Any Vintage 30 Love

swampblues

Reaction score
I find myself my 4x12 Marshall 1960a getting muddier and fuzzy sounding. All Vintage 30's are only about 6 years old and all sound fine clean but anything close to breakup on my JTM 45 starts sounding muddy. Just bought another cab to use and probably gonna go with different speakers. Any idea's or preference on speakers

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
How long have the valves been in yer amp? Valve don't just work... and then they don't. They start off loud and toneful and get quieter and crappy as they get used.
If they're over a year old and get a lot of use, that'd be my first stop.
Doesn't matter what brand you change from/to, new valves always sound dramtaically better than knackered ones.

CaptainT

Reaction score
I don´t have much experience with different speakers, but I have a Bassbreaker 18/30 (sounding AC30-like in channel one and rather Marshall-like in channel 2) with Celestion V-Types in it and I really like them. No mud at all.

My amp tech, who is very much into vintage amps and sound says, that these are the only modern Celestions he really likes. Personally I think the price is really good, too.

Attachments

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an older rear loaded Bogner 412 loaded with V30’s. Great Cab, I still have it & will never sell it.

I’ve also had the same era Bogner 212 OS Cab with a V30 + G12H30. Also sounded awesome.

I’m wondering if the Marshall Cab is contributing because my Bogner Cab (which is significantly more solid than Marshall Cabs) does not sound muddy in any way shape or form.

If I were swapping Speakers & lived in the US I’d look at loading Scumbacks. Talk to Jim & ask his advice. Plus they’ll arrive broken in.

My feeling has always been that most people who aren’t V30 fans, is that their Speakers have not been well played in.

My 2c FWIW.

Good luck.

:cheers2:

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have an Orange PPC112 single V30 loaded cab. It sounds stellar right now because the speaker is well broken in. It sounded rather harsh when brand new, so I was, at first, disappointed. It's a different story as far as the V30's tone is concerned right now. No
harshness, plenty of low end (you can feel it) and brings out the tone of my Les Pauls in all their glory.

Classicplayer

scozz

Reaction score
If I were you I would check the tubes like @somebodyelseuk suggested. As far as speakers go, there’s nothing that sounds as good as Greenbacks in a 4-12 cab imo! I’m a big fan of Celestion Greenbacks and Creambacks.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Have you tried plugging a different amp into that cab? Process of elimination. ..

Eigen

Reaction score
I have a pair in an Orange PPC212 cab, not getting any mud. If anything they are quite sharp sounding due to the 1khz hump.

I would check out the tubes as someone already mentioned.

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 2 V30’s in an open-back cab that I’ve been using for 15 years with 5 different Marshall heads, 50 and 100 watts. Never had a hint of mud in all that time.

StudioFan

Reaction score
Could be you have just worn those bitches out .

Joe B said he only gets about 70 hours ....or something out of his Celestions before they blow ....or get replaced .
Speakers are a wear item after all .

Either that or your hearing is going away .
Do you use ear plugs ?

matthew bear

Reaction score
looks like you got it sorted already...

But since I'm here, V30's are awesome when broken in!

I'm really glad my Orange 2x12 was used when I got it, as the speakers are in the sweet spot. Thunderous tones abound!

lunchbox

Reaction score
G12M-25's sound excellent with a JTM45, IMO. That's probably what I would go with.

V30's, while my favorite overall speaker, are probably aren't the best match for that amp.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
I like vintage 30s and can totally see wanting to swap. however vintage 30s are really never muddy and ill-defined, so tubes are a good spot to look at first. Do you know for sure your 1960a contains vintage 30s as it is? Usually they dont...

Could be you have just worn those bitches out .

Joe B said he only gets about 70 hours ....or something out of his Celestions before they blow ....or get replaced .
Speakers are a wear item after all .

Either that or your hearing is going away .
Do you use ear plugs ?
Joe B isn't "wearing out" his Celestions at 70 hours unless he is overpowering them on purpose to get the speaker distortion sound. A reasonable expense in his position.

Last edited:

smk506

Reaction score
I like how speakers last 70 hours and tubes are bad in a year these days :laugh2: I’d like it even more if I sold speakers and tubes, I’m sure.

Meanwhile, here I am contemplating changing tubes in my bassman after over 10 years of service... I gotta be more on the ball I guess. :rofl:

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
I like how speakers last 70 hours and tubes are bad in a year these days :laugh2: I’d like it even more if I sold speakers and tubes, I’m sure.

Meanwhile, here I am contemplating changing tubes in my bassman after over 10 years of service... I gotta be more on the ball I guess. :rofl:
Back when I was gigging four nights a week and rehearsing two, valves got changed annually, strings every two gigs. I've just replaced the 40 year old speakers.
Your valves might last ten years, but you don't notice them gettig dull and quiet. Even after a year, the difference is massive.
After ten... you're going to need to turn the volume down.