Any TS808HW love out there?

joff

Reaction score
Any of you guys tried out, owned or still own a TS808HW?

I have not tried one out yet...but i have noticed that no-one seems to mention anything about it on threads asking for OD buying advice.

All thoughts about it are welcome! :)

chupe442

Confused as ever.....
Reaction score
The hand-wiring makes the price a killer and therefor not worth the mention.. It becomes an object of "cork-sniffery" then. The TS808 is the beast that all come and try to push off the mountain. Those that have them, love them. Those that don't, are always looking for what is better.
In the end, the guitar, amp and play style come into factor but a $300.00 (+) pedal that virtually can be had for $130.00 will seldom become popular.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Price is ridiculous. Bogus claims that it sounds better.

joff

Reaction score
OK guys, i get the message about the price of a new one being high, but i would buy a 2nd hand one anyway.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
I had one, I'm far from a cork sniffer and all I'm interested in is the sound and I found it to be edgier and definitely not as warm as my original '82 TS808...so sold it.
Maybe, like with guitars, the age of the components has something to do with it(?) but I find it weird that the more than capable guys at Ibanez didn't come up with an exact copy of the original, when some boutique folks do it on a regular basis; in this case the Fulltone FullDrive2 is just as good as the original TS808 AND with extra added features!
Having said that the Hand Wired one was still a good TS, worth buying...at the "right price"!

Burst Boy

Reaction score
I was keen for one but ended up buying a TS808DX because of the extra versatility, although it's rather expensive anyway. I have a TS808 RI which is edgy and not as smooth as the DX so maybe it sounds closer to the HW. Anyway, I'm all TSd out 'cause I also have a FD2 and TS9DX :rolleyes: There all good in there own way.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Cool Idea. Too much $. I sold my TS and Maxon a while ago. If I were to get another TS, it wouldn't be hand wired.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Hand wired gets a bit of bashing when talking about amps: I recently bought a hand wired Fender '64 Custom Deluxe reverb which is essentially the same circuit (bar a few tweaks) as the 'standard' PCB version for about half the price, plus a pine cab and a different speaker/cosmetics. However, in this case I can justify it as I'll be able to repair a hand wired amp in years to come, whereas surface mount or cheap PCB amps are much harder to repair (for me anyway) and I want this to last me out. It may become collectable, but it's unlikely to ever be worth more than I paid for it in my lifetime; it was just a 'once in a lifetime' treat as I've wanted a Blackfaced Fender since playing a Twin in the 1980s.

With pedals I just can't see much point: It's still a PCB I presume, rather than a bunch of components hanging on tag strips? The cheaper version likely flow soldered and components loaded by machine, which makes it cheaper to produce but shouldn't be inherently any less reliable. Any difference in sound is going to be down to circuit changes/component values rather than whether it was hand soldered or flow soldered.

FWIW I bought the 'reissue' TS808 a few years ago after waiting since the 1980s as they were too expensive for me then...I honestly couldn't say if it sounds different to the original as I only ever tried one in a shop and 30+ years later, but I love it.

That reminds me I need to dig it out and try it into the Deluxe.

Es Paul

Reaction score
I've had many Ts808 pedals over the years. Except for an original. But the HW is far superior to the other issues. I play it through a Twin reverb, which can expose a turd pedal instantly. The hand wired doesn't have that terrible digital decay that the standard 808 does. It cleans up nicely when the volume is rolled. The knobs actually serve a great purpose and there are a few sweet spots. $400 is a lot, but worth it. Second hand at $250 is a bargain, if you ask me. I've since sold all of my 808's since getting the HW. It's the way it should've sounded since the beginning.