Any Traditional Lovers Here?

Pancreas

Reaction score
Hey Group,
About me: I am now 56 years old and have been playing guitar since high school. I've been playing Gibson for 25 years. I've been fortunate enough to have owned over a dozen Les Pauls. A few Standards, an 80's Custom, a few Studios and even 2 BFG'S. Some were great, some were just good.
Several months ago I stumbled across a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional in Tobacco Burst, in good shape. This is my first "Tradional" model.
This particular guitar has quickly rocketed to the top of my all time favorites. The feel, the playability the looks and the TONE are the best I've ever owned. It's a stock guitar, (I've only added Strap Locks and Reflector Knobs) with the Burstbucker 1 & 2 set. But it just plays and sounds like a dream. Better than any other Hobson I've played.
Now, I'm wondering if all Traditionals play and sound this good, or if I just landed a gem.
I love the fact that it has NO weight relief, no push-pull gimmicks.
The way the LP God's intended.
So, did I just land my desert island guitar by chance? Or, are these Traditionals just that good? I'd love to score another one.
20210726_155754_copy_973x1952.jpg

So if you own one, let me know! With pics, naturally.
Thanks!

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
I had one a few years back but mine was a clown burst. That was the only reason I didn’t keep it was the color. But that one is definitely on the regret to let go list.

Congratulations on yours! She’s a beaut!

canesfan

Reaction score
That’s a great looking Traditional! I also have one, but mine’s a Blueberry Burst. To be honest, it’s a bit of a love/hate relationship with that one for me. First off, a thicker neck profile than my other LPs, to the point that I’ll start to feel it after a good amount of time. Second, not a huge fan of the BB1/BB2 pickups. I find my Traditional to be more amp dependent in getting the tone I’m looking for. Third, weight…comes in at 9.5 lbs. On the plus side, it’s a beautiful guitar and my wife’s favorite of the bunch, which is pretty cool. The effort in dialing in the right sound is worth it. When you find the sweet spot, it sings. Like you said, no gimmicks and I knew what I was getting into with the no weight relief. At the end of the day, she’s a keeper.

Attachments

TheWelder

Reaction score
Congrats on the beautiful Trad. Good to hear that it’s a keeper. There are really great ones and other that are just OK in every range and price point, Trads included.

Pancreas

Reaction score
That’s a great looking Traditional! I also have one, but mine’s a Blueberry Burst. To be honest, it’s a bit of a love/hate relationship with that one for me. First off, a thicker neck profile than my other LPs, to the point that I’ll start to feel it after a good amount of time. Second, not a huge fan of the BB1/BB2 pickups. I find my Traditional to be more amp dependent in getting the tone I’m looking for. Third, weight…comes in at 9.5 lbs. On the plus side, it’s a beautiful guitar and my wife’s favorite of the bunch, which is pretty cool. The effort in dialing in the right sound is worth it. When you find the sweet spot, it sings. Like you said, no gimmicks and I knew what I was getting into with the no weight relief. At the end of the day, she’s a keeper.
Now that's a beauty too!
I've noticed that the used prices on these seem to be going up too. Not that I'm selling anytime soon, just an observation.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Congrats on the beautiful Trad. Good to hear that it’s a keeper. There are really great ones and other that are just OK in every range and price point, Trads included.
Thanks, I figured as much. But since this is my first Traditional, I thought it may be more than coincidence.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I'm sure you know :), but these 2019 traditionals are the old standards. I regret to this day I passed on a new old stock 2019 traditional for $1899, which is virtually the same guitar as the 2020-2021 standard for $2500

great rock machines for sure!

Pancreas

Reaction score
I'm sure you know :), but these 2019 traditionals are the old standards. I regret to this day I passed on a new old stock 2019 traditional for $1899, which is virtually the same guitar as the 2020-2021 standard for $2500

great rock machines for sure!
I've heard that they're the new Standards. I found mine, with a few minor dings, for $1400, at a pawn shop in Amish country. I couldn't pass it up.

Pancreas

Reaction score
I had one a few years back but mine was a clown burst. That was the only reason I didn’t keep it was the color. But that one is definitely on the regret to let go list.

Congratulations on yours! She’s a beaut!
Thanks man, I've never been a big fan of the cherry (clown) burst either.

Knoby

Reaction score
Nice guitar. I remember trying one a while ago. It was very nice felt great but I still prefer the slim taper neck.

Is the neck profile on the old trad same as the 50s profile on the new standard?

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
I may have owned one (or fifteen) Traditionals. Great guitars. Congrats on that beauty.

Pancreas

Reaction score
Nice guitar. I remember trying one a while ago. It was very nice felt great but I still prefer the slim taper neck.

Is the neck profile on the old trad same as the 50s profile on the new standard?
I haven't played any of the new 50's Standards, but the neck on my Trad is pretty beefy, but not obscene fat.

pirate19

Reaction score
Love mine--2009 Goldtop (50s neck), 2014 Goldtop P90 Bigsby (60s neck), 2017 Heritage Cherry (50s neck)

kewl kat

Reaction score
I passed on a '19 Tobacco Burst a little over 6 months ago, which was in like new condition (no case) for $1399.

I actually canceled the order! I guess we all have these moments in the back of our minds where we just shake our heads!

:dunno:

peobryant

Reaction score
My '18 Traditional is an amazing guitar, the neck feels fantastic, the pickups sound great, and the fit and finish is perfect.

That being said, it is my #2. My #1 is my Wildwood Select '50s Standard. The neck is a bit thicker, the Wildwood Spec '59 Tribute pups are a bit better (for the tone I like) and I like the color more, too.

Both are incredible guitars and a blast to play.

Injector

Reaction score
I heard that the earlier ones had genuinely chunky necks but I hated the neck on my 2019 Trad. Everything else was great; the looks, the spec, the sound but that neck was a clunker. A kind of thin D shape near the nut which tapered fatter up the neck but then it had too much shoulder.

The 50s Standard has a MUCH nicer neck IMO, and my R7 has the nicest neck of the three. I sold the Trad purely because I just couldn't bond with the neck. If it had been my only guitar then I could have got used to it but every time I played another guitar it always immediately felt better than the Trad and then when I went back to the Trad I had to learn to like it all over again because it felt dismal. YMMV.

RyanMW

Reaction score
Mine is a 2013 lefty and I love it. Best guitar I've ever played, despite being a lefty and not being able to play many guitars in general. It's just really wonderful in every way. Easy to play. gorgeous sounding, etc. Since mine is a 2013, I think it has 57 classic and 57 classic plus humbuckers. They're really wonderful. The best clean tone I've ever gotten is shockingly w/ this guitar through the clean channel of my Mark V.

Latest Threads