Any REPUTABLE Classic car dealers online ?

toymaker

Reaction score
Ok - so just curious - anyone point me in the direction of a reputable online dealer in classics?

I’m debating the idea of just buying what I’ve wanted for a while as my “backup” truck for the farm and skipping the used truck insanity. I mean - if I’m putting over 5k - and pushing 10-12k into something - I’d rather just put a few more thousand more into a decently done ‘74-79 square body Chevy truck and know that anything that goes wrong can be fixed and at a semi reasonable cost.

Of course online is the absolute jungle - especially when your dealing with 40+ year old vehicles. People can and will lie their asses off about things like condition. I’d like to find a decent dealer - but again - the few that specialize in this stuff either have conflicting reviews or are just “consignment” sites taking a fee for connecting buyer/seller.

Since I don’t have the time/budget to fly around the country looking at vehicles and wasting my time with dreamers who cannot realistically value their vehicles - thought I’d try a dealer to see if I have any luck.

Looking at Gateway Classsic Cars - seems to be a mixed bag of reviews with most of the negative being sellers pissed at their commissions. Obviously- if they did find something I seriously liked with them I’d either arrange to inspect in person before any final sales agreement is signed and/or find a reputable party to inspect it at their lot and report back. Expecting the dealer to find and disclose all defects is a recipe for disaster.

They at least give an appearance that they do some inspection before listing anything. Again - they make nothing more than the $300 listing fee if they reject a car - but suspect they at least try to avoid big issues and upset buyers.

Anyone else out there that’s worth consulting ? I know - hit up the shows - but again - online covers so much more ground quicker. And the market is stupid crazy the last few years.

And if you happen to have a truck in nice shape that meets the qualifications- lmk. Would love one in blue - but I’m open. Got to try to find the photo of my grandfathers with me/grandad and dad in front of it for reference. It’s weird - dad/grandad had basically the same truck (‘77and a ‘76 respectively I think) - dad replaced his with a pimped out “79 a few years later - that one the neighbor still has all these years later. Nostalgia ain’t cheap I know - but hey - can’t take it with you when you kick off.

Olds442

Reaction score
Volo Auto Museum in Volo Illinois, not a cheap option.

There's another one just south of there on route 12, a couple miles or so. i forget the name, but they have very nice stuff. there's also the place in TX that's all over craigslist, never dealt with them though.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second Volo. Just sold a car with them on consignment. Jay is a great guy.

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
1C20DCD2-A98C-407F-AA6D-2DCF011750A2.jpeg

Not sure if the USA got this show.

Minder, 80’s comedy / drama. Chief protagonist was a dodgy car dealer, named Authur Daley.

toymaker

Reaction score
Will check them out

At this point it’s just preliminary - but I’d rather dump 30-35k in something that properly maintained will hold value than dump 10k in a “project” that cost me another 25k to make into a 15k project for the next guy when I give up.

Prices are just stupid these days for trucks - relative to where they were a few years ago.

As with any classic though - the nicer stuff will always appreciate faster.

toymaker

Reaction score
Looking at Showdown - kinda digging that Yenko tribute truck they have - different and kind of a conversation piece for those of us who will never be able to afford a “real” Yenko in our lives.

I know at this point in my life I have no need for a damn muscle car - young man’s game. Just would like to be able to sit back in my old age and look over my garage and shed with a few nice older trucks and tractors that make me smile and still being people around every now and then to look at them and BS for a bit.

Might as well enjoy having the free cash flow and get these things now. Never know what tomorrow brings or what prices will do.

Olds442

Reaction score
the search is a lot of fun, good luck.

Latest Threads