Any opinion on the wildwood serie ?

d2_racing

Reaction score
I really like your top duaneflowers.

It's a Quilted top bookmatch for sure.

Awesome :p

maverick08

Reaction score
Are you guys getting good deals from WW? I gave up on them a few years ago because they would not negotiate. One time was for a R8 when MAP was $3,700. "The best they could do" was $3,600. F them. I'll gladly pay for good service but not when other places treat you just as well for $1,000+ less.

+1. I found them very nice and knowledgeable, but also very high in price. Wouldn't budge much at all, so, I gave up.

Also, their "featherweights" can be matched in weight by almost any dealer, as can their tops.

Bottom line is, if you have the patience, I'd shop around. Try some of our sponsors. If you fall in love with one of WW's, you will get good customer service, and some knowledgeable people there, if but it's gonna cost you. Wasn't worth it IMO.

+1 That is my only complaint about Wildwood also. If it's a WW spec, Benchmark, Featherweight or limit model they feel will sell Wildwood usually will not negotiate much if any off MAP.

I love their service but I won't pay MAP when other great dealers that also provide great service will come way off MAP for the same models.

Echo these sentiments, this has been my experience with them as well. They are nice guys to chat with however.

blackie2

Reaction score
+1. I found them very nice and knowledgeable, but also very high in price. Wouldn't budge much at all, so, I gave up.

Also, their "featherweights" can be matched in weight by almost any dealer, as can their tops.

Bottom line is, if you have the patience, I'd shop around. Try some of our sponsors. If you fall in love with one of WW's, you will get good customer service, and some knowledgeable people there, if but it's gonna cost you. Wasn't worth it IMO.

I agree. I played one that was supposedly a featherweight and my R8 was actually lighter and it's not chambered or anything.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wildwood matched a great price on my CC#12, well below MAP. They did offer some decent discounts off MAP on Benchmarks and Featherweights I inquired about too. Not as much on those but still moved a good bit. I dealt with Bruce.

Stoj

Reaction score
They have great guitars too bad they don't ship to Australia, so I buy from dealers who do :cool:

geddy402

Reaction score
They came down quite a bit on my CC 11. I think it depends on how badly they want to move it...CC11 wasn't the most popular model so they were probably more willing to come down.

jlb32

Reaction score
Yeah it depends on the model and how hot they think the model is. If they think it's hot they won't budge much. If they are looking to get rid of some inventory they are more likely to negotiate. I've encountered both situations with them.

I still really like Wildwood but do prefer dealers that give the same discounts regardless of the model.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Music Zoo and Dave's Guitars are also "Benchmark" series dealers.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wildwood Spec R0. Fantastic guitar:

r0-5.jpg

Last edited:

d2_racing

Reaction score
I checked that one : Benchmark Limited Run Historic 1959 Chambered Les Paul Gloss

Benchmark Limited Run Historic 1959 Chambered Les Paul Gloss | 2013-2014 Limited Run Benchmark Guitars | Gibson Custom Shop | Electrics | Wildwood Guitars

It's a chambered one at 7.2lbs

I looked at this one too :

Historic Featherweight Wildwood Spec 1959 Les Paul Gloss | Historic Featherweight Wildwood Spec Les Paul | Gibson Custom Shop | Electrics | Wildwood Guitars

This one is a little bit heavier and non-chambered.

Does this can effect the tone since one is chambered and the other not ?

Finally, what is the diff between these 2 neck shapes :

Early 50' neck profile
Later 50' neck profile

I assume that late 50' is a little bit bigger then a 60' neck profile but smaller then the early 50'.

I'm not sure but early 50' neck is sometimes called big baseball bat shape.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
I checked that one : Benchmark Limited Run Historic 1959 Chambered Les Paul Gloss

Benchmark Limited Run Historic 1959 Chambered Les Paul Gloss | 2013-2014 Limited Run Benchmark Guitars | Gibson Custom Shop | Electrics | Wildwood Guitars

It's a chambered one at 7.2lbs

I looked at this one too :

Historic Featherweight Wildwood Spec 1959 Les Paul Gloss | Historic Featherweight Wildwood Spec Les Paul | Gibson Custom Shop | Electrics | Wildwood Guitars

This one is a little bit heavier and non-chambered.

Does this can effect the tone since one is chambered and the other not ?

Finally, what is the diff between these 2 neck shapes :

Early 50' neck profile
Later 50' neck profile

I assume that late 50' is a little bit bigger then a 60' neck profile but smaller then the early 50'.

I'm not sure but early 50' neck is sometimes called big baseball bat shape.

You will get varying opinions on whether or not the chambering effects the tone. Bottom line is, many artists tour with HEAVILY chambered versions of their guitars. Billy Gibbons, and Gary Rossington to name two.

Any 50's neck profile will be bigger than 60's, but I'm not sure about the early vs. late thing.

It sounds like you really need to get your hands on a few of these before you dive in and make a big purchase on a guitar you haven't played. Just my opinion...

d2_racing

Reaction score
It sounds like you really need to get your hands on a few of these before you dive in and make a big purchase on a guitar you haven't played. Just my opinion...

Yeah you are right, I'm going to Nashville this week to visit the Memphis Custom Shop and I asked them if they have a R8 and R9 model in the factory store and they said yes.

So finally, I will be able to play with them.

It's big money, so I want to be 100% sure.

Thanks again everyone for all your answers :p

Lemonhead

Reaction score
When I bought an R8 from them, I simply said "If you can do it for xxx, I will buy it from you."

They said "sure.":)

Saved more than $400.

NotScott

Reaction score
I bought my PRS and CC4 from Wildwood. Both times I shopped for the best price I could find and Wildwood matched it without any BS. They also setup both guitars exactly as I requested. I worked with Steve and Lance. I would recommend them to anybody.

d2_racing

Reaction score
Bruce from Wildwood said to me that they cannot ship to Canada. I may end up going to Colorado to pick my guitar one day.

I hope that I will find a decent Gibson Custom shop that actually have custom shop models.

I didn't find one at least in Quebec city.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Yeah you are right, I'm going to Nashville this week to visit the Memphis Custom Shop and I asked them if they have a R8 and R9 model in the factory store and they said yes.

So finally, I will be able to play with them.

It's big money, so I want to be 100% sure.

Thanks again everyone for all your answers :p

Are you going to the Custom Shop in Nashville, or the U.S.A. facility in Memphis? They are quite a distance from one another with completely different guitars. Just F.Y.I..

Latest Threads