Any One Change Magnets

swampblues

Reaction score
Anyone ever try changing magnets in MIJ pickups? If so how did it work. Have 2 sets with A5 but wanna try to find some A2 or A3 and try it

ARandall

Reaction score
Plenty of people have swapped out magnets over the years.

Results always depend on the pickup in question and the precise magnet you put in.

swampblues

Reaction score
Plenty of people have swapped out magnets over the years.

Results always depend on the pickup in question and the precise magnet you put in.
Guess you can do that with MIJ pickups too

ARandall

Reaction score
Will depend on the pickup in question.
Some makers from all around the world have been known to glue the mags in........others don't.

swampblues

Reaction score
Just watch a couple on YouTube looks pretty easy Thanks

ARandall

Reaction score
Only thing to watch for is damaging hookup wires. The rest is about as easy as the vids make it.

Go slow the first time......

David Garner

Reaction score
Only thing to watch for is damaging hookup wires. The rest is about as easy as the vids make it.

Go slow the first time......

Be very careful. I apparently nicked the coil when I was rolling magnets in my Antiquity set. I had to send it in for a rewind.

Having said that, if you are careful, it's super easy. The point is it is deceptively easy, so be cautious with every single mag change.

For what it's worth, I prefer UOA5 and A2 magnets to all others. A5s are great in single coils but I tend to not like them as much in humbuckers. Too much bass and treble, not enough mids. They work well in the hotter pickups, though. I tried A4s in the Antiquities and to my ears they were way too crisp. I'd wager a wind centered around A4s (like the BKP Mules, which are highly regarded) would work better, but I hated them in the Antiquities.

jlee

Reaction score
Swapped magnets in my ‘81 Tokai ES100j. Don’t know if they are the original pickups. No indicators of who produced them. They were very sharp and bright. Swapped to some Throbak UO-A5s and I’m a happy camper.

Latest Threads