Any Motorcycle Riders?

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I don't know how it happened but mine had the quick shifter software installed from the factory and I never actually ordered it or paid for it. I did order the heated grips and cruise control as well.
I gotta ask. Caleb, what does riding do for you?? I know it clears my head and I love the smells and shit and I'm sure you need that more than most, but what drives you to put the miles on the bike that you do and the places you go? Alone.

My Harley makes me feel bikerish and butch. It's a pretty bike and all the old guys look at me when I ride. I feel like a gay old biker when I ride it.

My sportbike (CBR1000) gives me the most out of a bike that I want. Not a million miles, but great handling, way more power than I can use and just a great sound and feeling.

I freakin' love dirtbiking, but I have nobody to ride with or a bike for that. I'd love to do just that.

How did you go from no bike to buying everything motard and logging a shit ton of miles?? Is it more the ride or the bike or what?
Does the bike mean anything to you or is just a top of the line tool to get you where you want to be?

Just wondering as you're an odd egg in the riding world.

Your job is brutal I'm sure, just different how you went from where you were to where you are now.

You can tell me to F*CK Off here. No offense, just being nosey. :)

Caleb

Reaction score
I gotta ask. Caleb, what does riding do for you?? I know it clears my head and I love the smells and shit and I'm sure you need that more than most, but what drives you to put the miles on the bike that you do and the places you go? Alone.

My Harley makes me feel bikerish and butch. It's a pretty bike and all the old guys look at me when I ride. I feel like a gay old biker when I ride it.

My sportbike (CBR1000) gives me the most out of a bike that I want. Not a million miles, but great handling, way more power than I can use and just a great sound and feeling.

I freakin' love dirtbiking, but I have nobody to ride with or a bike for that. I'd love to do just that.

How did you go from no bike to buying everything motard and logging a shit ton of miles?? Is it more the ride or the bike or what?
Does the bike mean anything to you or is just a top of the line tool to get you where you want to be?

Just wondering as you're an odd egg in the riding world.

Your job is brutal I'm sure, just different how you went from where you were to where you are now.

You can tell me to F*CK Off here. No offense, just being nosey. :)
Well I tell ya. Riding does so much for me. I get a lot of funny looks at the miles I regularly do, and your question is a familiar one. What "drives" me to do it? It's not that I'm particularly driven or have some goal or anything, I just love riding. Just the experience. Flying down the road, leaning into curves, going somewhere new, all that shit.

I became a heavily dedicated motorcyclist shortly after I quit drinking booze. I don't really sleep that much and I really needed something, anything, to fill what free time I had. I quickly realized that excessively long saddle times don't particularly bother me or put me in much discomfort and that it's something I actually immensely enjoy. I'm kind of good at endurance style activities because they don't necessarily require a massive amount of skill or experience per se, just a willingness to, well, endure. I kind of like that. And solo motorcycle trips with bare bones planning are a great expression of that ideal.

As far as the motorcycle itself, it is close to what you said for me: A top line tool to go. Not really to get me to where I want to be, because half the time I don't really want to be anywhere. I just love to go. For me the ride is infinitely more important than the destination; it's a rare occasion when I spend more than one day in any one spot while I'm out touring. One day is plenty for me, anywhere. In short I love the getting there, not the being there. The specific bike itself is important of course, but in a supremely pragmatic way as opposed to an emotional one. Which kind of explains why I tend to chew bikes up, spit them out, and get another one. There's always another bike.

To address my penchant for solo trips a little further, there are a couple of reasons why I always ride like that. One is that I enjoy the alone time. Put a helmet on me and get me out of the city and I'm just another asshole on the road. That kind of anonymity is hugely liberating. Another reason, which is practical as opposed to philosophical, is this: You try finding someone to ride across the country with you next week :laugh2:. It ain't easy finding someone else who wants to do that, especially at a pace that a more casual rider might find kind of brutal and most days ending late at a campsite or just roadside.

Anyway Bigfoot, there's my ramblings for the day. :thumb:

Bigfoot410

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I tell ya. Riding does so much for me. I get a lot of funny looks at the miles I regularly do, and your question is a familiar one. What "drives" me to do it? It's not that I'm particularly driven or have some goal or anything, I just love riding. Just the experience. Flying down the road, leaning into curves, going somewhere new, all that shit.

I became a heavily dedicated motorcyclist shortly after I quit drinking booze. I don't really sleep that much and I really needed something, anything, to fill what free time I had. I quickly realized that excessively long saddle times don't particularly bother me or put me in much discomfort and that it's something I actually immensely enjoy. I'm kind of good at endurance style activities because they don't necessarily require a massive amount of skill or experience per se, just a willingness to, well, endure. I kind of like that. And solo motorcycle trips with bare bones planning are a great expression of that ideal.

As far as the motorcycle itself, it is close to what you said for me: A top line tool to go. Not really to get me to where I want to be, because half the time I don't really want to be anywhere. I just love to go. For me the ride is infinitely more important than the destination; it's a rare occasion when I spend more than one day in any one spot while I'm out touring. One day is plenty for me, anywhere. In short I love the getting there, not the being there. The specific bike itself is important of course, but in a supremely pragmatic way as opposed to an emotional one. Which kind of explains why I tend to chew bikes up, spit them out, and get another one. There's always another bike.

To address my penchant for solo trips a little further, there are a couple of reasons why I always ride like that. One is that I enjoy the alone time. Put a helmet on me and get me out of the city and I'm just another asshole on the road. That kind of anonymity is hugely liberating. Another reason, which is practical as opposed to philosophical, is this: You try finding someone to ride across the country with you next week :laugh2:. It ain't easy finding someone else who wants to do that, especially at a pace that a more casual rider might find kind of brutal and most days ending late at a campsite or just roadside.

Anyway Bigfoot, there's my ramblings for the day. :thumb:
Thanks for that. :)

Teledan

Reaction score
Any XR650R riders here? I am thinking about selling my XR400 and getting one.