Any Motorcycle Riders?

kmk108

Reaction score
After years of considering it, I'm going to take a class this summer and get my motorcycle license. I've been looking at different bikes, but I'm undecided on which one I want to get.

I first started looking at Harley's, because I'm not concerned with speed, like sportbikes offer. I was thinking about a Dyna Superglide, but they're a little out of my price range as things stand. Then, I looked at the sportsters. Adequate power for me, the ability to do 2-up, though not nearly as well as a Dyna and (at least starting out) they seem more comfortable than sportbikes. The main thing I've seen from people talking about Sportsters is that people soon find that they have "outgrown" the bike and want to move up to the Dyna. Is this purely based on speed and the ability to ride 2-up or is it just the overall comfort?

Then, I started looking at sportbikes. I was always under the impression that sportbikes aren't as comfortable as cruisers, but I've heard some people say that, since they use different positions, some will find one more comfortable than the other. The Kawasaki 250r is a great starter bike: comfortable, forgiving and has "enough" power. Everyone I've seen says that you'll get bored of it. I looked at Honda CBR's, but if I can't find a good one for under $5k, I can't swing it...at least for now. I'm not looking to race. I'm not looking to fly on the freeway, but I am worried if the 250r is enough for the highway.

My limit (as it stands) would be about $5k. I'm not going to be speeding, I'm not going to be weaving in and out of traffic. I just want to get better gas mileage and enjoy riding.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
A nice honda.
You change the oil and they run.
A sportcrusier or a cruiser.
5k is used.

And when you get a few miles under your belt ask me why "weaving" in and out of traffic is safer than remaining in a line of cars.

kmk108

Reaction score
A nice honda.
You change the oil and they run.
A sportcrusier or a cruiser.
5k is used.

And when you get a few miles under your belt ask me why "weaving" in and out of traffic is safer than remaining in a line of cars.
I've actually heard nice things about the hondas, but I haven't looked at them a whole lot.

I'll be weaving when they're going too slow, but I'm not going to be going 20 over and weaving in tight spaces.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
GSXR 600, used. You say you don't need the speed or tight weave, but you will, you will. You'll be dragging knees from here to Timbuktu, before Labor Day.

mdubya

Reaction score
SV 650, Versys/Ninja 650, GS 500. All are more bike than any beginner needs. But all are capable of comfortable highway cruising.

I had a GS 500 for my gf and I used to troll sportbikes on it, on the weekends. It was more than competent on twisty roads.

All that said, I think motorcycles are dangerous and a bad choice on the street for a beginner. JMHO.

Deftone

Reaction score
GSXR 650, used. You say you don't need the speed or tight weave, but you will, you will. You'll be dragging knees from here to Timbuktu, before Labor Day.
What's a GSXR 650? :hmm:

SV 650, Versys/Ninja 650, GS 500. All are more bike than any beginner needs. But all are capable of comfortable highway cruising.
Good choices. I concur.

Tone deaf

Reaction score

I had a GS 500 for my gf and I used to troll sportbikes on it, on the weekends. It was more than competent on twisty roads.

All that said, I think motorcycles are dangerous and a bad choice on the street for a beginner. JMHO.
I'd have to agree with that last sentiment, however, as you know it's like a moth to the flame.

My old GS550ES was and is one of my favorite bikes of all time.

DagerOne

Reaction score
I picked up a 2006 Honda Shadow Aero from Craigslist last season for $4000...with only 936 miles on it. Now, that was a hell of a deal, but you can still get them consistently for less than $5k with a few more miles on them. It's 750cc, has a low center of gravity, and easily gets out of its own way. A "beginner's bike" that you can actually ride for a good long while, unlike so many of the 250s people tend to gravitate toward.

Deftone

Reaction score
It really depends on what type riding you want to do. Sportbikes are made for the track and they tend to be uncomfortable and difficult to handle in low speed maneuvering (narrow bars)

I'd look at the Yamaha FZ6. Good wind protection, agile, good handling, plenty of power (R6 motor, tuned for more low end and mid range) Very reliable. Yamaha tends to be second in reliability, just behind Honda. I commute on an FZ1 myself. It's a great all around bike.

If you want something sportier, the Honda F2, F3, F4 or F4i is a good choice.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Performance.
My ass. You don't need pipes that wake up everyone in a 2 mile radius for performance.

Besides, if you really want a performance bike, a Harley ain't it.