Any luthiers here into Violin repair and building?

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Hey all,
Anyone here into vintage violins? I love old violins and the traditions that go all the way back to Cremonis Italy, but can’t get much sound out of one. I have a stack of vintage repair and building books going back a half century or more. Many blueprints, drawings and notes in that stack too. I even have partially built violins (by me and others), forms and templates as well as a couple of unfinished (no finish applied) violins I bought in the late 70s. Thinking of moving them on to someone else to enjoy. Not sure of value, but I thought I would see if there was interest here before moving onto other forums.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Anyone here into vintage violins? I love old violins and the traditions that go all the way back to Cremonis Italy, but can’t get much sound out of one. I have a stack of vintage repair and building books going back a half century or more. Many blueprints, drawings and notes in that stack too. I even have partially built violins (by me and others), forms and templates as well as a couple of unfinished (no finish applied) violins I bought in the late 70s. Thinking of moving them on to someone else to enjoy. Not sure of value, but I thought I would see if there was interest here before moving onto other forums.
i love violins, but like guitar....can't play. in fact, since i was a teenager i always wanted to build one and bought a book and some plans, but never got my confidence up enough. If i had some extra cash i'd try to get something from you that could use some work and finishing, but things are pretty lean these days. i hope someone is interested so we can see pics. good luck

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I can play cello a little but the scale length for vioin is just too small for me to even believe I can do it. I have, however, done a little bit of violin repair work and I've made every component of a violin, but not a complete one of my own.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Have a violinist in one of the bands I play in and it's a fairly popular instrument in my part of rural Wisconsin.

They're beautiful to look at as are mandolins which my wife plays.

If you're a guitar player and someone hands you either for the first time it's a oh hell no moment.

Their small size, extremely light weight, and cost can make a person handle them gentler than a newborn.

A couple guys in the area do repairs on them. It takes a real craftsperson to work on the guitar's smaller cousins.

Moodivarius

Reaction score
Hey all,

I play, repaired many & built one.

If it’s volume you are talking about, “not getting much sound”, likely lack of vibration.
Ribs too thick, plates could be, sounds post set wrong, or bass bar built too heavy.

Check out how I built mine, might be some ideas in there for you.
Huge sound & mellow.

http://www.moodivarius.com/violin1.htm

Scott

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
oh wow. thanks for posting that link. these are my first love and hope to build up the courage to try to build one of these. i bookmarked your link so i can go back and dream. nice looking fiddle. looking forward to paging through the build.

fumblefinger

Reaction score
Find out which local schools have violins in their orchestra. Then find out where they take them for repair. See if that entity could help you. Unless you're close to Wichita, Ks. In that case I can steer you to someone who works on them on a regular basis and is a Certified Martin Warranty repair person.

Latest Threads