Any love for non-modeling solid state amp .

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
Never tried the "modeling amp" ride ,but I do like the old red knob Fender Princeton Chorus SS amps.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya know... the more I try to incorporate my JCM2000/DSL100 into my rig, the more I love my Mustang III. It's sooooo easy to use and needs no pedals, etc.

Nothing like the sound of a good tube amp, for sure. But, the M-III is pretty damn close and a whole lot more versatile.

I have no love for SS amps, but I gotta whole lotta love for my M-III.

Stonehead

Reaction score
The best SS amp i've ever used and still have in my collection is the Fender Princeton Chorus PR-82 black knob non DSP. Beautiful cleans, lush spring reverb, and one of the best sounding stereo chorus. 2X10 speakers are nice and punchy when cranked. Sounds excellent at low volumes (bedroom). Very under rated IMO. I still use it from time to time and I am still amazed at the tones it can produce. Great SS amp.
The drive channel leaves something to be desired but it is usable but nothing a good dirt box won't fix as the amp takes pedals very well.

yeti

Reaction score
I hear good things about these...Quilter Amps

Roland JC 120 and Lab series are great amps as well.

skysc

Reaction score
Ya know... the more I try to incorporate my JCM2000/DSL100 into my rig, the more I love my Mustang III. It's sooooo easy to use and needs no pedals, etc.

Nothing like the sound of a good tube amp, for sure. But, the M-III is pretty damn close and a whole lot more versatile.

I have no love for SS amps, but I gotta whole lotta love for my M-III.

i checked out the mustang III demo and soundclips and the high gain /metal stuff doesnt seem to sound good . like anything fender , the clean sounded great and the mustang III sound very versatilefor a modeling ... except for the high gain stuff . and i play 80 % on high gain .

are he high gain model any good ???

skysc

Reaction score
The best SS amp i've ever used and still have in my collection is the Fender Princeton Chorus PR-82 black knob non DSP. Beautiful cleans, lush spring reverb, and one of the best sounding stereo chorus. 2X10 speakers are nice and punchy when cranked. Sounds excellent at low volumes (bedroom). Very under rated IMO. I still use it from time to time and I am still amazed at the tones it can produce. Great SS amp.
The drive channel leaves something to be desired but it is usable but nothing a good dirt box won't fix as the amp takes pedals very well.

is there a difference between a black knob princeton chorus and a red knob ???

theres a red knob princeton chorus for sale for 150 $ in my local kijiji 2x10 combo .

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
I hear Peavey Bandits sound pretty good also Marshall Lead 12. The Marshall MOSFET amps are pretty good too from what I hear.

I used a Peavey Bandit in the 80s for small gigs, and even on some
pro studio recordings....Nice little amps......Also had a Roland JC 120, several SS Peavey full stacks, Crate SS Full stack and combos,
SS amps can be good......The Fender Mustang series are very popular, never used one, the Fender Front Man series are well regarded,
and I think they've been discontinued, darn shame...I'm back sniffing cork with all tube amps..The cork smells darn good these days....

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i checked out the mustang III demo and soundclips and the high gain /metal stuff doesnt seem to sound good . like anything fender , the clean sounded great and the mustang III sound very versatilefor a modeling ... except for the high gain stuff . and i play 80 % on high gain .

are he high gain model any good ???

I've never done any serious attempts at using getting a high gain / metal sound from mine. I don't play metal. Almost 99% of my needs are the models of the Marshall/Fender/Vox amps. Even at that, the factory settings are "less than stellar". I've tweaked them to my needs and/or downloaded other peoples presets.

There are amp models for high gain built in to the amp.

That said, there are a lot of user-uploaded presets on the Fender Fuse site for metal. Some of those could work for you.

Without the amp, however, I don't know how you would preview them... perhaps check on youtube?!!?!?

Stonehead

Reaction score
is there a difference between a black knob princeton chorus and a red knob ???

theres a red knob princeton chorus for sale for 150 $ in my local kijiji 2x10 combo .

Theres no difference, the red knobs are just the earlier version. The model is PR-82 same circuit, the black knobs came out in the 90's.

Mattyboy

Reaction score
As previously mentioned, the Vox Pathfinder 15r is a great little amp. Cleans are awesome & takes pedals very well!

Latest Threads