Any love for non-modeling solid state amp .

blakem

Reaction score
The Newer Peavey Bandit 112 with the trans tube technology... an INCREDIBLE Tone filled machine, I LOVE this amp. I gig with it, plenty loud, 80 watts.... tone heaven..

wgs1230

Reaction score
LabSeries? If it's good enough for BB King then it's good enough for me.

Among others. The Lab Series amps were designed by a guy from Buffalo named Dan Pearce (last I heard, he was with ART) who went on to build well regarded solid state guitar & bass amps under his own name in the '80s. The Pearce G-series were very pricey when new- comparable in cost to Boogie (at a time when Mesa's production and dealer network were both much smaller than today)- and they ran into serious service issues with integrated digital effects in the final versions. But the Pearce G2R is definitely one to look out for on the used market.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
In answer to your original question, I feel there is little love for any amp that is (in whole or in part) SS -- modeling or not. Yet there are some great jazz and blues players that have used them, and we all like their sound. There are guys who play country in large venues who need massive clean headroom, and SS is what they need.

So my question is, what do you play? If you play jazz, B.B.King type blues, or country, a SS amp may be for you. If these are not what you play, you simply do not want an SS amp (modeling our not).

Jody

Reaction score
RANDALL.....

'nuff said......

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
A really nice solid state combo was the Fender (red knob) Princeton Chorus amp..you can still find them and they are fairly inexpensive ,usually less than 200.00

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
i have a fender champion 110 that's a great sounding little amp. decent reverb, shitty gain channel. but for a house volume clean sound, it's pretty cool. made in USA, even. it's fun to have around.

lozzfab

Reaction score
Pretty much registered to jump into this post. I used to have just about every vintage tube amp you could name, quite a few high-gain boutiques as well. I've all but sworn off tube amps at this stage in favor of "vintage" solid state. dspelman has it right above - there were SO many incredibly good solid state and hybrid amps in the 70s and very early 80s. Most of these are forgotten and can be had for peanuts.

My main amp these days is a Yamaha G100 SS head, which I normally run with a Paul C Timmy clone up front and a 12" Weber Silver Bell at the output. The G100 sounds a lot like a good blackface Fender, but it is a bit brighter (can be dialed out / back easily) and it has a much easier time finding pedals it likes. Last summer I found an incredible closet-sale deal on a real-deal '65 Twin, working great, sounded very nice. I thought I'd keep it at what I paid, but side by side the G100 / Weber combo simply destroyed the Twin, no contest and no joke.

By the way, I paid $50 for the G100. It's been absolutely bulletproof.

I also have two MORE Yamaha SS combos from the same era / series (the stock speakers are horrible but they sound just as awesome pushing a cab), two great sounding Acoustic Control 150 heads ca. '70-71, a couple mid-late-70s orange-drip-edge Randall combos. They're all great. (80s Randalls like the 80 / 100ES are a different beast; the earlier Randalls mostly just do loud / fat / clean, which is all I want at this stage from my amp.)

You might be surprised to find that things like certain old Gallien-Krueger SS bass heads can make good guitar heads too. I just picked up an ancient 300B and the Tele sounded great through it once I tweaked the tone stack appropriately. (Oh yeah, and the GK 250ML mini-combo is particularly coveted by 80s hair-metal fiends. Check out a few Youtube videos, they really do sound amazing @ That Sound and, while tiny, also have the juice to push a bigger cab handily.)

A good SS amp / head can sound good at low volumes through a "real" cab. That is a big advantage over tube stuff (aside from reliability and fuss-free factor). Your SS practice amp might sound like just a practice amp, but see what it sounds like pushing a 2x12 even at low / bedroom practice levels and you might be surprised.

I think SS largely has a bad rep because of what corner-cutting companies like Crate did with it slightly later, and possibly a grapevine-slander-conspiracy on the part of the nation's MI techs to make sure they could stay in business. :)

hbucker

Reaction score
Peavey Bandits are an awesome package:

- Inexpensive
- Very solid tones, both clean and overdriven.
- Great for beginners but a weekend warrior could use it for gigs and it would work just fine.

Is it the best amp you can buy? No, that's not my point. It's the points I made above that make it a very hard amp to beat. ...And it's solid state.

entresz

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a Peavey. I love non modelling solid state amps. I have a few old Peaveys:
Bandit 65
Session 400
Programax 10
Studio Pro 112
Stereo Chorus 212

they all sound great. The best ones are the Session 400, Programax 10, and the Studio Pro 112.Sound great a low volumes as well as high volumes. They are incredibly well made, and will last forever if looked after.

Kamran

Reaction score
I have a Marshall mosfet lead 100 from '85 and it sounds pretty Damn incredible. I've gigged it over my JVM quite a few times, and usually get comments that it sounds awesome. Just hit it with an SD1 and you'll be in 800 heaven.

rybass

Reaction score
Sunn Beta Lead!

It's consistent at low and high volume. Can play at apartment levels or gig levels and I know the tone will be spot on. 2 channels with loops for each and a master loop. Great reverb. Takes pedals of all kinds. It has its own unique distortion.

I love it.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
before all this modeling and SS gear was non apologetic about what it was, I had a Rocktron Chameleon and a SS Ashly power amp. Ran it in stereo with 2 4x12 cabs. Played some pretty big clubs like that, too. Circa 1992 or so. I dont think there was a line 6 then.

skysc

Reaction score
before all this modeling and SS gear was non apologetic about what it was, I had a Rocktron Chameleon and a SS Ashly power amp. Ran it in stereo with 2 4x12 cabs. Played some pretty big clubs like that, too. Circa 1992 or so. I dont think there was a line 6 then.

i agree that ive been surprised by my old rocktron voodu valve preamp. pretty solid distortion tone with it . i used to play it with heapdhones and the amp simulation through headphones sound pretty good . rocktron are invisible right now in the u.s since they have been bought by GHS , but in the 90's , they had some great product, made in u.s.a .

i wonder how a marshall JMP-1 would sound through the headphone output ?

Gundecker

Reaction score
I have a mix of tube, hybrid and non-modeler SS amps. All twin 12's except to Valstae head paired with a 4x12. My Jc120 is outstanding as far as a pristine clean/ chorus sound. It doesn't take pedals all that good but put a floor processor in front and whoa! I use a Boss Gt-6. My Peavey Special 212 is a beast as far as power and putting out overdriven sounds. I do not agree that these amps sound the same at any volume. There is a point where to sound like an overdriven tube amp you have to push some air. To me they sound better at mid volumes. I had a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. That amp would peel paint and stay incredibly clean. The stereo function would have you believe it was two separate 65 w amps. Alas it was cut from the herd. I would also take exception to the comment about Crates. I'be and gigged three 212's. all USA made. These amps have a great deep clear clean sound and the "OD " fx aren't too shabby. They take pedals very well.
They got cut as I traded, bought and sold. The Jc120 and PV are keepers.... For now.

QReuCk

Reaction score
I would like to point out that non-modelling is not quite a precise term. You can have analog modelling, which some refer too as "emulating". These do not pretend to "model" a specific tube amp per see, but to emulate the reaction of tube amps. Peavey transtube can be put in this category.
I own an US made Envoy 110 (the little brother of the bandit). Very usable as a bedroom amp, but still can be used in a band for rehearsal (you would need external speakers to use it really in a gig I guess). The clean tone is absolutely wonderfull with a good warm guitar but might sound flat if the guitar lacks these quality (it is very transparent). The distortion chanel can sound very good but is very dependant on the guitar used also. I was always able to find at least a good moderate gain tone and a great high gain tone with any guitar, but they are very different from one guitar to the other and at different settings too. Moderate gain can clean up reasonably with guitar volume, but not as good as with a tube amp or with an higher end SS amp. I had better results for really slight crunchs clean boosting the clean chanel rather than reducing the input of the drive chanel. When using a lot of gain, this amp does produce some noise, but it is bearable.

I also use a Tech21 Trademark 120 as my main amp. It is discontinued and a bit of an overkill if you want a bedroom amp, but still very usable at bedroom levels. Tone wise, for me it's on par with most tube amps under 1000$, but is far more versatile thanks to a 3 chanel design, every one of which can be set to use either of 3 very different modes (a tweed, a british and a californian) and with full control of gain, level and 3 band EQ.
You could find the TM30 for bedroom and small rehearsals which is a single chanel 30W that still have the 3 modes or a trademark 60 which only has 2 chanels with a fixed mode for each one but can also sound amasingly well and is still super versatile (chanel one is very fender-ish and chanel 2 can be used for vox-ish or marshall-ish tones depending on EQ settings and switches activated or not). They are not affordable SS amps, though. But if you consider tone and versatility, they still are great value for the money (as Peavey transtuves are in another power/price ratio range).
Fender FM for me are mostly a power/price ratio thing. They sound OK and are usable, but what should lead you to them is if you want to have a bedroom amp for the price of a bedroom amp, but still need to use it for rehearsals/gigs.
There are a lot of other options to consider on the market, and even more so if you also consider the used market (Laney LV, Hugues and Kettner Edition Blue, some Roland, the Lab series, Lead 12's, some Marshall valvestates, even the Orange crush's and Vox pathfinders, some Fender...).

Anyway, although I fully agree that a good analog SS amps sounds a lot better than what people usually think if they feed a decent cab and are definitely the way to go if you want to be able to play from bedroom levels to gig levels with the same amp, don't assume they sound exactly the same at any volume. For instance, my tech21 trademark sounds very good at bedroom levels despite its 120W rating (more like 2x60W in fact and a lot of that is reserved for the boost function), but push it to where the 2x12 speakers start to move some air (like for an outdoor gig) and to where this air moved start to interact with the guitar strings and you have a whole nother playing experience. SS analog amps sound as close as possible at bedroom levels as at full volume, but there isn't really a substitute for harmonic feedback which can only comes with some volume.

sc0rch

Reaction score
Been using this since 2008. a Peavey TransFex Pro 212s

I fitted it with Eminence Legend GB128 speakers and latest firmware chip (2.0). I changed the power amp section's power transistors with some military spec ones. Super reliable amp for a 1997 model. I can get any sound I want out of this and it cuts through a band mix VERY well onstage. Controlled with a UNO chipped FCB1010 programmed for stompbox mode.

996708_10152907089045263_1373576957_n.jpg

sg13

Reaction score
Marshall Lead 12.. Just picked up a head for real cheap. They sound great through a 2x12 cab, and take a boost very nicely. Best bedroom Marshall you can pickup for next to nothing.

Also too, you can reamp it for gigs if you wanted.. Sounds nice as well.

nick1962

Reaction score
Either of these would do the job for you, trust me! The Master Reverb combo is great for bedroom playing, whilst the AVT50 head through a halfstack is as loud as you'll ever need...

Attachments

• dispenser.jpg
    dispenser.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 17
  • avth.jpg
    avth.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest Threads