Any love for Gibson superstrats?

BKS

Reaction score
Right now, i have 3. 2 U2's and an amazing M3.
Really Love the m3 amazing guitar. At the store i have lessons the have one on display in red. I can't help my self every time the m3 is mentioned to tell them i love the red but the flame maple fretboard makes mine awesome.....
So how about yours?
DSC_2747_compress30.jpg
DSC_2574_compress94.jpg

BKS

Reaction score
Those were never really loved by Gibson fanboys. But Gibson was also too late with them. Still, great guitars just not as well known.

fleahead

Reaction score
At the Elgin plant a guy was able to buy a prototype M III that was made for NAMM. It was unlike any other. It was a Koa body, Mahog neck with Ebony board and white MoP inlays. It looked killer...

But (true) Henry had to add his 2cents; the striped pickguard (that so many hated) and insisting on the maple board - which just has never been that successful with Gibson. Some of the USA folks were pissed because it was already hard enough to get people to look seriously at non-traditional models...

It was a killer guitar, but the neck twisted and I guess it sits in a case in Nashburg now.

JT Riboloff was the guy that came up with that switching - which is genius I think.

BKS

Reaction score
I believe the whole guitar was Riboloff. I used to own a Samick Riboloff that looked a little like it... Well if you sqeeze your eyes a little ;)
Switching on the m3 is genius, they should make a little toggle switch plate for it saying fender/Gibson.

fleahead

Reaction score
Riboloff was a genious - and a truly cool dude. Great lefty player and one of his hobbies was modding Marshalls. Really amazing.

He came up with the Nighthawk (which to me was a criminally overlooked guitar) over one weekend. Henry threatened to fire him on a Friday at 5pm if he did not come up with a new guitar by that coming Monday. Monday morning the Nighthawk was introduced. He consumed a lot of Marlboros and Coke over that weekend. That was his fuel.

Reactions: BKS

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Those things look awesome. I love banana Kramer’s, so obviously I really like that U2. I’d love to pick one up some day.

moreles

Reaction score
From me, it's a no. Not that those are awful, or that there's anything off about Gibson trying to reach into a different style guitar. I'd simply rather have a Strat or Charvel.

Latest Threads