Any info on this mystery Les Paul

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
My advice would be don't buy this unless you really like emg pickups. There are millions of studios out there, so it shouldn't be hard to find another one you like/available in your vicinity. When I was shopping for a used custom, I had six to choose from. The cheapest of the bunch had passive emg pickups. Sure, the pickups can be swapped easily and there was no additional routing to worry about as they were the passive type, but that was enough for me to forget about that guitar and check out the others.

That said, if you do like the emgs, then go ahead. I'm sure it'll be a fine guitar. Out of interest, what guitar(s) are you trading to make this happen?

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
That's the first time I've seen a Studio with a dot fretboard. I think you could get a nicer example with the traditional inlays on the board.

ain't nothing wrong with dots on studios
IMG_0501.JPG

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems to me that most Studios have dots.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i rather like it,as long as you are happy with the trade go for it.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Well bowl me over with a feather. I never realised there were so many versions of the Les Paul, with dot markers.

I guess because I've only seen the "normal" style Les Paul's , it makes a dot marker board look really shocking to me.

i'd take binding and dots over no binding and traps any day, just look at all the specials. Plus, the '80s were a very special time for the big G

just look at the XR series, mainly the XR1 and XR3, which were the early "studios," then there were the studios, studio standards, studio customs, etc.... Dots happened way before traps.

fretout

Reaction score
I love a good Wine Red Studio LP! It is a little strange how light those fretboards are. It’s almost too orange, but that’s just my preference.

OP, if you’re not too familiar with your LPs, the main differences on the LP Studios vs an LP Standard are mostly cosmetic (ie. body binding, fretboard binding, pickups, inlays vary, ect.), but one non-cosmetic difference is the fact that the Studios have a thinner body that an LP Standard/Custom. This may make the Studio lighter (depending on the wood used), but they are killer guitars.

And, just for some reassurance, I have EMG 81/85s installed on a few of my Les Pauls. They are a great sounding active pickup, but after many years playing LPs with EMGs, I residscovered how amazing the 57 Classic pickups are. If you play hard rock, metal, or if you need pristine cleans, EMGs will work great!

moreles

Reaction score
If you want EMGs, then that's a generic Studio w/ EMGs, at a reasonable price. While there's nothing wrong with EMGs, most LP buyers/players want passive HBs. Personally, given the fact that there are a zillion (or two) Studios on the market, I wouldn't go for anything but exactly what I want, and for me that would not be an EMG-loaded wine red guitar. What do you want?

Latest Threads