Any idea what this kind of flame is called?

Ronkirn

Reaction score
that is simply Flame Maple... ya gotta remember, it's wood, wood is organic, just like those first two wives... it can look quite different from your expectations.. the reality... :eek2:

just because "you" saw a Flame Maple" that had a specific appearence, does not mean that "your" flame maple will be/look the same..

r

VancoD

Reaction score
I'd call it a quilted flame - whatever you decide to call it, it's really gorgeous.

alwittlich

Reaction score
that is simply Flame Maple... ya gotta remember, it's wood, wood is organic, just like those first two wives... it can look quite different from your expectations.. the reality... :eek2:

just because "you" saw a Flame Maple" that had a specific appearence, does not mean that "your" flame maple will be/look the same..

r
Good point. The difference between them all is what makes them special.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Flatsawn eastern hard/rock maple. Figured or flamed, doesn't matter what name you use for it. It is what it is.

Hard maple is the maple type used on the 50s LPs we love. The soft maple species (Eastern, and western Bigleaf) are not "authentic" on a Gibson but are easier to find with really dramatic flame. Bigleaf maple is what nearly all quilted maple is.

PRS uses Eastern soft maple and Western Bigleaf maple on nearly all their tops. If you want to know what those maple types look when figured, look at a PRS and you'll know. But a real Les Paul flame top is eastern rock maple most of the time. (I say most because there may be some exceptions.)

Quilted bigleaf maple can resemble flamed maple or show the quilt figure or anywhere in between, depending on the angle it's cut at.

lessdrop

Reaction score
I should be receiving this R8 in a few days. It's a 2001, possibly a Custom Authentic since there are Grovers included in the case, it presently has some Klusons on it. Anyhow, I'm in love with the butterscotch finish and the flame top, wondering if anyone knows if there is a term for this kind of flame as it doesn't really seem to fit into the standard categories. I wouldn't call it a quilt. It's almost like "fuzzy" or something. Nice 3d from different angles, overall unique with some grain and mineral streaks as well. Anyway, let me know what y'all think. More pics will come on NGD. Thanks! View attachment 473251 View attachment 473252 View attachment 473253 View attachment 473251 View attachment 473252 View attachment 473253
Very nice clouds! Or is it a lake at sunset?

Bobbylee

Reaction score
I have a 2001 R8A and it kills. That is some nice wood you have there, my fav flame type - not BBQ grill, but clouds. I thought they call it riff cut.

The Migty Zero

Reaction score
I should be receiving this R8 in a few days. It's a 2001, possibly a Custom Authentic since there are Grovers included in the case, it presently has some Klusons on it. Anyhow, I'm in love with the butterscotch finish and the flame top, wondering if anyone knows if there is a term for this kind of flame as it doesn't really seem to fit into the standard categories. I wouldn't call it a quilt. It's almost like "fuzzy" or something. Nice 3d from different angles, overall unique with some grain and mineral streaks as well. Anyway, let me know what y'all think. More pics will come on NGD. Thanks! View attachment 473251 View attachment 473252 View attachment 473253 View attachment 473251 View attachment 473252 View attachment 473253
Most Historic Les Paul's to the best of my knowledge are still sugar maple which is the same as Eastern hard rock mae
Within that you can get the tight pinstripes or wide wavey type stripes but it's generally known as curly maple or figured rock maple. Beautiful guitar and the top on yours has a great top!

jktxs

Reaction score
You're more likely to get a bona fide hard maple top on a plaintop studio or tribute than on a mega flame R9.
Hard maple doesn't curl as often as the other commercial maple species; most of the eastern curly maple being sold are soft maples (red, silver) and with Gibson's production volume I highly doubt the majority of the curly maple they get will be hard maple.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
REALLY, I wish you guys would STOP INVENTING and using these incorrect terms for the type of wood "feature" as shown on the OP's guitar and everyone elses!!

In the actual world of Wood Instrument makers, aka Luthiers, this is called FIDDLEBACK ... NOT "Flame" or "Quilt" or anything else. The term Fiddleback has been around for several hundred years, long before Gibson, PRS or anyone else started inventing fictitious names. And, as you might guess, it is named for that type of wood and figure as found on finely made Violins, Cellos, upright Basses, etc. and adapted to guitars for it's beauty as well as strength.

Even Google knows it's the correct term, probably time you all learn too. ....

FiddleBack wood grain - Google Search.png

alwittlich

Reaction score
REALLY, I wish you guys would STOP INVENTING and using these incorrect terms for the type of wood "feature" as shown on the OP's guitar and everyone elses!!

In the actual world of Wood Instrument makers, aka Luthiers, this is called FIDDLEBACK ... NOT "Flame" or "Quilt" or anything else. The term Fiddleback has been around for several hundred years, long before Gibson, PRS or anyone else started inventing fictitious names. And, as you might guess, it is named for that type of wood and figure as found on finely made Violins, Cellos, upright Basses, etc. and adapted to guitars for it's beauty as well as strength.

Even Google knows it's the correct term, probably time you all learn too. ....

View attachment 474357
I will agree that yes, they all fall under the umbrella of "fiddleback". However, if a more descriptive term is used to denote a particularly distinctive feature within the category I think it's ok. I don't think anyone is expecting that any of this be made official or taken too seriously (I know I'm not). It's just fun to see the different kinds of figuring and talk about them. Apologies if I offended with the post, and thank you for the response.

StevenXmas

Reaction score
This figured maple top is Eastern Maple. I worked at the Gibson Custom Shop for over 20 years and at one point was in charge of wood selection for all models. It is quarter sawn Eastern Maple. It has a fe dark "flecks" in the top (around the control knobs etc.) which is a characteristic of Eastern Maple. When I was at Gibson all of our Eastern Maple came from a vendor in Virginia. Thanks.

alwittlich

Reaction score
This figured maple top is Eastern Maple. I worked at the Gibson Custom Shop for over 20 years and at one point was in charge of wood selection for all models. It is quarter sawn Eastern Maple. It has a fe dark "flecks" in the top (around the control knobs etc.) which is a characteristic of Eastern Maple. When I was at Gibson all of our Eastern Maple came from a vendor in Virginia. Thanks.
Thank you for the info! Kind of cool to know where the wood is from.

alwittlich

Reaction score
So, I'm considering seeing if I can get this thing to gloss up. I wrote Gibson and they confirmed that it is a Custom Authentic. Wondering how much of a Dif it would make as far as the transparency of the finish goes. I generally prefer a glossier finish, love this one as is, but am curious if it could be made more glassy through some serious polishing/rubbing compound?. Any thoughts on this? I'm mentally preparing for the angry responses presently. :wow:

Latest Threads