Any high-quality UK guitar kit makers post-Brexit?

murmel

Reaction score
Tbh
The best thing right now is to let things settle down
If you are buying from the eu just contact the retailer direct and see how they are managing the sales
One upside might be the eu retailers will now need to be more competitive with UK retailers so we consumers may benefit
I guess most of he smaller EU retailers will just avoid trading with U.K customers, as it adds a lot of paperwork and probably ever changing regulation. Only the big ones like Thomann will probably stay in this business as they have the economy of scale. I guess as a rule of thumb, those retailers who already do business outside the EU will continue to trade with the U.K and the others will stop it, as it most likely doesn’t justify the additional cost for them.

Zylo

Reaction score
Tbh

They will find ways to get round it ,businesses always do

Personally I have used Thomann a few times, but only because they had the items in stick when I wanted them. I've not used any other eu retailers luckily in the UK there is quite a good choice of retailers that I can alternatively use

murmel

Reaction score
Tbh

They will find ways to get round it ,businesses always do

Personally I have used Thomann a few times, but only because they had the items in stick when I wanted them. I've not used any other eu retailers luckily in the UK there is quite a good choice of retailers that I can alternatively use
Using U.K. based retailers will also be much faster.

dubster82

Reaction score
If you see a guitar on Thomann, it's priced without sales tax (it'll look 20% cheaper than on UK sites). You buy from them, they send it. The courier will then ask you to pay VAT you'd of usually paid to Thomann before Brexit on the total price including the shipping cost. The courier may charge a small fee for facilitating this transaction, but there should be no additional duties to pay, unlike buying from outside the EU, eg USA.

MetroFox3000

Reaction score
Hi. I’ve been looking at Thomann, contemplating the additional Import Duties I’ll pay now on a Les Paul Standard post-Brexit, i was thinking about making a Les Paul kit to my desired Burst specs. Does anyone in the UK (EU and North America are now too prohibitively expensive with extra costs on top) make and sell good quality guitar kits? It occurs to me, if not, then UK builders could perhaps jump on this opportunity, and start making enviable instrument kits. I’d pull the trigger on a Stew Mac kit if they didn’t have those ugly litigation-dodging cutaway horn . If anyone on the forum knows of UK kits, or even custom builders who take orders, I’d love to know. Thanks!
Hello
I bought this quite nice Les Paul kit from a seller on eBay in the end:

Nice one piece back and solid figured maple top. I’m going try a faded burst top with Crimson Guitars Stunning Stains (water born) with a Nitro clear coat

jeremyross1993

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. I did come across this Les Paul kit (in the States) and have ordered one, taking into account what I *think* will be the VAT and Import Duties once it reaches the UK! It's a solid flame maple top from what I can see, with tidy routes, and looks to have the Gibson style truss rod route and nut?

Hi Mate,

I to am after a high quality Les Paul kit, not those cheap far east kits.

When do you expect this kit to arrive? I'm UK based and wanted to order one of the precision guitar kits from Canada. But you have the courier fees and import tax on top and so I wanted to know if you have had that when ordering your kit from the USA.

Latest Threads