Any Experts out there know what models/ years had a Rounded C neck ?

MBJams

Reaction score
Any Experts out there know what models/ years had a Rounded C neck ? I've recently discovered no matter how nice the Les Paul the slim taper , asymmetrical slim, etc. necks are too different from what I'm used to.. Thanks !!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your first post in 10 years?

My first thought would be an R8 or R9...those are rather consistent for the past 27 plus years.... everything else is in constant change over the years.

afireinside

Reaction score
Is that the 2017 Traditional necks? Halfway between a 60s and 50s neck? Not slim but not chunky.

The new heritage h150 i grabbed is just like it. And my old 2017 Gibson Traditional

Screenshot_20200306-114153_Gallery.jpg

20210118_135257.jpg

LocoTex

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker that has a rounded, substantially thick neck.

MBJams

Reaction score
Cool ok thanks for all the input, So I've had a Les Paul Studio for 20 years that plays like butta, then got a ES Les Paul semi-hollow, and over the years have traded every guitar that doesn't play like these 2.. Recently got a Standard w slim neck and am gonna sell it - then I found a sweet LP Classic with dark fingerboard and 60's neck , and it feels close to my studios, so I wasn't sure if there are inconsistencies, or if I need to be looking for a Rounded C - which is thinner than 50's but thicker than Slim taper.. But the Classic is a keeper .. thanks again for the replies

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - I have two 2016 Les Paul Traditional T guitars. They have what I believe is described as the " '59 Roundback " profile (.828 @ 1st fret and .973 @ 12th fret), in between the fatter '50s neck and the 60s Slim Taper. A very comfortable proflle...not too fat and not thin. I can play them for hours without hand fatigue. Both guitars have a consistent/uniform neck profile. Here's the link to Gibson's website for this guitar: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

They'll have to pry these guitars from my cold, dead hands...LOL!!! Good luck in your search...

MBJams

Reaction score
OP - I have two 2016 Les Paul Traditional T guitars. They have what I believe is described as the " '59 Roundback " profile (.828 @ 1st fret and .973 @ 12th fret), in between the fatter '50s neck and the 60s Slim Taper. A very comfortable proflle...not too fat and not thin. I can play them for hours without hand fatigue. Both guitars have a consistent/uniform neck profile. Here's the link to Gibson's website for this guitar: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional.aspx

They'll have to pry these guitars from my cold, dead hands...LOL!!! Good luck in your search...
haha awesome ! Thanks for the info ! Ill keep an eye out for a 2016/ 2017 Traditional

heavypic

Reaction score
OP - A bit of eye-candy for your inspiration... My sweet 16's - 2016 Trad T Honeyburst and Lightburst.

The '16s have the PCB/pots in the control cavity. If I recall correctly, the 2017 returned to the traditional pot/cap set-up. I've had no problem with the PCB controls or the stock Classic '57/''57 Plus pups. If I ever mod it, I'll switch over to the traditional pot/cap set-up as it is more "traditional" :cool:.

Attachments

filtersweep

Reaction score
I have a Custom Lite and a 2011 SG that are both spec'ed with rounded C necks-- and they are quite different. The SG is closer to my R8. The Custom Lite more like a soft V Fender.

MBJams

Reaction score
Your first post in 10 years?

My first thought would be an R8 or R9...those are rather consistent for the past 27 plus years.... everything else is in constant change over the years.
Hey man , Thats it ! I think i need to save my pennies for an R8 ,a lot of the ones online say C neck , or Medium 50’s “C” ( because most of the 50’s are alittle too thick for me ) Thanks for the input !

Gitter

Reaction score
According to the Gibson website, the 2018 & 2019 Traditionals had "rounded" neck profiles and the Standards had slim taper.

JMP

Reaction score
OP - A bit of eye-candy for your inspiration... My sweet 16's - 2016 Trad T Honeyburst and Lightburst.

The '16s have the PCB/pots in the control cavity. If I recall correctly, the 2017 returned to the traditional pot/cap set-up. I've had no problem with the PCB controls or the stock Classic '57/''57 Plus pups. If I ever mod it, I'll switch over to the traditional pot/cap set-up as it is more "traditional" :cool:.
There are no PCBs in the 2016 Traditional T....just regular potentiometers and capacitors. Which has nothing to do with the neck profile the OP is asking about.

Injector

Reaction score
Hey man , Thats it ! I think i need to save my pennies for an R8 ,a lot of the ones online say C neck , or Medium 50’s “C” ( because most of the 50’s are alittle too thick for me ) Thanks for the input !
R7s and R8s are the thickest necks of all so avoid those if a 50s neck is too fat for you.

Latest Threads