Any experience Gretsch players out there?

Pancreas

Reaction score
Hi group
I just purchased a new (blemished) Gretsch Electromatic G5622 online from AMS. I've attached a photo for reference. I'm normally a Gibson player, currently strumming a 2019 LP Traditional and a 2017 SG Special.
I've been looking for a semi-hollow to help round out my small collection and I've read great reviews on the Electromatic series guitars.
Anyone out there have experience with this line?
Thanks!

Attachments

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, I would post this in the Other Guitars part of the MLP Site. Go to Forums and choose Other Guitars under Music Gear.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a gretsch…
to be honest, I quite like it for what it is

this exact youtube Video made me buy it a few months ago

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Electromatic and it's a great guitar that I feel punches above it's price point. It makes me curious to try one of the Japanese made Gretsches, but it's such a good guitar I also tell myself, why spend more?

mjross

Reaction score
I have a Japanese made Gretsch 6228 in Cadillac Green! Beautiful guitar and the fit and finish are perfect. Kinda reminds me of a Les Paul at times but has it own thing going. Very nice guitars that fly way below the radar!

Roman4405

Reaction score
I had a 5420 a while back. It looked great, felt great and sounded great when playing loud. My problem was that when playing at low volumes all I could here was the acoustics of that big hollow body. Not the guitars fault, just how it was.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
I had a 5420 a while back. It looked great, felt great and sounded great when playing loud. My problem was that when playing at low volumes all I could here was the acoustics of that big hollow body. Not the guitars fault, just how it was.
I just bought a G5420T and that sound you describe it one of the things that make it unique for me. I wasn't sure if it was the hollow body or the giant gauged strings (comes with 11 - 49, I normally play 7 - 38). I'm looking to get a semi hollow, shallower bodied G3141. I wonder if it'll be that much different than my 335

For the OP, I love the Electromatic series as I couldn't justify what they want for the Professional, as it doesn't sound/look that much different to my ears/eyes. I realize that is sacrilege to some people, and I'd be one of them if we were talking Epiphone/Gibson. The difference isn't there for me with Fender or Gretsch.

Roman4405

Reaction score
7’s? I couldn’t play anything and not be sharp. That’s impressive.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This does not surprise me in the least.....sparkly finishes with lots of bling and a Bigsby. Its everything you like but without having to mod a stock guitar.
i couldn’t afford the super bling Chet country gentlemen version but I’ve got parts in the mail…
im most excited to put a gold banjo arm guard…never installed one…

and what Chet does at 1:14 is full-on nasty..
i have no effing clue how to do that…
jerry even gets a bit star struck and laughs at the ridiculousness of such a badass technical series of moves

-chris

NotScott

Reaction score
I currently have two Gretsch guitars and a Tele loaded with Filtertrons that has become one of my main stage guitars. Gretsch just has a very unique sound and very cool vibe that cannot be duplicated.

The Electromatic series are fine guitars for the money. I upgraded the harness, bridge and pickups in mine and it is a special guitar now.

The Professional series are equal to or better than anything coming out of Gibson and Fender.

I am a big Gretsch fan!

Axis39

Reaction score
I have an '05 5127 and an '08 6129TLS.

My 5127 is a predecessor to the guitar you've asked about. It is one of my favorite guitars fo all time, actually. But, it's a full hollow, with single coils, so a bit different than the one you've asked about. Build, fit and finish were decent for an import. I have had to fiddle with the pickup selector switch (A typical weak spot in import guitars back in the day). The tension bar Bigsby works fine, but isn't as smoother as the USA made on my ProLine 6129.

The 5127 has seen more stage time in the last ten years than any other guitar I've owned. The 6129 is one of the finest instruments I've ever owned. They both have their sonic thing, that is way different than Gretsch.

Quality wise, i would have no worry about recommending a Gretsch to anyone!

Latest Threads