Any Epiphone G-400 makeovers done?

Reaction score
I picked up an Epi G-400 limited edition with EMG’s in alpine White awhile back. It needed some work so it’s waiting in line but the closer it gets to the workbench, the less I’m liking the EMG’s and the white. Since it’s a mahogany body and neck, I’m thinking removes the finish and Truoil it, ditch the EMG’s and add some PAF style pickups. Also one of the things I’ve never liked with these guitars is the jack location so for me, I’m going to relocate that too.

Anyway, anybody have any input or any where I can be referred to for the motivation to pull this off??
B374F185-4DFF-4039-A5FB-7A7636DB2497.jpeg

Reaction score
Well part of the reason I got it was the repair needed in the neck joint area. I figured if I couldn’t fix it, the pickups and tuners were worth what I paid for it. So... it’s going to have to be repaired and the finish repaired as well. So rather than paint, blend and repaint, why not just avoid that final step?
9582F350-C485-44A4-90B8-00462A70AB7A.jpeg
DAEC66C9-FD25-4906-ACEE-3BDA65487E4A.jpeg

TheKat

Reaction score
Motivation? I? supply? sorry, not in this case.
:hmm:
As you may already know, removing the PU covering of an Epiphone is quite a task. Some might even describe it as a major pain in the ass. :naughty:
If you find mahogany veneer under the paint (which is sure for newer epis), saving it while removing the paint may be difficult to impossible. Well, actually it may be not quite as difficult as on a Les Paul, because both surfaces are straight.
And this guitar surely needs structural repair at the heel.

So removing the paint is a non-option IMHO if you don't view it as a labor of love.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Motivation? I? supply? sorry, not in this case.
:hmm:
As you may already know, removing the PU covering of an Epiphone is quite a task. Some might even describe it as a major pain in the ass. :naughty:
If you find mahogany veneer under the paint (which is sure for newer epis), saving it while removing the paint may be difficult to impossible. Well, actually it may be not quite as difficult as on a Les Paul, because both surfaces are straight.
And this guitar surely needs structural repair at the heel.

So removing the paint is a non-option IMHO if you don't view it as a labor of love.
Nah, this is just gonna be a reward to myself. A labor of love is bringing back a damaged Archtop from the wood pile to playable and enjoyable again

Latest Threads