Any Doctors, Nurses, or Lawyers?

duck2k

Reaction score
I will get to the point:

My dear friend's sister-in-law just recently got hospice. Weeks ago, she was taken in from CA out of an abusive relationship. She was diagnosed with a tumor, which the surgery was successful. She was moved to a recovery home (I guess that is what they are called). It was going to be slow therapy from there (supposedly).

At the beginning of this week, I found out the sister-in-law has not gone to the bathroom for two weeks. My friend has repeatedly pleaded with this facility to administer enemas. Her colon exploded. After two surgeries (cleaning the area, etc), the doctors concluded there was no more they can do. They told my friend to call in hospice. She is dying.

Question: Can my friend and his wife sue the facility for gross negligence? He is right now getting all the documentation, records, and talking to senior medical officials. Problem is, this is through Access (spelling?) medical care.
Can this center be shut down for this?

I am angry as hell!:mad2:

Tiboy

Reaction score
Most States or sub-divisions (county) have a prosecutorial arm for institutional abuse/neglect. Find yours and contact them.

bosnialove

Reaction score
I would've helped you if it were Dutch laws. However, Arizona is a long way from the Netherlands.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Sad story....
Medical malpractice lawyer consultation needed to determine liability

Nick-O

Reaction score
Don't waste any time on this, get a qualified attorney immediately. Well done on the documentation, and don't bother with verbal threats with those "guilty", just get legal help right away.

roeg

Reaction score
She had the tumor resected,but then developed a post-operative bowel obstruction,for which surgery was required to treat(maybe another tumor? or metastatic cancer in the bowel?).

Now systemic post operative infection,from the bowel surgery to relieve the obstruction,which can be deadly.Its hard to believe no-one would call in consultation for a progressive bowel obstruction,as clinically,given her history,its an obvious risk.No action for 2 weeks? Sounds just wrong,but i don't know the timeline on treatment in her situation.One would think after day 5 or 6,off to the emergency ward for proper emergent evaluation,imho,given her previous history.I'm not a dr.,all just in my humble opinion,my mother went through this.

Kashmir

Reaction score
In my opinion it definitely is negligence on the home's part. An attorney should be consulted, and he probably will win the case. I don't know what he'll receive though. Unlike a hospital, many of these places aren't rich organizations. However, they should possess liability insurance.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Tell your friend to get a lawyer. What happen shouldn't have happen to begin with.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Things don't sound very good. I can't really say any thing of value with out reading her file. You should contact a local group that works with these matters ASAP! Don't waste time and have their people check on her first hand. Find out the truth of these going on.

TheHarleyMan2

Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but it certainly sounds like negligence! Most if not all these nursing homes and such are nothing but money hungry ba$tard$ and could care less about treatment or proper care. Few nurses at these facilities care about people, the majority of them could give 2 craps about doing anything!

I have seen how most if not all employees treat the elderly and dying in nursing homes. I saw too much of it where my mother was and I was very vocal about it.

You need to get an attorney and he will also find out if the facility had any other medical malpractices going on in recent years.

Rowdymoon

Reaction score
You need to call a attorney. Seriously.

Plus one........my wife is a Nurse and I have heard her say time and time again if any of her patients went more than 3 to 4 days without a bowel movement they would be all over that........2 weeks is just out of the question!!..............Can the centre be shut down?...I dunno but maybe it should be!!:mad2:

kevinpaul

Reaction score
X–Ray;7487688 said:
Sad story....

Sorry to say but you will find an attorney just behind ambulance in the phone book. Pick the one with the biggest add. I have turned some of these places in myself. I don't set very well with my community, there are more and more of us speaking out. I even wonder if her regular doctor knows what is going on?

kevinpaul

Reaction score
X–Ray;7487688 said:
Sad story....

Sorry to say but you will find an attorney just behind ambulance in the phone book. Pick the one with the biggest add. I have turned some of these places in myself. I don't set very well with my community, there are more and more of us speaking out. I even wonder if her regular doctor knows what is going on?,

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morphine and most opiates used for pain killers can shut down the peristaltic movement of the GI tract.

Getting her off opiates and the bowels moving again is standard protocol. Doing nothing until the colon perfs is grounds for a case I would think, but that varies from state to state. I am clueless what taken in by CA and the other sketchy details mean.

Get on it right away wherever you are before she gets buried. Maybe get her to a REAL HOSPITAL ASAP! If she has no means to pay, ask for Medicaid. They pay for millions of illegals every year! Don't let her get shuffled off to die!

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
As a nurse, it kinda depends on the attending physicians orders more than anything else. Assuming the patients bowels movements are being recorded, its up to the doc to read the chart and order things like enemas etc. Without the order from an MD the home is powerless to do anything. It would be practicing above my certification to do a procedure in the absence of a physicians' order to do so. If the doc is a employee of the nursing home, they will be liable for malpractice. If he's not, its a good chance it will all be on him/her. Nursing facilities can only perform procedures that doctors order.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
They use that to help the near dead die. My sister and my secretary. Both were over dosed but in their cases it really was the best thing. The other way would be a long bad death. So very true. They shot horses don't they? Same mercy for us.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Sorry to say but you will find an attorney just behind ambulance in the phone book. Pick the one with the biggest add. I have turned some of these places in myself. I don't set very well with my community, there are more and more of us speaking out. I even wonder if her regular doctor knows what is going on?,
I trust your opinion/experience is more informed than mine :thumb:

kevinpaul

Reaction score
As a nurse, it kinda depends on the attending physicians orders more than anything else. Assuming the patients bowels movements are being recorded, its up to the doc to read the chart and order things like enemas etc. Without the order from an MD the home is powerless to do anything. It would be practicing above my certification to do a procedure in the absence of a physicians' order to do so. If the doc is a employee of the nursing home, they will be liable for malpractice. If he's not, its a good chance it will all be on him/her. Nursing facilities can only perform procedures that doctors order.

X–Ray;7488231 said:
I trust your opinion/experience is more informed than mine :thumb:

Both were hopeless, no more chemo. Then late at night they both got a " shot of chemo " , chemo is not A shot. They both died shortly there after. I was not present but I do have a clue about what was in that injection. Just a clue.

Latest Threads