Any certified pilots here?

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Looking for information from licensed pilots on the process necessary to get licensed, and training/protocol involved in that process.

Personal background: I've been mildly interested in pursuing this over the years, but never put that into action. Ever since taking a flight on a private jet about 4 years ago, my intrigue has increased. Just turned 54 recently, and maybe it's just a mid-life thing or not, but possibly even considering a career change and what the potential is out there.

What can you tell me?

Hamtone

Reaction score
Get your ground school time and pass your test. Then get your physical done, then when it comes time to get your VFR time in the seat FLY EVERYDAY. All in all it will cost approx 5500-7000 depending on area.

I do not have my license but most everyone in my family are pilots and grew up around it. I will get mine done at some point.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Looking for information from licensed pilots on the process necessary to get licensed, and training/protocol involved in that process.

Personal background: I've been mildly interested in pursuing this over the years, but never put that into action. Ever since taking a flight on a private jet about 4 years ago, my intrigue has increased. Just turned 54 recently, and maybe it's just a mid-life thing or not, but possibly even considering a career change and what the potential is out there.

What can you tell me?
I used to be a commercial pilot and certified flight instructor... but I let the CFI lapse and haven't even maintained my biannual flight reviews, instrument currency, or the physicals since the 90's. It was hard to make a living as a flight instructor in Daytona Beach because there's an entire university (Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University) producing pilots right at Daytona Beach International.

Actually, that's how I ended up being a cop instead! :laugh2:

Anyway:

Review Federal Aviation Regulations Part 61... this series of FAR's explains the requirements for all levels of aircraft pilot certification.

You can start right here:

Federal Aviation Regulations and Requirements for Licensing

Best luck. I found everything but flight instructor certification to be a very logical piece of cake.

--R

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had VFR back in 76-80. Stopped when we moved to CA. Got into sailing, which is an equally expensive and time sucking habit. My med cert expired decades ago.

Go for it. It's actually easier than driving a car. Landing is hardest part. But, according to the FAA, any landing in which you can walk away is considered a success, so... the bar is a bit low :laugh2:

Seriously, if you are not a moron, you should be able to get up to at least IFR.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have my private ticket (not current).

The biggest thing you'll need to get your license is a lot of money. These set-price packages are not entirely accurate: you pay for a set amount of hours and if you exceed that then you're paying additional for your plane rental and instruction fees

It's not difficult to get your license, hell if I could do it anyone can, but it's expensive, and ... I don't know, back in the early 1990s here in Michigan I could rent a Piper Archer for $60/hr. wet. What's it cost to rent the same plane today?

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I had VFR back in 76-80. Stopped when we moved to CA. Got into sailing, which is an equally expensive and time sucking habit. My med cert expired decades ago.

Go for it. It's actually easier than driving a car. Landing is hardest part. But, according to the FAA, any landing in which you can walk away is considered a success, so... the bar is a bit low :laugh2:

Seriously, if you are not a moron, you should be able to get up to at least IFR.
Too bad that you gave it up. I would imagine that flying around SoCal would be much more scenic than most places.

That, and you won't step in shit on the sidewalks. :hmm:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Too bad that you gave it up. I would imagine that flying around SoCal would be much more scenic than most places.

That, and you won't step in shit on the sidewalks. :hmm:

Waaaaay too much restricted airspace in SoCal. Plus, at that time fuel was getting out of hand. A 140, wet (incl fuel) was about $150/hour.

irocdave12

Reaction score
Certification is really just a technicality. If you really want to fly its not that hard or expensive. If Lawnchair Larry can do it so can anybody
D4043225-4DDE-4334-BDD5-55DAADDC8C05.png

Last edited:

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
As a person who has been an aviation geek and have been studying flying since first playing Flight Sim 95 when I was 7 years old... do everything you can to follow this dream. Seriously. Not a reality for myself, commercially at least as it's too expensive and my eyesight is outwith legal limits (glasses/contacts don't matter). However I could one day have a private license... need that darned money though.

I'm not sure if the USA has similar licensing. Here in the UK at Private level we have LAPL (light aircraft pilots license) and PPL (private pilots license) licenses. LAPL is the more 'accessible' type of license. Less stringent examination, lower cost... however there are some caveats, such as VFR flight only, a max of 3 passengers, single engine only, 2,000kg max TOW, and so on.

The PPL is the next step up, more expensive and harder exams, though includes the possibility of an IFR rating, multi-engine aircraft, up to 19 passengers, more critical medical exams, etc. The PPL license being the obvious first stepping stone towards commercial licensing.

I fly occasional training sessions on DA20 Katana aircraft (though it's been a wee while since the last time) and have flown in full motion simulators (737 and A320). The closest I can personally get at the moment. As previously mentioned, get studying. Learn all you can on the ground (there is a LOT to learn as expected.). I sincerely hope it becomes a reality for you, because flight is one hell of a thing :)

Last edited: