Any budget alternative to the Rewind PAF-1?

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
I really love the tone of the videos of the rewind PAF-1. However I don’t want to put $400 pickups in a used Epi LPC.
Are there any cheaper pickups that sound similar? BTW what’s up with the lower resistance in the bridge? What positive effect does that have?

Roxy13

Reaction score
There are some lower priced winders out there. I would think no two winder's pickups will sound exactly the same though. But, you might look at Vineham Pickups. He is in Canada as well so the exchange rate is very favorable to those of us in the US.

I also just bought a set of pickups from Chris Carter (Sin Pickups) on Offer Up for $50! I haven't had a chance to try them yet though.

And it never hurts to watch the classies here for used pickups. I've bought two used sets of ReWinds here.

RocketKing

Reaction score
I don't have any names for alternatives although there's plenty good quality paf style humbuckers out there.
As an owner of the real deal I can say that they are great sounding pick ups.
There's nothing really strange with the neck being hotter than the bridge.
A lot of the originals were like that, and the paf 1 set being a total reproduction of a real 59 paf set replicates that as well.
Matching sets, with hotter bridges, are a relatively modern concept.
The neck pick up in this set has a great big, but well defined, voice.
Hell, I'd love to get another Les Paul just to put his jp post 72 set in. Which also features a hotter neck pu.
It's really a non issue if everything is well made and set IMO

RocketKing

Reaction score
What's your budget?
You don't have to spend 400 bucks to get nice, well sounding pick ups.
And I also agree it's a total overkill in a budget guitar.
However I personally would be hesitant to buy 30 or 40 dollar pick up sets.
I don't want to sound like a snob because I'm not but I would question how much of a real upgrade they are compared to the stock ones.

Roxy13

Reaction score
As far as the guitar they are going into, keep your stock pickups. Then if you sell the guitar later, keep your ReWinds (or whichever you buy) and put the stock pickups back into it. Then you can continue to use your upgraded ones in whatever future guitars you buy.

OX4s are $295
Mojotone '59 clones are $209
VIP Lovers are $220

So there are boutique pickups out there in between say the Vinehams and the ReWinds as well.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't pay too much attention to DCR. It doesn't really say much about the voice of a pickup. I wrote a nice post about that here on the forum, which later turned into a chapter of my book. Here's the original thread https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-misleading-nature-of-dc-resistance-in-regard-to-pickup-coils.369099/

Considering I use three different custom spec wires on those four coils, and the magnets are not a typical A4 process magnet, you're not likely to get anything remotely the same sounding by just finding A4 humbuckers with the same DCR.

You can occasionally find used pickups of mine on Reverb. Though, I've noticed it's usually the custom built pickups, made to some customer's requested oddball specs, that end up for sale used. The stock models rarely show up on the used market. I wonder if there's some logic to that?

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the advice.
imm looking around at the used market......

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Why not just save up til you got the money to spend the 400? Or just wait til spmebody puts them up for sale if they do at all

fry

Reaction score
There are used pickups available for great prices all the time, you just gotta be patient and keep your eyes peeled. Unless you are opposed to Duncan and DiMarzio, you should be able to grab a set of those for under $100 all day every day. More than good enough for an Epiphone. The Sin Pickups mentioned above are also quite good for the money.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
I really love the tone of the videos of the rewind PAF-1. However I don’t want to put $400 pickups in a used Epi LPC.
Are there any cheaper pickups that sound similar? BTW what’s up with the lower resistance in the bridge? What positive effect does that have?
Listed right now.

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I am really looking at 200 or less for the pair. I think I have found a Duncan PG set for $100....

kakerlak

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I am really looking at 200 or less for the pair. I think I have found a Duncan PG set for $100....
I've always been kind of curious about the Parsons Street humbuckers Stew Mac sells. At least, spec-wise, they have the choice of Alnico 2 or 5, DC resistance in about the right range, uneven winds b/w the two coils, are unpotted, etc. They say all the right things, I just don't have any first-hand experience, but it'd be tempting with a lower end guitar.

I also don't have any first-hand experience with Re-winds, but I've talked to James quite a bit over the years and can't compliment the guy enough on being friendly and knowledgeable and, if you have the money and are confident you'll upgrage the Epiphone to another HB guitar if you ever move on, @Roxy13 's advice to hang onto the pickups and move them to the next guitar is sensible.

I've also been friends with @WolfeMacleod over at Wolfetone for 20+ years and he's a wonderful person making good stuff, too. I put a pair of Marshallhead MKIIs in my wife's SG and they sound fantastic!
I'm playing those here in a comparison video I did against an old PRS:

A used set of SD Seth Lovers might be a reasonable option, too, budget-wise.

Mpcoluv

Reaction score
Thanks to a member here, I might get a set of Rewind Pre 72s .now....

Last edited:

Latest Threads