Any Amp Builds Going On?

Pappy58

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start a 5E3 build. Going to put a couple of mods on it from Rob R, the NFB switch, and the cascading gain on one input jack. Probably get started on monday.

I also have here a 1931 Philco pedestal radio, 100w with a 12" field coil speaker. It has a shitload on pentodes in it and massive filter caps. It belongs to friend who really would like it t work. Hoping to add a switching input jack to it was well and maybe use it for a living room amp. Pray for me! :run:

Attachments

rykus

Reaction score
I have a cabinet builder making me a white cab like the Jimi Hendrix tall bottom ones ... going to load in Celestion Alnico creams and wgs Blackhawk hp...

Talked to Randy at Phaez about getting a HRM 50w with el34’s for it... might go 5881’s or be able to switch between...

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I'm going try to fit a Lar-Mar PPIMV to my JTM clone as soon as I get the parts - not a build as such...

Did build this cab (top one) to convert a Silver Jubilee Combo into a head for a friend. He wanted it as small and light as possible, hence the dimensions ;)

Jube_Fr.jpg

Jube_Bk.jpg

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Now that's very cool, Pappy!

5E3 builds can be a lot of fun as there's so much potential in that circuit. But I've found it doesn't take much to move the voicing away from a "classic tweed" tone and more into early Marshall.

The Philco radio will be a blast! I did a complete rebuild on a Philco 610 Streamline. If remember correctly it was a 1937.
Original_Cab_Front.jpg
Original_Cab_Back.jpg
Final_Cab_Front_3.jpg
Final_Cab_Back.jpg

Last edited:

Geeze

Reaction score
Great topic! I love seeing one off creations!

Seeing those radio conversions makes me think of an idea I had for 'living' room gear. I'm gonna date myself a bit - I remember my mom's old Singer sewing machine that would rise up out of its wood cabinet. I thought of an amp that would flip up so it was 'sitting' on top and a pair of doors [or roll top desk slatting] would reveal the speaker all done in figured wood.

I recently refinished the first pretty wood cab I built 6 years ago in curly cherry with walnut trim. I oiled it and I didn't like it for two reasons - the oil finish dimmed the wood grain and the cab sounded like crap. It was originally going to be a 4x8" 1960 A style cab but I reverted to 12" speakers so I had a kluged up grill / baffle setup that caused phase issues.

So I reshaped it and filled the rather large gap with expanding foam.

Sanded, stripped, sanded, scrubbed off 20+ coats of oil so I could spray polyurethane on it, put new grill cloth on and stuffed an EVM12L in. Sounds mucho better.

Couldn't have unmatched gear so I had to build a matching head with cherry that's sorta figured like the original. Routed in the logo with a 1/32 bit, dyed with RIT fabric dye filled with epoxy.

Paired up. The new cherry has a bunch of UV aging to do to catch up to the speaker cherry.

Russ

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice job, Russ. Pretty wood.

Have you ever seen an old Oliver amp? Large speaker cab that had the amp head lift out of the top (motor drive) when you pushed a button. Interesting, but not practical.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a bad mama jama built by my bass player. There’s a thread on it. It sounds really good and it’s his own design. Looks like the mule is back to turning things sideways
7F6F69B1-8F1D-46CE-AC9C-3A0D2BE82704.jpeg

Last edited:

Pappy58

Reaction score
@Geeze Thats Gorgeous. I wish I was good with the wood work. The electrons I can handle but I ain't much of an artist, and that is art! Very Nice! :drool:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I have a combo cabinet I did last year in Canada. Plan to do a 5E3 but currently living in Australia. Wondered about a low powered version but not sure it would have the same magic

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jjust to keep things going, here's a cabinet restoration I did on my Bassman. When I bought it, it was completely trashed, but also unmolested inside. Well, almost unmolested. The previous owner had added a master volume on the back panel. It used phase cancellation on the phase inverter. Fortunately that design doesn't require any circuit changes. I removed it. I replaced the cabinet hardware as all of it was rusted.
Eyelet_Board.jpg
Cab_Front_1.jpg
Cab_Front_2.jpg
Final_Front_4.jpg
Final_Back_Panel.jpg

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I also did a re-cap (filter caps only) on the Bassman. Pappy, you may find this interesting. I wanted to keep the amp looking original. I carefully removed the guts of the original Mallory caps and re-stuffed them with new caps. Doing so keeps the amp look factory original.

Cap_1.jpg
Cap_3.jpg
Cap_4.jpg
Cap_7.jpg

Last edited:

Pappy58

Reaction score

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Seems pretty quiet here in the Squawk Box. We need some interesting topics!

Anyone building any amps, cabinets, or restoring something old?
Don,
That's some great work on that Bassman!

Does amp schematic planning qualify here? :hmm: I hope so! Of course, one key to my ultimate success would be a sharing of some of your effects loop expertise, but oh well, I guess I'll be stuck "fudging" that on my own!

So here's a general layout I'm considering and please ignore the power supply/dropping string/voltage specifics, as that all needs to still get worked out:

Twin-5F8-Schematic copyjpeg.jpg

It's a marriage of a 5F8 (not "A") Twin preamp and a 5E3 Deluxe power section, utilizing a 5F4 presence/phase inverter! My goal is to be able to get most or all of the standard 5E3 character and response, while at the same time having the tonal picture more fully developed by the time it gets to the effects loop, which would likely go just after the treble pot. There may end up being a Master just past the loop for convenient gain stage manipulation.

It will use a multiple tap output transformer and likely a ClassicTone 40-18085 on the 630V tap for the PT:

Another piece of my intention is to achieve that glorious window of the tonal, dynamics and response spectrum that is magically shared by a great 5E3 and some of the earlier four hole Marshalls!

Thoughts and comments would be so appreciated, especially from anyone who may have travelled down a similar path!

Thanks Folks,
Gene

eslover

Reaction score
Nice beginning ya got goin' there! :cool: Is that chassis from Modulus?
Thanks Gene, yep Modulus chassis and tagboards. I wish there was a source here in the U.S. but alas. Mike's stuff is very nice though, so no disappointment.