Antiquity 2x neck pickups

FloridaSam

Reaction score
My GC had a mispriced set of Antiquities I picked up for $89.00 ea. The catch is they're both neck pickups.
I've owned real PAFs, T-Tops, Pat sticker et Al in the past. There were no "neck/bridge" differences with these so I took a chance. I wanted a undereound, airy, honky tone for a bright Les Paul.
I put the 7.72 in the bridge, the 7 5 in the heck, lowered the neck, raised the bridge a tiny bit and raised the pole pieces a smidge.
I was worried about volume balance but there is no issue. The bridge pickup is so much more articulate and balanced than the 57 Classic it replaced.
I'm glad I decided to go with the 2 neck pickups. They worked out great in this guitar.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I don't remember ever seeing a goldtop Custom. Very nice!

Caretaker

Reaction score
Yes. I don't need the brittle highs on most bridge pickups.

BigJim

Reaction score
I'm putting two Antiquity bridge pickups in a build now, will be interesting to hear it after they are installed..

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
My GC had a mispriced set of Antiquities I picked up for $89.00 ea. The catch is they're both neck pickups.
I've owned real PAFs, T-Tops, Pat sticker et Al in the past. There were no "neck/bridge" differences with these so I took a chance. I wanted a undereound, airy, honky tone for a bright Les Paul.
I put the 7.72 in the bridge, the 7 5 in the heck, lowered the neck, raised the bridge a tiny bit and raised the pole pieces a smidge.
I was worried about volume balance but there is no issue. The bridge pickup is so much more articulate and balanced than the 57 Classic it replaced.
I'm glad I decided to go with the 2 neck pickups. They worked out great in this guitar.
I'd have been tempted to fit em the other way round
I have a R9 60th and a couple of Yamaha SGs that have the "weaker" pickup at the bridge. All sound good and no balance issues. All came wired that way.
One of the Yamahas, no tricks just a setup fluke, does that phasey middle position thing. Not the weak thin sound youd get flipping magnet or wiring... Think Snowy Whites Bird Of Paradise intro.

Last edited:

NotScott

Reaction score
I have a 335 fitted with two Duncan Bonamassa bridge pups. The only difference is I fitted the pup in the bridge position with a fully charged short A5. That guitar sounds killer and as @dc007 said, the middle position really chirps and spits.

RocketKing

Reaction score
You also get cooler middle position tones if the neck and bridge pickup are more equal in output or maybe even the neck a little hotter than the bridge.....IMHO
Confirmed in my experience. My neck pu is hotter and for the first time I've actually got a usable middle position

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
It may explain why so many people throw away thousands of pounds on pickups, chasing that vintage sound, and never quite get there?
As well as wider tolerances back then, they didn't make pickups for spcific positions, except Teles.
If I had the spare dough to throw away, I'd love to have a set of PAFs made for me where the builder does it by eye... Just wind a bucket full of coils by eye, pull four out and just throw em together and send em... No idea of what they read, just put em in the guitar and live with it.

RocketKing

Reaction score
It may explain why so many people throw away thousands of pounds on pickups, chasing that vintage sound, and never quite get there?
As well as wider tolerances back then, they didn't make pickups for spcific positions, except Teles.
If I had the spare dough to throw away, I'd love to have a set of PAFs made for me where the builder does it by eye... Just wind a bucket full of coils by eye, pull four out and just throw em together and send em... No idea of what they read, just put em in the guitar and live with it.
James at Rewind does just that in some of his pick ups, I think it's cool

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
James at Rewind does just that in some of his pick ups, I think it's cool
Really? That's very interesting. I bought that book he was involved in a few months back. Fascinating read.
I may look into it some time in the future. At the moment, I don't have a guitar I want to put em in... at the moment, and there'd also be the import costs to consider.
These days, everything is pretty much tailor made or predictible. We know how old bursts can vary in sound. I don't think many were sold brand new in the UK, so when Eric Clapton and Peter Green bought theirs their options were this one or nothing. Take it home and work with it. That element of risk appeals to me.

Latest Threads