Another Tonal option

NewDadOldGuitar

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker first time poster. this forum has been great help in learning so much about Les Paul style guitars. Thanks guys

I had 5 Les-pauls, after selling my Gold top LP and acquiring a Fire-bird, I now have 4 Lps (basic Math :p) One Gibson Custom shop, One Tokai Love Rock, One Greco Eg-Freaking Awesome, and a vintage V100 lemon drop, other than that i have a Baja tele, a chinese PRS knockoff ,2 acoustic guitars, and the Fire-Bird of-course ( I'm not bragging, sorry if it sounds like it)

Every time i Pickup the vintage i go back to one of the other Les-pauls because they are so much better, so i end up not playing much and not playing the vintage at all, but when i pickup the Tele or the PRS or the Fire-bird i do spend 1-2 hrs practicing not because they are on paar with my top 3, but because they sound different than the lespauls, so that keeps me intersted

The vintage has already gotten the 50s wiring update with new pots and caps, I guess what i need is to explore new tonal direction with the vintage V100. It already has the Peter Green out of phase sound and i don't us it as much.

May be New style of pickups? The PRS copy has P90s in it. What would be next?

Any opinions .. thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends really what is lacking in sound do you think from the v100? Most aftermarket pickups that would be counted as an improvement as likely more than the guitar. Maybe turn the pickup polarity back to in phase first. As an aside, that old cliche about the player/itsallinthefingers holds true, the resident guitarist in the music shop i worked in years ago could make a cheap vintage sing as well as any les paul, was quite something to observe and hear.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
All you have said is that your vintage is not played because the other are 'better' which really says nothing at all.

If you want help then you are going to have to be way more specific.

What is lacking in the vintage - specifically
What about the better ones you like - specifically
You've not even mentioned any of the pickups that are in your guitars...fullstop.

So fill in the gaps and people will have reference to be able to help.

NewDadOldGuitar

Reaction score
All you have said is that your vintage is not played because the other are 'better' which really says nothing at all.

If you want help then you are going to have to be way more specific.

What is lacking in the vintage - specifically
What about the better ones you like - specifically
You've not even mentioned any of the pickups that are in your guitars...fullstop.

So fill in the gaps and people will have reference to be able to help.
So the Vintage has Custom Shop pickups from my gibson, I like the guitar, but i like the others much better
The custom Shop and the Tokai have the Ox4 PAF, the Greco has Dr.Vintage PAF

As a guitar as such the Vintage is very close to perfect, but somehow the other three are much better. Its a feel thing, i can't explain.

So lets say I want to go another Pickup route, not PAF(humbucker) style, what are my options?

ARandall

Reaction score
Quite frankly, anything.

I mean I was hoping for something like 'the other guitars really have a great treble response but the vintage doesn't,

or,

the vintage is a bit muddier for chords and a bit thinner for leads

or similar

Then we could actually advise you.
I mean you haven't even said which specific CS Gibson pickups you own.....there are 3 possibilities.

But from our perspective all you're asking for is "I want something else, but I'm not sure what it is and I can't say whats missing'

So we literally cannot give any meaningful input.....save for listen to some clips and make a stab in the dark.

jvin248

Reaction score
...the Vintage is very close to perfect, but somehow the other three are much better. Its a feel thing, i can't explain....
It's a headstock logo thing, lol! Many get caught there, it's ok, but you can work through it! Could be a pro setup will bring it in line with the others if the difference is actually a playability issue.

As far as the pickups go ... I'd return the wiring to modern (50s-style creates weird vol/tone interactions where turning the tone drops the volume so players tend to dime the tone and never touch it). Upgrade to typical Bourns/CTS pots if you haven't already.

Get something like a Gretsch-type Filtertron (humbucker) for the bridge pickup and a Dynasonic (single coil) for the neck pickup in packages that fit standard humbucker routes. You can find them on GFS or on ebay for low cash (and I've found more ebay import pickups have lower internal capacitance than the typical high volume aftermarket pickup brands recommended on forums, more similar to hand-wound boutique pickups, which is fun when they cost under $15/pair). These will transform the character of the guitar from all the others in your fleet. Another option could be a 'goldfoil' in the neck, but I'd do that the second experiment round.

My 1970 Global MIJ here has a P90 and Dynasonic style set of pickups in humbucker shapes. It's a great 'dive bar gig' kind of guitar full of raunchy 'bad to the bone' vibes when playing.

This is a PRS Vela with a similar setup. Dynasonic-style neck pickup and a bridge humbucker that splits to single coil with a push/pull. You could do this an only replace the one pickup. But set aside the typical pickup brand recommendations and go on ebay to order import pickups. You can have a lot of fun and find great tones for low cash.

NewDadOldGuitar

Reaction score
It's a headstock logo thing, lol! Many get caught there, it's ok, but you can work through it! Could be a pro setup will bring it in line with the others if the difference is actually a playability issue.

As far as the pickups go ... I'd return the wiring to modern (50s-style creates weird vol/tone interactions where turning the tone drops the volume so players tend to dime the tone and never touch it). Upgrade to typical Bourns/CTS pots if you haven't already.

Get something like a Gretsch-type Filtertron (humbucker) for the bridge pickup and a Dynasonic (single coil) for the neck pickup in packages that fit standard humbucker routes. You can find them on GFS or on ebay for low cash (and I've found more ebay import pickups have lower internal capacitance than the typical high volume aftermarket pickup brands recommended on forums, more similar to hand-wound boutique pickups, which is fun when they cost under $15/pair). These will transform the character of the guitar from all the others in your fleet. Another option could be a 'goldfoil' in the neck, but I'd do that the second experiment round.

My 1970 Global MIJ here has a P90 and Dynasonic style set of pickups in humbucker shapes. It's a great 'dive bar gig' kind of guitar full of raunchy 'bad to the bone' vibes when playing.

This is a PRS Vela with a similar setup. Dynasonic-style neck pickup and a bridge humbucker that splits to single coil with a push/pull. You could do this an only replace the one pickup. But set aside the typical pickup brand recommendations and go on ebay to order import pickups. You can have a lot of fun and find great tones for low cash.

Your LP there looks Killer, may be I'll go for such a setting, Gold foil / Dynasonic in the Neck and a P90 in the bridge.

Or both Filtertrons...

NewDadOldGuitar

Reaction score

It certainly not the headstock thing--> the Tokai and greco gets more play than the Gibson which costs half the price

AcVox

Reaction score
Don't do anything to a guitar without having it set up by a professional guitar tech or Luthier first.
Money spent here will save you the frustration of chasing" tone ghosts".

Latest Threads