Another school shooting, Noblesville, Indiana

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
With the current trend of de-funding public schools, who’s going to pay for psychological screening? The school fairy?
You want safe schools and better care for students? Then we all need to pony up for the extra costs.... You can ask the fairy if you want to:rofl:

We need to protect and fund a better future for these kids. The billions being spent on a boarder fence I guess is money well spent?

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Actually, throwing everything you can is what you should do when confronted with an active shooter in a classroom. If 30 people are throwing things at him, it sure makes it hard for him to accomplish what he set out to do. Sitting in a corner together as a group of targets is not very smart.
Agreed. Doing anything you can is better than sitting and getting shot.
I used to work on ships that routinely went through the pirate waters off Somalia. We aren’t armed, the pirates are. So we prepared by rigging fire hoses at the lowest points of freeboard, hanging netting that would repel grappling hooks and boarding ladders, and a few other little things.
What good is all that against a bunch of junkies with AK’s??
I don’t yet know.
But at least it’s something to give us time to hole up in the strongbox and call the navy.
You do what you can.
ANYTHING you can.

I really doubt we’ll see much arming of teachers. It has a lot of pitfalls and complications.
I just think that if a guy bursts into my room with a gun, I’d rather have a gun than not have a gun.
The first classroom (and it chills me to think this way) is gonna take it the hardest, most likely, because they’ll have no warning, and it’s quite possible that the first classroom is the intended target. But if a warning alarm is raised, the other classrooms can get their doors shut and locked, and make preparations, if they can’t escape.
This isn’t something you can’t train for. Some people seem to be saying that “all firefights are chaos and you can’t train for them”, but if that’s true, then why doesn’t the army just pass out M16’s and say “Make your Uncle proud, boys....”?? They train extensively for the chaos of firefights.

@Thumpalumpacus, I agree that teachers already have way too much on their plates for this.
I already mentioned (in an earlier edit) that the teachers should receive their pay for the training. I’m not hard set on the training schedule, and I know that teachers are already incredibly busy. Maybe a two-week course during the summer, and a one-day refresher (maybe in the evening somewhere) every month?? Very specific scenarios don’t require constant drilling; they just need a basic understanding of the task: Lock down the class, prepare to defend from someone coming through the doorway.
Again, this is purely voluntary and regulated. I think the FBI needs to come up with a training protocol for local police departments/sheriffs, and the local LE training officers can instruct the teachers.
I already think the FBI/local LE should train teachers in proper response to an active shooter, whether or not we arm the teachers. I also think the school should have monthly drills or tabletop discussions of the scenario.
I don’t think it would be that big of a burden to teachers, especially if it’s paid and voluntary. I don’t know if they get OT or what, but pay them for their work. I think this should be IN ADDITION to armed security roaming the campus, but how many security guards can they hire? Teachers are already largely underpaid and schools always struggle with budgets. (Not to change the subject...) So the teachers can’t get a raise and have to buy supplies for the classroom, but suddenly we have 5-10, maybe 20-30 more people on payroll?? Seems like that could get a little insulting to the teachers, although I’m sure most would handle it professionally, especially when they know it’s for their protection. The teachers are already on salary and will already be where the protection is needed, should the time ever come. They could “hunker down” (since that the term we’re going with:)) while the cavalry gets there.
A specific alarm and some communication (PA, intercom, radio, etc...) would help reduce what could really be a massive shooting.
Just knowing where the little fucker is would be huge.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
... and behind some sort of cover, so the shooter doesn't see them FIRST.
True, but it’s not like we can put up tactical barriers of 1/2” plate in the classrooms (or can we??)(or should we???), so anything you have is better than nothing. “Cover vs Concealment” is worth looking into, if you’re not familiar. Boiled down, “cover” stops bullets, while “concealment” simply hides from view.

It really comes down to how each school and classroom is laid out, as to what could and should be done.
As Thump alluded to earlier, some schools might simply be screwed. (Not that he suggested doing nothing, simply that most schools weren’t built with active shooters in mind.)

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You want safe schools and better care for students? Then we all need to pony up for the extra costs.... You can ask the fairy if you want to:rofl:

We need to protect and fund a better future for these kids. The billions being spent on a boarder fence I guess is money well spent?
We seem to have plenty of money for nonsense, it should be diverted.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
True, but it’s not like we can put up tactical barriers of 1/2” plate in the classrooms (or can we??)(or should we???), so anything you have is better than nothing. “Cover vs Concealment” is worth looking into, if you’re not familiar. Boiled down, “cover” stops bullets, while “concealment” simply hides from view.

It really comes down to how each school and classroom is laid out, as to what could and should be done.
As Thump alluded to earlier, some schools might simply be screwed. (Not that he suggested doing nothing, simply that most schools weren’t built with active shooters in mind.)
Hiding from view. Yes. I meant concealment.

A desk or table is not armor, no matter how many cowboys use them that way in the movies - but it's harder to hit the guy you can't see.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
With the current trend of de-funding public schools, who’s going to pay for psychological screening? The school fairy?
Where is this happening? My property taxes just went up again $60/month and school enrollment is down.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Because we don't really care about schools and education... unless it's a display we make on social media. Many people are in the "I got mine. Fuck you!" camp and they have good schools. If you don't, they don't give a flying fuck. And, chances are that you and your neighbors don't really care either, truth told.

Schools shootings just makes the Stepford wives put on their yoga pants and designer running tops and take to the streets in butthurt protests. Vigils and memorials abound and the news headlines it, for a day or so. Something else quickly replaces that and we all forget.

Then, the rich all go back to their McMansions at the end of it all, tweeting and wastebook posting as they are all feeling proud and good. The poor go back to the blight they call home and feel sorry for themselves (maybe even protest about that, too). And, the working poor (AKA, what's left of the middle class), who are just trying to keep their heads above water, continue to empower the same idiots year after year after year.

Nothing ever changes. Nothing ever will. Sorry.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
You're joking, right? Since when did a tax increase filter down to fund education?
Ever heard of a school levy? Most of the funding for schools is local, then state, then federal.
I suppose I was asking you to back up your claim that school funding is being gutted.

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Ever heard of a school levy? Most of the funding for schools is local, then state, then federal.
I suppose I was asking you to back up your claim that school funding is being gutted.
You’re sleeping under a rock.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
Money hungry game designers:

Parkland parents condemn ‘Active Shooter’ game By Martin Vassolo MIAMI HERALD

A coming computer video game that would allow players to re-create school shootings by stalking school hallways and racking up kills has been condemned as insensitive and inappropriate by the parents of students who were shot to death in the school massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Fla.

The game – “Active Shooter” – is scheduled for a June 6 release via the digital video-game marketplace Steam. It is branded as a “SWAT simulator” that lets players choose between being an active shooter terrorizing a school or the SWAT team responding to the shooting.

It was developed by Revived Games and published by the company Acid, which has said it plans on selling the game for $5 to $10 on Steam and releasing an alternate “civilian” mode.A description of the game, which will not be sold on a console system, comes with a disclaimer: “Please do not take any of this seriously. This is only meant to be the simulation and nothing else. If you feel like hurting someone or people around you, please seek help from local psychiatrists or dial 911 (or applicable). Thank you.”

The game is to be released about four months after a gunman killed 17 students and staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas and less than a month after 10 more were killed in a school shooting in Texas. It also comes during a year when survivors of the Parkland shooting revived a debate on gun control that culminated with a global March for Our Lives demonstration.

Adding to critics’ claims that the game is seeking to monetize controversy, other games this developer has sold via Steam include “Tyde Pod Challenge” and “White Power: Pure Voltage.”

Developers can submit games to Steam by paying a $100 fee, but company guidelines bar any “content that is patently offensive or intended to shock or disgust viewers.” In recent days, the publisher of the video-game marketplace, Valve, has come under intense pressure to cancel the game’s release. A request for comment sent to Valve and Revived Games was not immediately answered. Acid said in a blog post last week that its game “does not promote any sort of violence, especially any (sort) of a mass shooting.”

Ryan Petty, the father of a Marjory Stoneman Douglas High student killed during a shooting at her school in February, called Sunday for the game’s release to be canceled. His daughter Alaina was 14. “It’s disgusting that Valve Corp. is trying to profit from the glamorization of tragedies affecting our schools across the country,” said Petty. “Keeping our kids safe is a real issue affecting our communities and is in no way a ‘game.’” Acid said it had contacted Valve about the criticism its game has received and will “more likely remove the (shooter’s) role in this game by the release” if the company agreed.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I look at teachers carrying concealed on campus this way...The state does not have the moral authority to determine that I can't defend my own life...period. They lack the moral authority to determine that a teacher gives up his/her right to defend their own lives just because they're in a school building. My rights don't go away just because the state has deemed a particular location to be gun free.

I carry concealed...concealed means that nobody knows I'm carrying. My wife carries concealed too...nobody knows when or if she's carrying. Neither she nor I advertise the fact. Should one of us be required to draw our weapon and fire in the defense of our own life or in the defense of someone else's life...we'd be glad to depend on the judgement of 12 jurors rather than the arm strength of 6 pallbearers.

I spend more time on the range than most cops do. Ask the cops on the forum how much time they spend putting rounds down range...I'll bet that most of them only shoot for qualifications...there are some who shoot for fun, but not that many. I have been shot at before, I've never shot back, but I understand that returning fire is a different ballgame than shooting paper targets...however, my wife and I shoot enough to understand exactly what's going to happen when we draw and fire our guns. I don't have a kneejerk reaction to civilians with concealed carry using their weapons.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
A gun sticky, thread, sub-forum in a musicians’ forum reveals a great deal about its members. Looked at a dozen other musicians’ boards, couldn’t find another example of such content. One generally agrees that music embraces art, poetry, aesthetics, creativity and humanity. I think your gun thread is inappropriate. As a paying member, I am expressing that opinion.

There are about 1,000 gun related forums. I’m active on 3 or 4.

Deus Vult

Reaction score
:laugh2:

1AC64B4F-C3CC-4F24-900E-1C8B99E10EEA.jpeg
A gun sticky, thread, sub-forum in a musicians’ forum reveals a great deal about its members. Looked at a dozen other musicians’ boards, couldn’t find another example of such content. One generally agrees that music embraces art, poetry, aesthetics, creativity and humanity. I think your gun thread is inappropriate. As a paying member, I am expressing that opinion.

There are about 1,000 gun related forums. I’m active on 3 or 4.