another P-90 thread

Metal_Murf

Reaction score
I put a SD custom shop P-90 sized humbucker in my USA Jr. because the hum bothered me. I got a CS 57 VOS Jr not too long ago and because of this site I kept the stock Gibson P-90 in. I'm loving the P-90 sound. Don't even notice the hum anymore (I even put the P-90 back in my USA Jr.). My VOS is completely stock. My only problem with this guitar is it's too bright. I've cut the treble on my amp, have the tone knob on the guitar at 3 (can't go lower and maintain "my sound") and it's close to perfect for me. My amp is a Soldano Hotrod 50 and I use moderate gain. I mostly play pop punk/hard rock and like to palm mute a lot. I don't play clean. Just roll the volume on the guitar for less gain. I'm looking for a P-90 that is less bright. I love the lows I get with the stock P-90 so I don't want to lose that (is that possible?). Any help is greatly appreciated. And thanks to all you p-90 nuts for indirectly converting me. I don't even play my R7 much anymore because I love the p-90 sound so much. Thanks again.

River

Reaction score
I recommend a Duncan Antiquity. Mine has a "woody" tone on 8 that my others don't get until about 4.

cynic79

Reaction score
You might want to consider a lower value volume pot if the guitar is too bright even with the tone rolled down. The Custom Shop probably has a 500k pot. Try a 300k pot and see how that works. It's cheaper than a new pickup, especially if you can wire it in yourself.

Metal_Murf

Reaction score
I recommend a Duncan Antiquity. Mine has a "woody" tone on 8 that my others don't get until about 4.

Thanks for the input. I've been considering the Antiquity or one from Wolfetone.

Latest Threads