Another one off to Freddy G

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this. Seller was realistic and accepted my offer, so I did get a pretty good deal. Nice fat .97 neck. Small repairable chip out of the headstock and a couple of small mojo dings in the body, but I like them, it's character.

1997 Gibson Custom Shop Historic Collection '56 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue 1993 - 2006 | G&D’S Guitar World | Reverb

As went my 1996 R6, this one also is going to Freddy G for mods. Of course the headstock will be fixed, the headstock veneer will be touched up, new nylon nut installed.

Bigger mods will be that the fretboard is going to be replaced with African Blackwood with low, narrow frets a la 50s fretless wonder, the back is going to be refinished to a translucent darkback, and most notably the neck is going to be reprofiled to ~70 degree V.

Actually took some measurments of my hand and decided on 70 degrees: it'll be a nice distinctive V that should fit into my hand like a glove, but will leave enough roundness of the back of the neck remaining to anchor my thumb.

When I asked my Gibson dealer (Huber Breese Music in Fraser, MI) to inquire of Gibson about a M2M with these features, the reply from Gibson was they couldn't or wouldn't make it to my spec. Between buying this guitar and what the mods will cost, it's much less expensive than the price of a Gibson M2M, and I can get exactly the configuration I want ... and I know there won't be any QC issues with Freddy, the man is an artist. So if you can't find exactly what you're looking for this is the way to go.

Don't look for a NGD any time soon, it's a lot of precise work that requires patience and skill, but it's worth the wait. Thanks in advance Freddy my friend. :cheers:

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats and looking forward to seeing the final results. Huber Breeze=top dollar. Hope it turns out the way you want. Sounds like a great instrument.

Latest Threads