Another noob with a question

3bolt79

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have been playing guitar since 1983. And in that time I‘ve only owned two Les Pauls...a1980 standard in tobacco burst , and a mid 2000’s Les Paul Custom. So 8 years on from selling my Custom, I had the opportunity to trade a rather worthless (to me)mkramer Pacer for a brand new, black Les Paul Studio. I picked the studio because it had my favorite set of buckers in it. That was just befor X-mas 2020.

Now I find myself wanting a Les Paul Jr. Can anybody tell me how then Gibson version compares to the Epiphone version? I really want to know about the necks. I prefer a thicker neck. But as I’m going to play it (yes there may be trips to the bars on open mic nights, if that is ever gonna be a thing again) Imwonder which one would be better. Trying in person doesn’t seem to be an option at this time. I won’t be able to get one for a couple of months. But I am wondering whether to get one, the other, or both.

I am on two sister sites at the moment. I will post some pics later after I figure out how to reduce the size of the files.

Kenshi

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from another newbie (but long-time lurker LOL). Much better hardware, wood and electronics on the USA Gibson than the Epiphone import. I know you're thinking about buying it to play, but eventually the Gibson will hold (and increase) its' value over time. If you buy the Epi, and end up adding the better parts to get it closer to a real Gibson, you'll likely spend almost as much in the end, and never get your money back, IMHO.

3bolt79

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from another newbie (but long-time lurker LOL). Much better hardware, wood and electronics on the USA Gibson than the Epiphone import. I know you're thinking about buying it to play, but eventually the Gibson will hold (and increase) its' value over time. If you buy the Epi, and end up adding the better parts to get it closer to a real Gibson, you'll likely spend almost as much in the end, and never get your money back, IMHO.
Yeah, the Epi version is like $379.00. I think I wiill get a Gibson version. Then, if I’m ever allowed in a bar again, without a mask, I just might get the Epi. You know the thing that can happen to a guitar when you take it to the bar. I wouldn’t take a 1500 dollar guitar to blues jam.

Latest Threads