Another Junior

Kit Tarkus

Reaction score
PXL_20201025_165006678 resized.jpg

I loved my 2019 Junior. About a year ago I found a 2019 LPJr Tobacco Burst Single Cut on Craigslist. It had been produced at Gibson only 6 months prior to my purchase. The Seller lived in a rural area and I agreed to meet him 1/2 way when he was coming 'into town' to 'get his hair cut'. It was nearly dead mint with all paperwork and I bought it on the spot. When I got it home I realized that it smelled horribly of some type of pipe/cigar smoke....impossible to have discerned in a hair salon. I tried many things over a long period of time to get the smell to abate but to no avail. This is the type of smell that after playing....it stays with you for the entire day no matter whether indoors or outdoors. I loved that guitar....but I couldn't take it anymore.

I put an ad on Craigslist this week and had a bite within 1 hour. I told the Buyer that it was mint but that it smelled of smoke and I just couldn't take it anymore. He debated whether he wanted to deal with the smell but he decided to meet me...and he bought it immediately.

I then called my buddy at Guitar Center and told him that I was looking to replace that Junior with a new one....that I wasn't in a hurry...and to call me when a deal arose. Thinking about it...I don't know that I have EVER purchased a brand new guitar in my life. Two days later he sends me a photo of a floor model priced VERY reasonably...and he says that because of the floor model price he can order me a new in the box Junior and have it shipped to my house for the same deal. I said 'do it'. I was going 'potluck' and assuming I'd receive a 2020 and hoping for a light-weight example. I ordered the guitar on Friday at lunch time and the new guitar arrived in an unopened box on Saturday (yesterday) at noon. I live in KC so the distribution center is about 20 miles from my house.

The 'new' Junior that I received is in fact a 2019 serial number same as my previous Junior. Aside from some very slight finish dimpling directly adjacent to the fretboard on the guitar's top (dust in those corners next to the fretboard during finishing?) the guitar is perfect. Compared to my smoked LPJr...this one feels EXTREMELY light and according to my bathroom scale weight with (a) me holding the guitar vs. (b) me alone on the scale....the guitar weighs either 6.8 or 7 lbs. I'll have to figure out a better way to weigh the guitar....but it is FAR lighter than my previous Junior for sure.

I am a little disappointed that it wasn't a 2020 Junior that arrived at my door. I am a little disappointed that the finish is even slightly distorted....albeit this blem is VERY difficult to see without perfect light and the blem is in a place that is difficult to detect. My goal had been to replace that smoky Junior with the same guitar...hopefully a 2020 and lighter version...and one that of course didn't smell like a cigar's a-hole.

It plays beautifully right out of the box. It is the only guitar model that I have ever sold and immediately re-purchased an identical model. These are just really fun, well made, easy playing guitars. I could nit-pick it to death I s'pose....but man....sub 7lbs brand new Junior....I'm happy with it. It cost me about $200 to 'trade-up' from my used CL purchased boat anchor weight smoked LPJr to this feather-light new-in-the-box example.

Perfection?...seldom....but methinks this worked out pretty well for me. If anyone is on the fence about these Juniors...I can't speak highly enough about them. I went from saying "Gibson wants HOW MUCH MONEY for those?" to now having bought two of them inside of a year.

Last edited:

sparky2

Reaction score
Sure it's a 2019, but it's still new out of the box.

I have bought brand new guitars (from Sweetwater) that had been in the warehouse for a few years.

They just never sold, and so sat waiting for me to eyeball the prices and sales to finally pull the trigger.

;)

endial

Reaction score
Great story.

Killer guitars they are.

For the record, if you happen to fall in love with a cigar/cigarette smelly guitar in the future, a mild water and white vinegar solution on a dampened cloth should do the trick of getting rid of it. Can also take the same rag and let it sit in the case for a couple days (without the guitar) and it'll take care of that too.

Kit Tarkus

Reaction score
Great story.

Killer guitars they are.

For the record, if you happen to fall in love with a cigar/cigarette smelly guitar in the future, a mild water and white vinegar solution on a dampened cloth should do the trick of getting rid of it. Can also take the same rag and let it sit in the case for a couple days (without the guitar) and it'll take care of that too.

Vinegar on nitro?...no problems? I tried about everything....including even one of those ozone machines. I've had smelly guitars before...but this was awful...at least to my nose. It was almost as if the fresh/new nitro reacted unfavorably to whatever smoke it was exposed to. It was sickening to me. Hopefully the new owner doesn't find it as offensive.

endial

Reaction score
"...Household furniture polish and all-purpose cleaners—such as Pine Sol, Windex, and 409—will also damage your finish. The only household product that’s safe to use to clean your guitar is white distilled vinegar. " as per this article:
Guitar Shop 101: Safe Ways to Clean Your Guitar's Finish

I can easily understand the possibility that the smell of nitro could "enhance" the odor of tobacco. I just thought I'd throw that info into the mix. Some people have sensitive noses. It's as simple as that. A vinegar odor should dissipate somewhat quickly also. Mmmmmmmm....guitar salad!

Kit Tarkus

Reaction score
"...Household furniture polish and all-purpose cleaners—such as Pine Sol, Windex, and 409—will also damage your finish. The only household product that’s safe to use to clean your guitar is white distilled vinegar. " as per this article:
Guitar Shop 101: Safe Ways to Clean Your Guitar's Finish

I can easily understand the possibility that the smell of nitro could "enhance" the odor of tobacco. I just thought I'd throw that info into the mix. Some people have sensitive noses. It's as simple as that. A vinegar odor should dissipate somewhat quickly also. Mmmmmmmm....guitar salad!
Thanks for the article. I don't think of my nose as particularly sensitive and I have owned many smelly guitars over the years. This one....with its combination of new(er) fresh nitro and whatever cigar/pipe that this guy must've been smoking 24/7....it made me sick. I couldn't even leave this guitar out or play it in the presence of my family without them wincing. Granted we have a generally smoke free home. This guitar was just...to my senses....really nasty.

I tried using a cleaner specifically for nitro finishes (several times). I laid the case outside/open in the sun (several times). I used an ozone generator (several times). Charcoal. Lemon oil on fretboard....string change(s) of course. Yadda yadda. On and on. After a year....I gave up. Loved the guitar....couldn't stand the smell. Loved the guitar enough to replace it with an identical new one. Done deal. Back to happy.

Last edited:

endial

Reaction score
"The Old College Try" :yesway: :laugh2:

That's some full-hearted effort there!

Yeah, done deal. You're better off.

Enjoy that dog!

Latest Threads