Another Classic "Recommend me an amp" Thread

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah your right, that was my first thought too, but look at the ladder, this poor boy will die, he needs some small killer amp!

Lol getting stuff up there is actually not too bad. Taking it down? Terrifying. On my way up, I can at least set the amp/guitar on the floor half way up the ladder and climb the rest with free hands.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well how many tube amps with 8" speakers have decent spring reverb? The reverb tank takes up some room.

If price isn't a problem I'd recommend Swart or Tone King. The Carr is probably great, but I have no experience with it.

My max budget would be $2.5k ish. I don’t really want to spend that much though. I’d rather keep it under $2,000. I’ll check those brands out.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy an older Lionheart from when they were made in the UK.

I'm not usually a fan of 10" speakers, never mind an 8". This has a nice Celestion 12" and exceeds expectations on everything you're looking for. Just no attenuator.

My old friend Mike did a really nice demo when he got his on YT. View in HD. There are other demos as well:

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
$2,000 or under for a "practice" amp?

Man i'm getting old.

Quality over quantity. I have almost no use for an amp over 25 watts when I just play at home. Even with a 20 watt amp, I could probably still play with a group and be okay if I wanted to.

$2,000 for an amp (assuming I spend that much) I'm going to use at home almost every day and enjoy is worth it to me. 100%. Think of how many people on this forum who spend more on gear they probably never play, or even had intentions of playing before they bought it. My gear gets used. All of it.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well how many tube amps with 8" speakers have decent spring reverb? The reverb tank takes up some room.

If price isn't a problem I'd recommend Swart or Tone King. The Carr is probably great, but I have no experience with it.

Watching videos of the Tone King Imperial MKII. Officially on my radar :D

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the Laney isn't worth considering.....

But if the TK Imperial is in play, be sure to look into the Headstrong Lil King Reverb. A sweet offering for sure. And TK speaks for themselves.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the Laney isn't worth considering.....

But if the TK Imperial is in play, be sure to look into the Headstrong Lil King Reverb. A sweet offering for sure. And TK speaks for themselves.

Sorry I forgot to mention earlier that I had a Lionheart a few months ago. Loved the drive but that was about all I preferred. It wasn’t a UK model however.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention earlier that I had a Lionheart a few months ago. Loved the drive but that was about all I preferred. It wasn’t a UK model however.

IMO, the older Lionhearts are better and why I still have mine. Uk made vs China? Another thing to consider is retubing with Genalex Gold Lion tubes. They have a well rounded sweetness above most of the other choices.

Here's a teaser video my old friend Tom put up on YT of his Lil King Reverb. There are more videos of others playing them too. Talk about a REALLY sweet amp with gobs of clean headroom. And your pedals can make it anything you want.

Dazza

Reaction score
My mate had a stand alone Kendrick reverb tank. It was a lovely addition to any amp big or small. Something like that would open up far more amp options to you.

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, so I'm pretty set on the Tone King MKII. I'm just trying to figure out if I want to buy a new one ($2,400 at Sweetwater), or pick up a used one for $400-$500 less. Kind of wouldn't mind having some type of warranty IF something goes wrong, or if I hate the amp lol.

Latest Threads