Another Classic "Recommend me an amp" Thread

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So due to some recent life changes (good life changes), I had to temporarily downsize my amp collection. I just moved into a small town house in the suburbs with much more space than my previous apartment. Some of my amps and cabs had to go since I needed the money in order to make the move possible. Slightly disappointing, but what's more important is that I now have my own loft dedicated to toys!

It should only be a month or so until I'm financially ready to buy again. I'm looking for a 1x12 or 1x8 combo, low watt valve amp with built-in spring reverb. I prefer a combo but will consider a head. I want some sweet cleans and an amp that can take pedals well. Built-in attenuation is a plus. USA built is also a plus but not necessary. I have 3 amps on my list:

Supro 1605R - This looks pretty sweet, although I don't know much about Supro. It's a 1x8, 5 watt combo. The reverb in the videos sounds awesome. I'm just an at home player so I think the small size will be good enough for me. If anyone has experience with this amp, please feel free to chime in :D
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1605R--supro-1605r-reverb-5-watt-1x8-inch-tube-combo?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3142657161&rkg_id=0&product_id=1605Rd1&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20High&adgroup=Guitars&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=146356081826&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2pXXBRD5ARIsAIYoEbdsUes6GwgnlZVhkvqjdoW6XoFeFxP-h2LzlijcwhTkjyGUMspbaYsaAmHmEALw_wcB

Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Limited Edition with Weber Alnico - I recently purchased a new USA Hand-Wired DRRI but was slightly disappointed with it and I ended up returning it. I feel this option is the safe choice since I had another DRRI a few years back that I really liked. 22 watts is a bit loud for what I'm going to use it for, but I've made it work before. This model comes with an upgraded Weber speaker and shouldn't disappoint.

https://reverb.com/item/6803658-fender-65-deluxe-reverb-tan-oxblood-limited-edition-w-weber-alnico

Carr Mercury V - This is my dark horse choice. The price tag is high, but this amp seems worth it after listening to sound clips. Comes with built-in attenuation and built-in spring reverb. My only concern is how the cleans will sound on this amp compared to the other 2. If this can do clean as well as it does dirty, then I might dish out the extra $ to give it a try.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...fBb5Sw9QDsp4nrFFY8THsADbu0K4n-ghoCcJUQAvD_BwE

Stuff

Reaction score
I know nothing about any of those amps. Just wanted to say congrats on the move. Whatever you end up getting, it's hard to beat the feeling of walking into your own dedicated gear den :)

Gridlock

Reaction score
The Carr Mercury V would be my first choice for your needs.

All three amps are decent fits though.

I’ve been impressed with the new Supro that I owned (Dual Tone).

The DRRI is a great amp, but you will need an OD pedal (Tube Screamer type) for low to mid volume overdrive.

All depends on the music that you like to play and the dollars $$$ that you are willing to spend.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Come on, man. Five-watt 1x8s, and you don't have a Fender Tweed Champ on your list? Do yourself the biggest favor of your life, buy one and put whatever pedals you want in front of it, including reverb. You're on the threshold of greatness, and you don't even realize it...

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about any of those amps. Just wanted to say congrats on the move. Whatever you end up getting, it's hard to beat the feeling of walking into your own dedicated gear den :)

Thanks a lot! Here are a few pictures. You gotta climb this little ladder here in the first photo to enter :D

House and loft 1.JPG
Loft 2.JPG
Loft 3.JPG
Loft 4.JPG
Loft 5.JPG
Loft 4.JPG
Loft 5.JPG

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on, man. Five-watt 1x8s, and you don't have a Fender Tweed Champ on your list? Do yourself the biggest favor of your life, buy one and put whatever pedals you want in front of it, including reverb. You're on the threshold of greatness, and you don't even realize it...

I would put the Champ on my list if it just had built-in spring reverb. I have a pedal but I want the real deal. :fingersx:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

lakeburst

Reaction score
Btw MichaelAndrew would you do some pedalboard closeups?
I'm a little curious. ;););)

Last edited:

Latest Threads