Another Carvin machining vid for bodies

straybeat

Reaction score
Since you guys liked the vid on fretboards I thought I'd throw some more up here. Everything is done on a CNC Mill for speed and repeatability. It's good to know that if you like your buddies guitar, then you're going to get one exactly like. The only differences would be color, inlays, hardware, etc. The guitar itself will be just like your friend's model and feel the same.

This first vid is the making of a Strat type of body all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnUKqRqQbao

This second vid has Frank Gambale following the construction of his sig model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7buUTLC8pMA

Mark

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Carvin uses some of the best looking wood I have ever seen from a mass production guitar maker. Their maple tops are killer.

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
back in the late 70's the Carvin catalog was like playboy to me..used to drool over these all the time...

straybeat

Reaction score
back in the late 70's the Carvin catalog was like playboy to me..used to drool over these all the time...
Yeah, me too! You must have missed my other thread? Here's my '81 DC150.

I picked this up after seeing that exact page above. :D

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
Man I just saw the other post and damnnnnnn.
That is beautiful.
Did you special order the body like that?

straybeat

Reaction score
Man I just saw the other post and damnnnnnn.
That is beautiful.
Did you special order the body like that?
Yes, it started out as a DC160 in March of '81, but I don't really like gold hardware, so I said stop right there and put it together. So it ended up as a 150 and I picked it up July 3rd. :D

It's all still bone stock except for the trem and bridge. I swapped those 10 minutes home from the factory.

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
Man I wanted one so bad and the catalog had so many fine looking guitars and sound systems.
I ended up buying a Music Man Sabre 2 instead and still kick myself in the butt even to this day.:hmm:

Blues4U

Reaction score
I really love their guitars from a craftsmanship perspective as well as the quality of the wood they use.

There are two things about their design i don't like.

#1-I really don't like their pickups. I would much rather send them a set of pickups and say "Put these in my new fiddle"

#2- They don't use or offer any sort of fretboard binding. I would already own one of their higher end guitars if they would put pickups other than Carvin PU's in and offer some sort of lighter fretboard binding.

They make a great guitar at a great price--

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
I've watched a lot of their videos before, definitely very cool.
I've only had the chance to play one Carvin though,
But it was nice, the neck was too wide for my tastes though.

affordablehearing

Reaction score
You know.. When I was living in LA I used to go by the carvin store from time to time. I always thought "man these are some of the best playing, sounding, feeling and looking guitars I have ever played" yet I never bought one and always opted for something else when it came time to think about it. not to mention their affordable pri es for a truly custom instrument

Has anyone else felt this way?

Blues4U

Reaction score
You know.. When I was living in LA I used to go by the carvin store from time to time. I always thought "man these are some of the best playing, sounding, feeling and looking guitars I have ever played" yet I never bought one and always opted for something else when it came time to think about it. not to mention their affordable pri es for a truly custom instrument

Has anyone else felt this way?
I am the same way. I have played dozens of them and they all play great.

THDNUT

Reaction score
I have a DC 400 I ordered back in '97. I paid for upgrades including rounded body edges, quilt top w/matching headstock overlay, gold hdwr, Wilkinson tremelo. It's finished in trans blue. It's a fantastic instrument.
All this delivered to my door for $1150. It's definitely a premium super strat.

There's pics of it in the MLP gallery section under my name, if you want to see it.

straybeat

Reaction score
I really love their guitars from a craftsmanship perspective as well as the quality of the wood they use.

There are two things about their design i don't like.

#1-I really don't like their pickups. I would much rather send them a set of pickups and say "Put these in my new fiddle"

#2- They don't use or offer any sort of fretboard binding. I would already own one of their higher end guitars if they would put pickups other than Carvin PU's in and offer some sort of lighter fretboard binding.

They make a great guitar at a great price--
Carvin used to advertise that they had their own forest in like Vermont or something? Don't know if they still do though, I haven't bought a new one since like '93.

#1 - They would probably do this? They were always great about working with you. There have been plenty of guys who literally sent in a chunk of log and asked, "Would you please turn this into a guitar?" And Carvin did!

#2 - Hmmm, you got me there? Outside of all the Gibson LPC's I've owned, I never cared about or paid attention to fretboard binding? :laugh2: You should send them and email and ask. I'd be interested if they'd go that far?

Latest Threads