Another call out to the fake spotting experts

RB5150

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was in a local shop, and I'm no expert but I'm thinking that I spotted at least two fakes (I got pics of one) and I just wanted to make sure. Besides the sloppy Gibson logo, and not having the dotted 'i', the Les Paul Model looks like it was set higher than on other LPs that it was hung near.

Is the "Les Paul Model" always is a set area on the headstock or does it vary by model, or am I right that I've spotted my first fake?

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 151

Madguitarist78

Reaction score
Sorry, I cant really judge from those pics. I have seen some LP with the "Les Paul Model" logo up pretty high, but this one takes the cake and I dont know about that Gibson logo... I'm 50-50.

eldiablo

Reaction score
I'll let the members experienced at spotting fakes tell you if it's real or not but I do know that there are legit Gibson's where the logo's do not have the letter i dotted.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
Real. Going by the logo and Les Paul script, I'd say late '80s pre-historic of some type. Inlays point to that as well.

-=[Shifty]=-

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I say it's real. That guitar has fret-edge binding, as far as I can see.

ehamady6

Reaction score
It looks real but the Les Paul Model signature's placement is definitely weird to me. It may be normal for that model and many people probably like the look, but my eyes can't get used the spacing.

Boleskinehouse

Reaction score
:rolleyes: Its real, I'm just not sure what it is yet. Should have gotten more pics.

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
It sure looks real to me. Do not expect all Les Pauls from all years to look just like a 2009 Les Paul Standard! Those Les Paul scripts were all over the place, and there are SEVERAL versions of the Gibson Logo, and variations of each version. My advice would be get familiar with REAL Les Pauls before you start trying to fake spot.

Satch0922

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was in a local shop, and I'm no expert but I'm thinking that I spotted at least two fakes (I got pics of one) and I just wanted to make sure. Besides the sloppy Gibson logo, and not having the dotted 'i', the Les Paul Model looks like it was set higher than on other LPs that it was hung near.

Is the "Les Paul Model" always is a set area on the headstock or does it vary by model, or am I right that I've spotted my first fake?

What shop is it in? What are they asking for it?

lp_junkie

Reaction score
In attempts to recreate the 50's LP's they have moved the LP script up a bit and used the old style inlay.

Look at BOTB, the ladies that put those Les Paul model logos on didn't always put them in the same place all the time, some of them are really low or really high.

Looks like a cool guitar.

Latest Threads