Another Bedroom Build

Barnaby

Reaction score
Edit - I see you've done exactly that and added that both pickups are actually working, as you found by connecting them both to a jack. From my end, at least, that's a relief! :laugh2:

Yours too, actually - it will almost certainly be a simple fix. :thumb:

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Yeah both seem to be working, I actually have others in there at the moment though, just to see what happens. When I was using yours the opposite was happening, only the neck pickup worked in a similar way.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Okay changed the pickups back to Barnaby's set and I think I'm one step closer to victory.

This is what happens now:
neck pos. - everything works as it should
mid pos. - Everything works ( as far as I can tell, the bridge volume is working normally)
Brige - nothing

The fact that the bridge pickup works in the middle position with volume and tone control makes me almost certain that its something at the switch end...again.

Barnaby

Reaction score
One other thing to check for is that there aren't any tiny stray wires coming off the braided stuff at the switch end. These can short stuff out easily in a million ways. I've been caught out by this in the past.

Nowadays, I use a 4-conductor wire with a braided shield for the switch and am super careful to deal with the shield properly. I also use heatshrink to make sure there are no accidental shorts.

If the switch is the probable source of trouble, then it might be worth desoldering everything, checking that all of the connections work properly with a meter and then resoldering carefully, taking particular care of the braided leads.

Do you have any photos of your cavities as they are? :hmm:

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
I've been checking all over for the little shorts. At first I was sure it was something like that so i put un-shrunk heat shrink sleeves over some of the suspicious connections.
As far as the switch goes I'm not really sure that much can go wrong with it, I mean if it is capable of selecting both pickups then it would definitely be fine with just the one seeing as all the switch is doing is disconnecting the other one. It's pretty straight forward to see whats going on between the connections so I don't really think that's to blame.
I was thinking that some stray little wires may be touching one of the sandwiched pieces of metal in the switch and causing a short there, but after some heat shrink nothing had happened.
I'll try upload some good pics tomorrow, maybe someone will spot some obvious goof.:rolleyes:

Another thing... I'm noticing quite a bit of checking around the guitar.:shock: It happened a bit on the last one too which I used he same lacquer with.
I don't really mind cause I think it looks cool and very subtle (I have to get at the right angle under the right light to see) but I should probably find out what I did wrong for future builds...

johnP-90

Reaction score
Concur with Barnarby, check out the switch wiring runs 1st, common earths from the switch body (often not crystal clear on the schematics) and fine tooth comb for the "bleedin obvious" on the pots with wiring plan & circuit tester. Had similar on a few builds, but a fresh pair of eyes the following morning usually sorts it. :thumb:
Cheers John

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
To be honest with you its sitting in its case with no strings unfortunately, and I've been pretty busy with exams and stuff to do anything regularly with it.
I replaced the switch twice, 3 sets of pickups and a couple of potentiometers, and the same problem comes up!
Nothing in the bridge position and a weak sound in the middle!
When I have some time I'm going to basically rip out everything and just start again completely from scratch so the same problem can't crop up.
I just don't understand how the same problem can come up across all those replaced components, I mean I'm following at least 3 sets of wiring diagrams which are exactly the same.

I do however have some really nice pictures of it with all its hardware which I thought I uploaded!:rolleyes:
I'll put them up here soon.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Here's a couple that I dug up, I'll have a look for a more complete set :thumb:

A nice family photo :naughty:

emoney

Reaction score
That's too nice to be a case queen, and you worked so hard to get to this point. You could always do what I do when there's a wiring problem; give it to someone else to fix. Seriously, it's probably something small but you're frustrated and are overlooking it. Good luck as that's a beautiful guitar you built.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
That's an awesome guitar! Hate to hear your having wiring problems. Good luck to you!

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
emoney, i may well do something like that, although if I were to go to a repair shop, I have a couple of other guitars in need of some work which I'd need to do aswell, don't know if I can pay for all of that at the minute.

Thanks AndrewLP, I'll keep this thread posted when I sort out this stuff.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Well I'm a year late but I've finally managed to get some decent clips of me playing the thing.

I ended up ripping all the electrics out and just re doing everything and it worked! The Barnstormers are amazing. Haven't had that much experience with PAF replicas but these are everything I want and more. Not too strong not too weak, when you dial back the volume you can get a kind of p90 tone which I find myself using alot.

I don't think I'll ever need to buy another guitar again, this is perfect. Took it to Denmark Street to get it set up properly and it somehow plays better than anything I've played before. Doesn't mean I won't build a few more though.
The guy who did the set up also solved the polish-stuck-in-the-grain problem, he just rubbed some die on the back and its unnoticeable.

Sound quality and playing quality aren't quite there but hopefully it gives an idea of what the guitar sounds like. I think I'll get myself a good mic soon and make some proper videos.
Sorry its just me soloing, I cant really resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Z5ZDaYwY4

Thanks again to Barnaby for the pickups, they really complete the guitar. To me, they sound perfect

Barnaby

Reaction score
I agree - looks and sounds great!

Glad you are happy with the pups, too. :thumb:

Spotcheck Billy

Reaction score
I agree. The guitar is a winner. Glad you stuck with it and solved the electrical problems.

Latest Threads