Another Bedroom Build

johnP-90

Reaction score
Nice one Nick, yer welcome. I have a Bosch 1/4" router for the over the template stuff, but a 1/2" beast comes in handy sometimes. I have a Trend 1/2 router in my router table that is great for profiling & does a good job as a "jointer" with a long fence on the table.
Have lots of Trend ball bearing cutters & long straight cutters if yer ever stuck! Yer welcome to come round & use any of the overhead jigs though I suspect you've got most of it covered, if not, give me a shout.

Ta, John.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
I think I would be alright with just the right sized bits, I just can't find any long enough with bearings to do the cavities through the templates as I don't have a pin router.

johnP-90

Reaction score
I think I would be alright with just the right sized bits, I just can't find any long enough with bearings to do the cavities through the templates as I don't have a pin router.
Yeah, I had the same problem hence going bonkers & building my mini pin job. I think you will be alright with the pickup template on top, like "ExNihlo" does but you will need a 2" long 1/4" cutter. Trend do one, which I used on my overhead router jig.
Took me ages to align it all accurately mind on the template underneath.
With your 1/4" router & template on top you should get the depth of cut. If not yer welcome to use my mini pin router, if you have an afternoon to spare setting the sodding thing up! Ha Ha.
(Still have the false bed jig that the template screws on to if need be, yer welcome).

Cheers, John.
PS Looks like you scored on the Mahogany, that looks a nice blank you have there. Where did you get it from?

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll be back in London in a couple weeks hopefully with a new router so I'll see how it goes:fingersx:

The mahogany was off ebay, originally from tonetech. Got a decent discount seeing as tonetech don't do brazilian mahogany anymore(or any mahogany for that matter) I had an old growth piece from ebay but was just too short for an LP, but its saved under the bed as it's the perfect size for an SG!

johnP-90

Reaction score
Nice, any old growth wood is got to be good.:thumb: Getting harder to get this nowadays, in blighty, country cousins in USA get all all the good stuff! (Jealous):thumb:

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Yep, was about to order a really nice piece from an american seller for a very nice price - ''sorry we cannot ship to Europe''

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how I'm going to do the cavity routes. I am sort of inclined to do this the 'non historic' way. That would be sawing the cavity shapes out of the mahogany, then deepening the areas for the pots in the maple later.
I am confident with the router but not sure quite ready to do those deep routes with such a massive bit. Not to mention the extra money I'll have to spend.
I have a couple days before I can get back to work so I guess I'll decide by then..

johnP-90

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how I'm going to do the cavity routes. I am sort of inclined to do this the 'non historic' way. That would be sawing the cavity shapes out of the mahogany, then deepening the areas for the pots in the maple later.
I am confident with the router but not sure quite ready to do those deep routes with such a massive bit. Not to mention the extra money I'll have to spend.
I have a couple days before I can get back to work so I guess I'll decide by then..
You could consider doing it flat with the template (not angled) down to about 1/4 from the start of the Maple cap (if that makes sense) then drill the final depth for the pots, with a 1" Forstner drill bit, angled by about 8 degrees to match the camber of the top carve. You would not need a massive 1/2" cutter then, a 50mm cut 1/4" cutter would probably suffice. You would have a flat bottomed cavity, but tilted pot holes to match the camber in the top. Best done when top is carved so you know how much wood you got left!!:naughty:

Cheers, John.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Thanks John, that is one option that I am thinking about. On the last build I cocked up the cavity a bit when I went down that road (thinking that was actually how it was done) and the result was a bit messy.
However I have been thinking and since I am using a pre cut Bartlett top, It could be possible to cut the angled 'route' into the top before I glue it in. That way I can still saw out the mahogany by hand and I have several options for getting the shallow route into the maple cap.
This way it would still look reasonably correct and I probably wouldn't need the router. I could even use a dremel router base freehand at the right angle considering how shallow the cut would need to be.
To me this seems simple enough, but I'm worried about some flaw that I'm not seeing.:hmm:

johnP-90

Reaction score
Thanks John, that is one option that I am thinking about. On the last build I cocked up the cavity a bit when I went down that road (thinking that was actually how it was done) and the result was a bit messy.
However I have been thinking and since I am using a pre cut Bartlett top, It could be possible to cut the angled 'route' into the top before I glue it in. That way I can still saw out the mahogany by hand and I have several options for getting the shallow route into the maple cap.
This way it would still look reasonably correct and I probably wouldn't need the router. I could even use a dremel router base freehand at the right angle considering how shallow the cut would need to be.
To me this seems simple enough, but I'm worried about some flaw that I'm not seeing.:hmm:

Ah Ha!! You kept the Tom Bartlett top quiet! :naughty: The only flaw I can see is when you glue the pre-routed top onto the body you will get some mis-match. Could be done with accurate marking I suppose if you cut the body cavity before gluing the top, then mark it up and cut the top to match. It then only has to slip a fraction when gluing the top to come out crook!
Or you are welcome to use my angled "2nd rout" jig & large cutter. Would be a shame not to with one of Alk-3's tops.
This is probably the most challenging aspect of the build me thinks to get right & yer right to be mentally planning ahead and consider all issues. Bit like chess building one of these!!:shock:

Ta, John (What happened to "Keith" on the avitar?)

Ta, John.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
I was saving the news about the top for later:D, didn't post a photo yet because it got a little warped on the way over. It's been sitting for a couple of weeks now so with any luck it should be good to go when I start again.
I'm planning on screwing the top down where routes would be. That will keep it steady while gluing and will make sure my marking is exact. Still not too sure about this plan though, may still try the traditional way.
As for Keith, I watched This is Spinal Tap again recently and the bit with shark sandwich made me chuckle:D

johnP-90

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan! Sorry to force the news of yer Alk-3 top but your right to plan 3 steps ahead! Dont want to jack yer thread either with too much help as its all about finding your own methods & technique end of the day.

Ta, John.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Its a shame I can't really do it the 'proper' way. I'm trying to keep the costs down on things like this so I can get things like carved tops to save time. I've found out I have an extra week to work on this before I go back to school so hopefully I can get the body complete and practically ready for finishing in the 5 weeks I have.
May even have to buy a pre made neck:shock: as the cost would be about the same when you take tools and stuff into account.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
On a side note, look what I found on my guitar in Greece.
Managed to get a picture as I was letting it go outside:D

SuperDuper

Reaction score
Hey are u from Greece??? I am asking because I am. I have found a hawk on my guitar headstock..

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Yeah I'm half greek, on the Island of Skyros right now. First time we've had a snake here!

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Well I'm back in London now so its time to get back to work...

Here's My Bartlett Top :D

Love the grain on this top so much, part of the reason I want to do a lemon drop is to show off as much of it as possible. You can't see the flame so well in the pics but it is nice and even throughout.
On top of that the carve is perfect and the pickup and neck planes are all perfectly flat which should make routing and jigs simple. The top is pretty much complete, no work to be done apart from trim the edges down later. Worth every penny IMO. Lets hope I can do it justice.:fingersx:
It also came with a handy negative of the top which has been usefull to clamp it down while I mark stuff.

Now back onto the building, I'm waiting on a stewmac order (no doubt I'll get another letter from DHL asking for more VAT:shock:) with a binding router bit and some binding. Got the white and cream binding as the cream is too pinkish for some, although I did not have trouble with it last time.
So at the moment I am getting the edge of the body square which is not too easy in the 'corners' when doing it by hand.
Heres my spindle sander. :rolleyes:

It seems to be doing the job. Slowly.

p45

Reaction score
re the yellow handled hollow rasp i got one a while ago but i dont like way it cuts
it didnt cut any faster than a convetional 1/2 round rasp but was much rougher with deep gouges
= )

vugy

Reaction score
EMCT content.... cant get better than this for sure:thumb:

Latest Threads