Another Bedroom Build

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Well I've been inspired to build another les paul, hopefully more accurate than the last one so I'll be documenting it here for those that care.
Didn't think my second build would be another les paul but I guess thats the luthiers corner for you :rolleyes:
Been getting familiar with my planes and chisels for some time so hopefully my new skills and knowledge I got from the goofs on the last build will keep cock ups to a minimum on this one.
The plan as of now is lemon drop ('cause its hard to stain a burst right first time:laugh2:) probably with a bigsby. I will use the Bartlett plans, template and a top for this and Have found some Brazilian mahogany, which isn't that easy over here. It'l probably involve some kind of push/pull nonsense because I love a Mr gadget guitar:D
As the title suggests I have to most of this in my bedroom, apart from power tooling, finishing and any other stuff that will make a mess which I do outside, although I get by with a hoover-up every few minutes.
I'll be starting within a couple of days, maybe even tomorrow(my delivery has been delayed 2 weeks after parcelforce cocked up their side of the delivery)
Also time is kind of of the essence as I only really have a few weeks here at home before school starts, and I am doing some work experience at Vox which should be fun!

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of my 'new' planes. Got 'em a couple of weeks ago; £60 for Stanley/Bailey no.4 and 5 1/2, although they were in pretty rough shape when I got them and still need a bit of work. I have got rid of all of the rusting on the moving parts and the soles and done my best to remove the deep scratches in them. That said they cut pretty well as they are but I do need to get my sharpening technique down.
The no 4

The 5 1/2...

As I said they need some more cosmetic work but they are functioning well which is the main thing.
And now my new best friend:naughty:

Not sure as to the age of the planes, potentially very old I guess as they don't say stanley anywhere except the iron, then again I really know nothing about them. If there are any collectors/experts here I would be very grateful if you could chime in:thumb:

ocw

Reaction score
without having them in hand, i'd say they are type 11 made between 1910 and 1918, but, like I said, that is without having them in hand. I'm no expert, but I do collect stanley bailey's, specifically type 11's. One way to tell for sure is to measure the height adjustment wheel, if it's 1.25" in diameter, that puts it at a type 12, made between 1918 and 1924. If it's less than 1.25" it's a type 11.

Hope this helps.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
without having them in hand, i'd say they are type 11 made between 1910 and 1918, but, like I said, that is without having them in hand. I'm no expert, but I do collect stanley bailey's, specifically type 11's. One way to tell for sure is to measure the height adjustment wheel, if it's 1.25" in diameter, that puts it at a type 12, made between 1918 and 1924. If it's less than 1.25" it's a type 11.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! Just measured the wheel they both have a 1'' diameter. Now I'm sure of a rough age I'm more inspired to get them looking nicer.

ocw

Reaction score
glad i could help, but be careful, plane collecting, much like guitar building, is an addiction

Barnaby

Reaction score

Hope this helps.
Beat me to it - nice one! :applause:

I'm really going to enjoy this build, and it's also good to see the Shinto rasp. Love those things. :thumb:

Mungo Park

Reaction score
Looking good, I have a real weakness for Baily#3's.
If you want to clean them up, they are now looking good and in fine working order, soaking all the parts( except the wood parts) in citric acid does a good job. You can buy the stuff at health food stores for a good price.
Planes are always a good thing to have around even if you use them for door stops. Looking forward to your build. Cheers Ron

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Looking good, I have a real weakness for Baily#3's.
If you want to clean them up, they are now looking good and in fine working order, soaking all the parts( except the wood parts) in citric acid does a good job. You can buy the stuff at health food stores for a good price.
Planes are always a good thing to have around even if you use them for door stops. Looking forward to your build. Cheers Ron
I didn't have ciric acid at the time so I tried some rust remover which quickly got rid of the rust but left a nasty surface on the plane

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Well the goods have arrived so I guess I can begin!
First I marked everything out onto my mahogany

As you can see my 'workspace' is a tip but it does the trick.
Then I taped a template to the body to use as a guide for the sawing and got going.

Would have liked to get this done outside but....July showers

So, after Led Zeppelin II and a few blisters I cut out the shape and used the Shinto rasp(which is worth its weight in gold) to get closer to the final shape. I played it safe by doing the cutting at a bit of an angle to prevent myself from cutting to far in the opposite way.
I was worried about my coping saw being able to cope (pun intended) but it was more than capable.

Theres still some work to be done in the inner horn and in a couple of spots around the bidy to get the edges square but I'm pleased with the results.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Didn't have alot of time today but I managed to get some work done.
I used the 5 1/2 to plane the body to a sliver above final thickness, this allows a little room for sanding, probably after I do the roundover.

With the surface thicknessed and square with no twists it is ready for the cavity routs.

poro78

Noble savage
Premium Member
Reaction score
And now my new best friend:naughty:
I'm really going to enjoy this build, and it's also good to see the Shinto rasp. Love those things. :thumb:
Shinto rasp - I will never leave the house without it. :thumb:
If there only would be a (half)rounded Shinto aswell...

Has anyone tried round surform?
I just saw one at a store, but didn't buy it, because I wasn't sure if it would be good.

Oh, and welcome to the AGBU (Apartment Guitar Builder's Union). :thumb:

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Yeah they are great It removed 3 mm of wood around the body in minutes, a round one would be nice but I think one with a semi-circle cross section would be the most usefull.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
a little more progress, got the wiring trench done.

Also, for the last couple of days I've been doing some work experience with Vox and today was my last day. Just as I am about to leave they pull out a box and say ''It's for you'' and its a brand spanking new AC4! Well I think its safe to say that I'm a Vox man from now on. Not only does it look the bomb but it sounds brilliant too, what a great little AC with a top boost and everything!

ocw

Reaction score
all this talk of shinto rasps has me regretting not picking one up on my last trip to rockler.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
I saw one with a second handle which looked usefull but not as versatile as the handle-less one.

poro78

Noble savage
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I have to buy one those too some day.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Not going to be any more updates it for a couple of weeks as I'm away, but I'll get right into it in 2 weeks time.

johnP-90

Reaction score
Just seen this Nick, great start mate. Those hand planes look the real deal, nice! Its worth getting a flattening plate & some self stick abrasive paper to hone the sole of the plane truly flat btw. Theres loads of info on the interweb about tuning up hand planes but getting the sole truly flat is a good start. Also invest in some diamond extra fine hones & white waterstone with a good quality sharpening guide if yer can! (Takes time to acquire the right stuff mind, not to mention available dosh!)

Dont know what part of London you are but if yer ever up Leyton E10 way yer welcome to pop round, or use some of my tools & jigs if yer need to.

Good luck mate, your of to a great start here.:thumb:

Cheers, John.

nicudeemus1

Reaction score
Cheers John, your build was actually the clincher in convincing me to do another one.
I have decent sharpening stones and a guide, I think I need the extra fine stuff, at the moment I'm trying extra fine polishing compound on leather for the final part which seems to work.
What I really need is a proper router, at the moment I'm making do with a bosch 1200 1/4'' which just about did the wiring channel but I only recently found out it wouldn't take a 1/2'' collet which is a bummer. The trouble is finding the right balance between quality and cost as I want to get a cheaper router that will do the job well as I won't really be using it that often.
Then there's the task of getting all of the bits...I might have to to take you up on your offer of coming round, which is very kind of you! Im in north London by the way.