Another Beautiful Day on eBay

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
RANT...

OK so I have a no new gear in 2014 play what you have and be a better musician goal going on (It's working out pretty well)

As a result I have found a whole bunch of my gear I really don't need/use so I tossed up some pedals, mics, a speaker cab, some tubes I had rolled and even an old stock fender speaker that I pulled out of my blues Jr about a year ago on good old ebay to get some cash out of them

YAY everything sells, not only have I spent zero dollars on gear in 2014 I also liquidated $1500 in gear I'm not using.

But... then today I get two people contacting me because they changed their mind or (better still) they can't afford to pay what they bid, will I discount the price

I've been on eBay for years and have sold tons of gear and never run into this before.

who are these a$$holes. why the hell would you bid on something you can't afford or have no intention of buying.
No I won't give you a discount pay up or [email protected] off so I can sell it to a decent person
this seems much more like the kind of pond scum you have to deal with on CL which is precisely why I try not to use CL wherever possible

Reminds me of the good old days selling stuff at markets in London. My favorite line then was "will you knock some off for cash?" (at an outdoor market pre internet, pre cell phone credit card swipe days)
My answer then was "mate, do I look like I anything except cash? Pay up or shut up"

I'm trying to think of an appropriately snarky response to these internet a$$hats while I have to wait the six days to file a dispute, close said dispute and make sure eBay don't charge me for sales that never actually closed. Then relist the items and start all over again. What a waste of time

what a world..

LPBR

Reaction score
I don't think that the guys are necessarily @sses. You don't know nothing about them... maybe they were OK when they bidded on your stuff but then suddenly something happened and they were surprised with a non expected expense. It happens all the time.

I think that the only thing you have to consider is if you are opened to negotiate with them or not. Just that. Other than that, what's the big deal? You didn't pay anything else for the eBay ad and all the stuff stayed forgotten on your house for months or years, so what's the difference if it will take one more week to sell it?

Just negotiate with the guys. Or not. And go drink a beer because TGIF.

:thumb:

artisan4

Reaction score
Aren't they legally obligated to pay you? I have never sold on Ebay but I plan to.

The best customer service response is probably to let them out of the purchases and re-list.

LPBR

Reaction score
Aren't they legally obligated to pay you?
I really doubt they are 'legally obligated', but even if they would who would sue someone else for not honour an eBay buy of a small bunch of bucks? The maximum that could happen would be eBay to apply a sanction to the user such as deduct some points of his score.

I sincerely think that it doesn't worthes all the hassle.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm with the OP. You don't buy something at auction, then attempt to renegotiate. You come in correct and prepared, or you don't participate.

Smells to me like a cheap tactic.

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with the OP. You don't buy something at auction, then attempt to renegotiate. You come in correct and prepared, or you don't participate.

Smells to me like a cheap tactic.

Indeed! It's all about winning the bid not paying for some people.

Torren61

Reaction score
The correct response is "No. Please pay for what you bid on and won at auction or the appropriate feedback will be left and eBay will be contacted and a dispute will be filed."

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Simple solution: Don't use ebay.

Not that I don't feel bad for you, but I think it's kind of funny when people bitch and moan about this type of stuff (knowing full well how shitty ebay is), but still continue to give them, and the many aholes like this, their business.

Like others have said, cancel/relist.

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
Simple solution: Don't use ebay.

Not that I don't feel bad for you, but I think it's kind of funny when people bitch and moan about this type of stuff (knowing full well how shitty ebay is), but still continue to give them, and the many aholes like this, their business.

Like others have said, cancel/relist.

It puts me in an awkward position though. If I relist and sell to someone else, if the original winner comes back and pays then I owe them $500 of stuff that I don't have because I sold it to someone else

I've sent a request to both parties to cancel the transaction but so far they won't (I'm wondering if they are hoping I will relist and sell so they can come after me for not honoring the auction)

So now I have to go through all these ebay policy hoops to avoid getting billed listing and selling fees because the 'buyers' refuse to pay and then be allowed to resell my own property without the chance of being harassed later by cheap a-holes

Grrrrr

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
I think that the only thing you have to consider is if you are opened to negotiate with them or not. Just that. Other than that, what's the big deal? You didn't pay anything else for the eBay ad and all the stuff stayed forgotten on your house for months or years, so what's the difference if it will take one more week to sell it?

Just negotiate with the guys. Or not. And go drink a beer because TGIF.

:thumb:

I did negotiate with them, it was called an auction and they bid on it.

this was never a lottery to win a chance to negotiate price

the big deal is over $500, if tossing that away is no big deal to you give me your paypal address I'll send a payment request to you, you can pay for the items and I'll mail them to the auction winners :naughty: :laugh2:

I don't think that the guys are necessarily @sses. You don't know nothing about them... maybe they were OK when they bidded on your stuff but then suddenly something happened and they were surprised with a non expected expense. It happens all the time.

One thing I know about them is their mouse clicks are writing checks they can't cash and from the tone of their messages I can tell they are A$$hats with a capital A

Eternal Scar

Reaction score
I gave up selling on Ebay.Between the crazy fees and all the deadbeat bidders it's not worth it anymore!

Fracture

Reaction score
It's descending to Craigslist level,…rapidly.
I sold a perfectly good pair of Maui Jim sunglasses with Flexon Frames,
you can twist them like a pretzel and they won't break.
No longer made. $200 BIN or best offer.
I got a probe offer (stupidly low) and countered with what I expected to get.

No response.

Then I get what was my counteroffer from another buyer and accepted.
Take a bunch of pics and store them in a gallery.
I had never worn these glasses, ever.
Buyer was a woman from WA state and wanted them for her husband.
Upon delivery, she claimed that they were scratched and would I accept half.
I said if she could document the scratch I'd consider it.
MJ's seldom scratch and her pics showed nothing.

In the end, I still have the glasses and can't find the scratch.

During the dispute, I looked at her property from Google Earth.
A stye, trailers and junk cars strewn about. All kinds of abandoned shit
all over the property.
Trailer trash.

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
During the dispute, I looked at her property from Google Earth.
A stye, trailers and junk cars strewn about. All kinds of abandoned shit
all over the property.
Trailer trash.

I do have the non-buyers addresses from the ebay invoices and a yard that needs to have all the doggy poop scooped this weekend, as well as a couple of empty boxes that were supposed have music gear in them

Maybe I will ship these bozos something free of charge afterall

Mark B.

Reaction score
Things are getting more expensive on ebay as people have to factor in eBay and Paypal's ridiculous fees.

I'm sure I'm seeing less good stuff on there recently as people use alternative ways of selling.

I'm currently selling 3 guitars at the moment and for the first time I'm not using ebay.

LPBR

Reaction score

the big deal is over $500, if tossing that away is no big deal to you give me your paypal address I'll send a payment request to you, you can pay for the items and I'll mail them to the auction winners :naughty: :laugh2:

One thing I know about them is their mouse clicks are writing checks they can't cash and from the tone of their messages I can tell they are A$$hats with a capital A

Oops... my bad, you were not asking for opinions or suggestions, just ranting. Sorry, sir!

:facepalm:

Fracture

Reaction score
Kind of raises the point as to why we couldn't make this the better place
to buy and sell Les Pauls.

It could be done.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Hear, hear. ..And a harrumph of agreement.

That's not a case of "umm, I don't quite have all the funds right now.." as in 40 bucks short. That is substantial. In fact, that is a ridiculously large sum to go "pfft, what the hell" over. This is a case of them grabbing the bid, then purposely trying to low-ball you, thinking you'll give in instead of going to all this trouble.

UmpaHimself

Reaction score
I sold a pair of Air Jordans on ebay early this year, no refunds. The guy got them and I guess caught a case of buyers remorse since he spent $200 on sneakers. Claimed there was a defect and tried to get me to take them back. I told him it is what it is, I had plenty of pics up and he could have contacted me for more before hand. I told him anyone who has every owned Nike sneakers knows that they can be full of defects thanks to child labor. On top of it the sneakers really were as close to perfect as possible. He then says, at least leave me positive feedback, so I oblige. Then he opens a case against me and I guess ebay likes to side with the buyers which I'm sure is their bread and butter and decided that I give him a full refund for the sneakers in return. I was pretty mad to say the least and I gave him free shipping so I lost that in the transaction.

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
I really doubt they are 'legally obligated', but even if they would who would sue someone else for not honour an eBay buy of a small bunch of bucks? The maximum that could happen would be eBay to apply a sanction to the user such as deduct some points of his score.

I sincerely think that it doesn't worthes all the hassle.

You seem to have a thorough understanding of how these eBay slackers operate. You do much buying there? :hmm:

Latest Threads