Another bad nut and poor quality control from Gibson

glorioso

Reaction score
I juts received my brand new Les Paul Classic Custom last night and it has a bad nut. This is the 2nd LP I have gotten with a bad nut in 2 years. The pics below are the nuts of my Trad Pro (which I had to have replaced), Trad Bigsby and the brand new CC.

The high E is about to fall off the neck.

What's wrong with Gibson!? Why is quality control so poor!?

Attachments

Birdseyeview

Reaction score
Wow. That is poor. I see a gripe in every photo; feel supported in your customer dissatisfaction.:sadwave:

glorioso

Reaction score
Actually it's only the Classic Custom I'm bummed about.

Bountyhunter

Reaction score
Yeah that looks bad. The third pic doesn't look much better. Could be the pic itself?

glorioso

Reaction score
The third one is the Bigsby, the 1st is the Trad Pro that had to changed off a brand new guitar, so it's not stock.

The 2nd is my new Classic Custom. I used the other 2 as references to how the high E on the CC is way too close to the edge of the fretboard compared to the others.

I'll have to change this nut too. Love the guitar, but quality control has screwed me twice.

bdubbs

Reaction score
The 1st one looks like someone tried to cut it too low. Usually when companies mess up a nut they err on the side of not cutting into it very much. Luckily my trad plus was great. Do they plek the pro and custom?

Lysol

Reaction score
They Plek every guitar regardless of the model, even melody makers are Plek'D.

budg

Reaction score
Pleking isnt the puppys nads. It depends on the operator of the machine. All of the nuts on my 3 guitars have had the slots cut too narrow on the B and G strings . I know enough to take it in for a setup as soon as I get it and they end up widening the nut slots. The fretwork on the other hand have been superb.

db1408

Reaction score
Same old story, unfortunately people are happy to accept paying more for less, as long as that happens, nothing will change.

bdubbs

Reaction score
Pleking isnt the puppys nads. It depends on the operator of the machine. All of the nuts on my 3 guitars have had the slots cut too narrow on the B and G strings . I know enough to take it in for a setup as soon as I get it and they end up widening the nut slots. The fretwork on the other hand have been superb.
Maybe not enough focus on the nut. My luthier is a master with the plek. As i said my experience is them undercutting than over cutting the nut. Which is at least easy to fix.

Richlite

Reaction score
The nuts yes, but the frets are not plek'd on all lines. Only the Traditional, Standards,Customs, and Historics get the full treatment.

budg

Reaction score
The nuts yes, but the frets are not plek'd on all lines. Only the Traditional, Standards,Customs, and Historics get the full treatment.
Where do you get your info? I have heard it before by others , but I dont think there is any such thing as a "partial plek". Its either pleked , or its not.If you read the info on the Gibson website , there is nothing to differentiate
between 2 different types of pleking.

Sixstring63

Reaction score
Exactly correct. I'm a CNC programmer and the machine only works as good as the guy who programs it and the guy who sets it up. Crap input= crap output.

Richlite

Reaction score
Where do you get your info? I have heard it before by others , but I dont think there is any such thing as a "partial plek". Its either pleked , or its not.If you read the info on the Gibson website , there is nothing to differentiate
between 2 different types of pleking.
When you look at the specs of a Studio for example. It shows the nut is plek'd. In fact in the specs of all instruments, it says the nut "slots" are plek'd. Frets get plek'd on the higher models and usually they attach a sticker on the pickup.

budg

Reaction score
When you look at the specs of a Studio for example. It shows the nut is plek'd. In fact in the specs of all instruments, it says the nut "slots" are plek'd. Frets get plek'd on the higher models and usually they attach a sticker on the pickup.
My 335 didnt have a sticker attached to the pickups . Does that mean that the nut was the only thing pleked? I doubt it.:hmm:

captain von rat

Reaction score
did you expect your guitar to play perfectly out of the box? or to be set-up prefectly? if so, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Richlite

Reaction score
My 335 didnt have a sticker attached to the pickups . Does that mean that the nut was the only thing pleked? I doubt it.:hmm:
yes i suppose they dont do much stickering anymore. I have yet to see a Melody Maker or Studio come from Gibson with a plek stick. Besides this has been confirmed several times by Gibson that they dont plek the frets on all their usa models

Luckynumber3

Reaction score
Last time I checked, my nut looked like picture number 3. I got new pickups and a set up when I got my pickups installed, and nobody said anything and it seems to play fine, but now I am wondering if it would be better if I have somebody set it up.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think I've had at least 4 guitars that my Luthier changed the nut to a bone nut, cut to fit. It makes a big difference IMO. I will probably get him to do my Custom as well.

It's a beautiful thing to have a good Luthier that's done a lot of work on your guitars over the years. He understands what I like and what I need and he delivers. I don't have to say anything....just bring the guitar to him and pick it up when he's done.

Even reading glasses need to be set up and adjusted a few times.

River

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but none of those jump out at me as defective.

Nutsmanship is all about feel for me, and some that look like they couldn't possibly work, do. Others look fine, but don't.

I can't dog-pile on this rabbit without playing the guitars.