Another attack in the DR!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I don't travel much so I might not be the best authority on this.
But as a rule, I wouldn't go to a country that has doubtful security
and a strange idea of justice.

My wife once told me we maybe should consider go to a Mexico resort, all included,
with her sister and Mom, so they and our kids could live the experience of vacationing together.
I said: "I'm not going to a country where my kids can be kidnapped or we could get killed
and there wouldn't even be an investigation, apart from their "yep, they're dead" conclusion.

I wouldn't go to the DR even if it was free.
So there you go.

PeteK

Reaction score
Put it this way, if you are the most rich and famous Dominican ever, beloved by millions of your own countrymen and held up as a national hero, and you still get randomly shot in a bar, what friggin chance in hell does a random white nobody like me have in a country like that? No thanks. I'm good. Hawaii is still nice and you don't even need a passport. I think my bucket list will survive if I never step foot in the Dominican Republic.

danohat

Reaction score
I'll never travel to another country again. Btw, Pheonix is second only to Mexico City as the kidnapping capital of the world. Thanks a bunch, you fucking pieces of shit. Now that's progress!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have piles of friends that like to vacation in Cuba. Because it's cheap. They don't care that is a brutal communist dictatorship that represses basic human rights. Nope....they don't even think about that....it's cheap!
Eff that! I would never set foot in a place like that.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I have piles of friends that like to vacation in Cuba. Because it's cheap. They don't care that is a brutal communist dictatorship that represses basic human rights. Nope....they don't even think about that....it's cheap!
Eff that! I would never set foot in a place like that.
I totally agree. And it surprises me who goes. A couple years ago, I brought some of my students to perform at a Lion's Club function for charity. At the dinner, I was seated at a table full of hardcore Tories, who spent the time talking about their trip to the island prison.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
-Puerto Rico is technically part of the US.
-Not dangerous, unless you count lot of potholes, crazy drivers, and lack of AC in most private residences dangerous.

-Wife and her family are from Puerto Rico so I'm familiar with the island in ways a tourist may not be.

If you have any questions about PR, let me know. I'll find out if I can.

PeteK

Reaction score
-Puerto Rico is technically part of the US.
-Not dangerous, unless you count lot of potholes, crazy drivers, and lack of AC in most private residences dangerous.

-Wife and her family are from Puerto Rico so I'm familiar with the island in ways a tourist may not be.

If you have any questions about PR, let me know. I'll find out if I can.
What are you PR's PR guy or something?

NRBQ

Reaction score
She said she was drugged and forced into a room with a couple she had met there. Her story is just one reason never to accept a drink from anyone you don't know at a party, club, or bar unless you watch the bartender make the drink and put it directly in your hands, and if you ever put it down, go get a new one, no exceptions. I once knew someone that was paranoid about just that, he'd put his hand on his drink at work as if we were going to try and drug him; which in all honesty we were. With strangers it's just being prudent not paranoid. Just something to consider especially for women, they will be the target most of time I think. Just sayin.

Last edited:

pnuggett

Reaction score

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I've been there plenty of times but no more. Ny friends will have to come here to visit.
I've been here quite a bit over the past few years. In fact, I'm currently in Vega Baja for 2 weeks.

As mentioned, the wife and her family is from here. Most of the places we go are low on tourists.

If I was just a random tourist and didn't know anyone, I may think the way you do.

rogue3

Reaction score
I totally agree. And it surprises me who goes. A couple years ago, I brought some of my students to perform at a Lion's Club function for charity. At the dinner, I was seated at a table full of hardcore Tories, who spent the time talking about their trip to the island prison.
I've never been,and probably never will (my travel days are over,for the most part.)

Surprised? Everything cheap...including the companions.That's why, from what i've heard. They just don't tell.Human rights is not on their radar.

My Les Paul Classifieds