Annoyed by Floyd (Rose)

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I have generally avoided working on Floyd Rose equipped guitars over the years. Not by any concerted effort to avoid them, I just haven't sought them out.

But a few days ago a trade offer came along that I couldn't pass up. And now I've finally got a Charvel with a Floyd. Actually a Charvette, a more budged priced instrument, but who cares? It's in great shape for its estimated 35 year age and it fills a niche in my guitar collection.

However I noticed that it sported three different styles of bridge saddles in one bridge. And two of the original ones were there in the case in a bag,
but their back screw threads had been stripped out. No big deal there. I had a friend at a machine shop install helicoils in them and they're back where they belong.

Now for my little rant. If you don't know that Floyd saddles come in three heights, don't touch it. If you think that using a no. 2 (medium) saddle in place of a no. 3 (tall) saddle is in any way acceptable, even when you shim it with a piece of folded paper, don't touch it. If you can't be bothered to find the right parts and fix it right, keep your booger hooks off it!

It should have 2 no. 1 saddles, 2 no. 2 saddles, and 3 no. 3 saddles. It had three no. 2 saddles and was short one no. 3 saddle.

No wonder it played kind of poorly. String heights were all over the place.

And...now I've got the task of trying to find a MATCH for the original that's missing AND it has to be the right height. (no 3.)

Does anybody here have a source for the less common types of LICENSED Floyd Rose saddles? Apparently there are quite a few variations....

One thing that quickly irritates me is when I find that people who either don't KNOW how to do a repair right, or don't care enough to do it right, have been half-assing repairs on stuff they really should have not touched.

I swear that in all my years working on guitars, the hardest repairs were ALWAYS following somebody else's botched jobs.

NotScott

Reaction score
If that is the licensed, Jackson floyd, you are better off junking it and getting a real Floyd. The Jacksons were made from cheap metal that would strip after only a couple adjustments. Also, they haven't been manufactured in almost 30 years so finding parts is very difficult.

Freddy knows his trems. If he has something that will work, go for it!

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I'm going to see if a USA "genuine" Floyd will fit on the post spacing. If so...then I'm going for that.

Here are the three types I ended up with. Five out of six are the type in the middle so I am going to presume that that is the original type that came with this trem. I'm looking to find one in that style, tall height no. 3.

Floyd Saddles.jpg

NotScott

Reaction score
That is definitely not the Jackson POS, so finding parts should be easier. Have you tried here for parts:

JaxLPGuy

Reaction score
Now I feel bad. Well over a decade ago, I put an EVH D-tuna on my Kramer and recently started playing this guitar again and wanted to remove it. I know I have the original parts somewhere but they haven't been in any of the boxes I've checked. I took it up to my local shop and they only had long screws. :( I guess I'm going to have to buy a set of short screws and change them all out to match.

rose-bridge-1024.jpg

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Now I feel bad. Well over a decade ago, I put an EVH D-tuna on my Kramer and recently started playing this guitar again and wanted to remove it. I know I have the original parts somewhere but they haven't been in any of the boxes I've checked. I took it up to my local shop and they only had long screws. :( I guess I'm going to have to buy a set of short screws and change them all out to match.

View attachment 529253
That's a Schaller part.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm going to see if a USA "genuine" Floyd will fit on the post spacing. If so...then I'm going for that.

Here are the three types I ended up with. Five out of six are the type in the middle so I am going to presume that that is the original type that came with this trem. I'm looking to find one in that style, tall height no. 3.

View attachment 529240
The one on the left is a genuine Floyd Rose part. The middle and right saddles are licensed. But it looks like a genuine Floyd saddle set will work.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I took the trem out to check it, clean it, etc. and it's made by Takeuchi. That helps. It can help me find matching saddles...I hope.

Latest Threads