Aniline dye choice for les paul finish?

59lespaulmann

Reaction score
Aniline dye choice for les paul finish? Not sure what brand to buy? Doing a cherry sunburst andchoice of mahogany wood filler?

Thank you

sfenn

Reaction score
I've used the powders from LMI for years and love them, but they will fade.

B. Howard

Reaction score
I use Behlen's Solar-lux both as a dye stain and as a dye to create shading lacquers.

Shackenb

Reaction score
Keda dyes are for colouring wood and working mostly with water, not so much for tinting lacquer. If you want to do a LP the old way and get that special look, you need alcohol soluable dyes. Like J.E. Moser, LMI or J.D. Lakewoods...

I mailed with Keith from Keda about his dyes... very nice guy

"I feel horrible that I have to answer these questions with potential negative replies, but honestly, the dyes will not mix at all with oil bases, so using an oil based grain filler is pretty much out of the question. Often, we tend to use a water based grain filler, just because it tends to absorb a little easier into the wood, and works very well if going over the top of a base color. Our country has becoming much more strict on EPA compliances, and VOC chemical discharges. This is one of the reasons why I developed this kit, because many of the "Complaint" finishes out right sucked in plain terms. I couldnt stand spending $50.00 on a couple colors of wood finishes just to find I had to use dang near half the bottle to get a descent color and then find that I needed to order 2 more colors to tint the colors I just bought, since they werent the color I wanted. I personally use polyacrylic for tinting sealer. It is 3x harder then nitro and has amazing depth and clarity.

So long story short, and with all that said these dyes work best with water based products for tinting as they do not contain many of the harder chemicals then many other products may contain. However, the Blue, and Brown in this kit will work very well with alcohol, and may be mixed with an alcohol base then mixed into the nitro. The red mixes fairly well with alcohol, but may not be quite a color potent, but can also be used to mix into the alcohol then mixed into nitro.

Otherwise, the dyes are incredibly powerful, and their real strong point is coloring the wood. Many luthiers that use as alcohol based, typically add just a few drops of water to open the dyes, then add the alcohol base to make the alcohol based dye. There has been a huge shift to water based sealers here as their durability, clarity, easy clean up, and non toxic formulas have begun to surpass the performance of many alcohol based products. I am working very hard on just an alcohol based dye, but keeping it at safe levels with the power of the current kit has been a huge struggle. It really is nearly impossible to develop a dye that mixes well with everything and still remains a safe, and volitile organic compound (VOC) free finish."

Latest Threads