And you thought the new Dodge Dart was a bad idea....

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I heard on the Mecum auctions over the weekend that Chrysler had re-licensed the barracuda name. I just hope they do make it a muscle car and not do what they did to the Dart.

Chrysler to replace Dodge Challenger with Barracuda?

Motor Trend reports that Chrysler may forsake the Dodge Challenger for a resurrected Barracuda. The magazine cites two unnamed sources as saying the nameplate will surface in time to celebrate the vehicle's 50th anniversary in 2014. If true, the Barracuda will ride on a new smaller and lighter platform that's more fit to compete with the likes of the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro. The vehicle's bones will likely be shared with Alfa Romeo, which means a turbo four-cylinder may show up behind the Barracuda headlights as well as a fire-breathing V8. MT suggests the design may pull from the original fastback Barracuda, though a notch-back version would allow Chrysler to more effectively compete against the drop-top hardware from Ford and Chevrolet.

We have no doubt Chrysler and Fiat are currently investigating ways to breathe new life into the Challenger. The vehicle has been content to plod along as a distant third to its muscle-car rivals, but pulling the Barracuda name back into play seems unlikely. For starters, the Barracuda sailed under the long-dead Plymouth banner, and both Dodge and Chrysler have a long list of hallowed names from which to choose. Stay tuned.

Chrysler Looks to the 'Cuda to replace the Dodge Challenger - Motor Trend

Using the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300's last-generation platform, the Challenger is by far the largest car in this segment, at 197.7 inches long on a 116.0-inch wheelbase that is 4.2 inches shorter than the Charger's wheelbase. The Challenger is that long because it needed to mimic the 1970-'74 Dodge Challenger's proportions while using the Charger's tall front cowl.

A Barracuda replacement would be much more trim, though still on a RWD platform. Chrysler and Fiat are said to be jointly developing a new platform that's smaller than the current Charger/300's LY. Gilles' Barracuda will be a far less literal interpretation of its namesake, which featured three separate body style designs from 1964 to 1974. They potentially provide a lot of styling cues for the new car, which will avoid a retro look.

"Ralph's always wanted to do a new Barracuda," one well-placed source tells us.

We'd bet on Chrysler badging the Barracuda with the SRT brand name, like the next Viper, rather than using Dodge or resurrecting the Plymouth name.

Another source says the new RWD platform also would serve a lineup of Alfa Romeos, including a sports car, a coupe, and a sport sedan, and would help move that brand into BMW territory.

Revelations of a new RWD Chrysler-Fiat platform represent a huge reversal of attitude. With help from advancements in traditional internal combustion technology, including Chrysler's eight-speed automatic for longitudinal use, RWD has a future.

Read more: Chrysler Looks to the 'Cuda to replace the Dodge Challenger - Motor Trend

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Is nothing sacred???

Seems like the answer is a resounding NO. It's a shame. The Challenger rocks big time. The Charger is a fail and the "Dart" is as well. It would be cool if they didn't use the "Dart" name on the new car. I like the style and what it's going to be but it's not a "Dart". Now this!?!?!If they use an Fiat/Alfa chaise then it's going to be small and how do you fit a good sized V8 into it?? :hmm: A I4 turbo might be ok but it will need at least a V6, IMO. OH and don't use the Barracuda name for Gods sake. :(

HenryHill

Reaction score
What else they got? 'Road Runner' has less cache then 'Cuda.' 'Challenger' was never the hot name in Mopar muscle that 'Cuda' was.

As I've said, they have nothing but ancient marketing labels, and a V8. Fiat will be supplying everything else for a long time.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Seems like the answer is a resounding NO. It's a shame. The Challenger rocks big time. The Charger is a fail and the "Dart" is as well. It would be cool if they didn't use the "Dart" name on the new car. I like the style and what it's going to be but it's not a "Dart". Now this!?!?!If they use an Fiat/Alfa chaise then it's going to be small and how do you fit a good sized V8 into it?? :hmm: A I4 turbo might be ok but it will need at least a V6, IMO. OH and don't use the Barracuda name for Gods sake. :(

They are downsizing, as I've alluded to a couple weeks ago, to be more of a pony car like Camaro and Mustang. JUST big enough to cram in a Hemi, but with the tiny motors being more common.

Remember '65, '66 Nova/Chevy II's? Tiny; L-6's, small blocks and big blocks; and they sold millions.

The new direct injection L4's and V6's scream, and 300+ HP (to 425HP) Hemi's in a shoe box will be fast.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
they are downsizing, as I've alluded to a couple weeks ago, to be more of a pony car like Camaro and Mustang. JUST big enough to cram in a Hemi, but with the tiny motors being more common.

Remember '65, '66 Nova/Chevy II's? Tiny; L-6's, small blocks and big blocks; and they sold millions.

Yup... great cars. I think that the connection with Fiat/Alfa is a good think and will jazz up Chrysler. I just don't like the use of the old names on new cars. Come up with new ides and new car names. Alfa makes some nice cars that I like and would buy given that chance.

HenryHill

Reaction score
"The Dodge Avenger now seems to be moving to an enlarged, rear wheel drive version of the CUSW design, which it will share with Alfa Romeo Giulia and SRT Barracuda. The 200 is being led by Lancia people. See our Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger car pages. The Chrysler 200 replacement is reportedly to boast a turbocharged Fiat 1.4, Chrysler 2.4 (more powerful than the one in the Dodge Dart), or Pentastar V6.

RVC wrote, echoing other sources, “This new D architecture is a joint project, but it’s being developed in Detroit with Fiat engineers who have been flown over to be embedded permanently in the project. ... This decision (having a RWD D-segment architecture) was a costly proposition, and they took a good two years of tinkering between finance and marketing before they finally reached the decision to go ahead with this. ... E-Evo was discarded [for this purpose] last year, when it became obvious that if you shorten it too much you can't produce an aerodynamic, sexy looking D-segment car, on that huge beast. If you shorten everything, bulky elements like the cowl or the rear shoulders tend to become even more invasive.” Presumably weight becomes a problem as well if you share architecture and parts as well as dimensions.

Thus, we now expect Dodge Avenger to be a rear wheel drive four-door sedan and SRT Barracuda to be a limited production coupe, powered by a 6.2 liter supercharged Hemi, sharing with an Alfa Romeo coupe and hatch."

SO, a BLOWN 6.2 Hemi. 550HP??

srt-barracuda.jpg

Upcoming changes in the Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep car and minivan lineups

HenryHill

Reaction score
Yup... great cars. I think that the connection with Fiat/Alfa is a good think and will jazz up Chrysler. I just don't like the use of the old names on new cars. Come up with new ides and new car names. Alfa makes some nice cars that I like and would buy given that chance.

Modern US business culture, though. It's not like sequels and prequels are rare. :laugh2:

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
"The Dodge Avenger now seems to be moving to an enlarged, rear wheel drive version of the CUSW design, which it will share with Alfa Romeo Giulia and SRT Barracuda. The 200 is being led by Lancia people. See our Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger car pages. The Chrysler 200 replacement is reportedly to boast a turbocharged Fiat 1.4, Chrysler 2.4 (more powerful than the one in the Dodge Dart), or Pentastar V6.

RVC wrote, echoing other sources, “This new D architecture is a joint project, but it’s being developed in Detroit with Fiat engineers who have been flown over to be embedded permanently in the project. ... This decision (having a RWD D-segment architecture) was a costly proposition, and they took a good two years of tinkering between finance and marketing before they finally reached the decision to go ahead with this. ... E-Evo was discarded [for this purpose] last year, when it became obvious that if you shorten it too much you can't produce an aerodynamic, sexy looking D-segment car, on that huge beast. If you shorten everything, bulky elements like the cowl or the rear shoulders tend to become even more invasive.” Presumably weight becomes a problem as well if you share architecture and parts as well as dimensions.

Thus, we now expect Dodge Avenger to be a rear wheel drive four-door sedan and SRT Barracuda to be a limited production coupe, powered by a 6.2 liter supercharged Hemi, sharing with an Alfa Romeo coupe and hatch."

SO, a BLOWN 6.2 Hemi. 550HP??

srt-barracuda.jpg

Upcoming changes in the Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep car and minivan lineups
:shock::applause::applause: Now that will be FUN!! :D:dude:

lunchbox

Reaction score
I actually like the new Challenger. I think they did a good job with a modern version of it.

dodge-challenger-srt8-392.jpg

But why would they make a new Dart? Or make a Cuda with a 4 banger??!! WTF??

2013 Dodge Derp \/

01-2013-dodge-dart628.jpg

Old Dodge Dart

1968-dart-GSS.jpg

Evil Mopars

Reaction score
Watch it have four doors like the Charger! :slap:
Hopefully they get it right, but I won't hold my breath. It amazes me that they can be so clueless with some cars and trucks and so on target with others. Just look at some of the concept Charger pics that popped up all over the web, then look what they decided on. The Chargers not a bad looking car for a 4 door, it just shouldn't of been called a Charger!

HenryHill

Reaction score
I actually like the new Challenger. I think they did a good job with a modern version of it.

Because they have nothing else, the Dart is a Fiat, and so is the Cuda. Fiats have 4's, but the new motors have turbos and scream.

markerdown

Reaction score

Except for the ass end! To bring back the Bcuda they need to lighten up the ass end and not just stick fender gills and change the rear lighting.

The Bcuda E body was 2" shorter than the challenger and lighter. Trust me, I know, I still have mine!

CopyofMC3717wb.jpg

fancyfootwork

Reaction score
Seems like an odd remake. I did the challenger. I think it looks great and is packing some ok power. However sitting in it has you looking at mainly hood and not road. If they do remake the Barracuda.. I hope they please give it a traditional gearbox.. ya know, where YOU do the work. I also hope they give it good power and keep it a two door. By good, i'm talking 320whp/tq+ and RWD.

They will most likely botch this like the Charger simply to get sales. The charger was a complete let down and now you see morons all day long with "22's" on them.

blusmbl

Reaction score
Nice '70!

It is a shame they're bringing the Cuda name back, without bringing "Plymouth" back along with it.

I like the Challenger, I don't care for the Dart. Nothing retro about it. I do love the taillights on the new Chargers, though. Looks like they pulled them right off a 69/70.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score

2013 Dodge Derp \/

01-2013-dodge-dart628.jpg

Old Dodge Dart

1968-dart-GSS.jpg

Because they have nothing else, the dart is a Fiat, and so is the Cuda. Fiats have 4's, but the new motors have turbos and scream.

In order to meet the new mileage requirements car companies will have to downsize and use smaller motors for better MPG. The new "dart" looks great in my book but call it something else.

Fiat To Get 300 Horsepower From 1.8 Liters For Alfa Romeo

Alfa Romeo, and the specifications are impressive. While Alfa’s current high-output 1.75-liter engine makes 235 horsepower, the new Fiat engine will produce up to 300 horsepower, or nearly 167 horsepower per liter.

The all-aluminum engine achieves these numbers via the use of high pressure gasoline direct injection and turbocharging, and it will most likely debut in the limited production Alfa Romeo 4C coupe. The engine is deigned to be used in both transverse and longitudinal applications, which means that Alfa will eventually fit the powerplant to a range of vehicles.

reports that the 1.8-liter engine is designed to be compliant with both Euro 6 and upcoming U.S. emission standards, making it a true global product. In addition to the U.S. bound Alfa Romeo 4C, the engine will likely see duty in Alfa’s upcoming Giulia sedan, due here in 2014.

Fiat sees the engine as key to Alfa Romeo’s revival, and an important step towards relaunching the brand in the United States. Fiat’s chief technology officer and head of Alfa Romeo and Maserati, Harald Wester, says the engine is part of the automaker’s plan to reconnect Alfa Romeo to it’s historical roots as a premium Italian sports car brand. We can’t wait.

How about this?? :hmm:
alfa-romeo_100361306_m.jpg

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Nice '70!

It is a shame they're bringing the Cuda name back, without bringing "Plymouth" back along with it.

I like the Challenger, I don't care for the Dart. Nothing retro about it. I do love the taillights on the new Chargers, though. Looks like they pulled them right off a 69/70.

It's not supposed to be retro. Just using an old name on a totally new car.

dem00n

Reaction score
Doesnt really give any info on the Cuda, just tell us that it might have some Alfa parts? Well i don't think Dodge isnt going to **** this one up, rumors are the new Cuda will replace the Challenger. I give em hope.

Latest Threads