...and that day i made a strat body from scratch

Windir

Reaction score
My LP-disaster will be on hold for some time, until i have purchased a new neck blank. However i am tempted to throw the entire project to a fucking bonfire and start everything from scratch. But that's not what i am here to talk about this time. While i am waiting, i have started a quick little project.

Last summer i purchased a 2 m long piece of Tervaleppä(some kind of alder) which was raw sawn(tuppeensahattu) and it still had all the bark and it's thickness and width was very inconsistent thorough the blank. It had been standing in the storage just waiting to be used.

I don't have any pics before gluing up the blank, but essentially i cut the excess material from the edges, cut the wood to the correct lengths. Then i planed them and jointed them. It was quick and easy.
And here's what i ended up with

I know, there's alot of knots etc but this plank was cheap, and i find them somewhat charming in away. I had planed theseto 47 mm thickness before gluing. After i had glued them, i planed it to final thickness(45 mm).
Then i raw-cut the body

Btw i hate using a jigsaw. It took me an eternity to cut this. Also after i was finished, my hands started to tremble every time i would touch something. That would last hours. That's probably not a good sign.
And then, routing, routing, more routing, more, routing, and just a little bit.........routing. With my crappy template cutter of course, which leaves inconsistencies and burn marks everywhere. If i was paid for removing burns from wood, i would love this router bit.

I have routed pick-up cavities, neck pocket, control cavities and rebate for the back plate.

The cutting part of the router bit slipped under the template, even if the bearing was still on the template, leaving this kind of pleasant surprises

And the neck pocket is fucking ruined, and so are the pick up cavities. How is this even possible? Unbelievable! This was supposed to be a bolt on neck, but i am probably going to make a set neck instead.

Some pics of the body:

There's more pics on my imgur account. I am too lazy to add more.
I'll make something out of this. I plan to make a neck and fretboard later. This would have a TOM-bridge.

ARandall

Reaction score
How much wood are you trying to cut when you are routing??

In doing something like a neck pocket of course you use a drillbit to remove most of the wood, but even after that you don't just rout the rest out by following the template. Its only the very final 1mm of cut where you rest the router bearing on the template.
And that pattern should be followed for all passes.....a neck pocket usually takes 3 passes to get the depth for me. Like with the sides, the last is usually only cutting a fraction of depth as you want the cut to be very smooth and precise.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Reaction score
If the cutter on your bit can slip under the template even if the bearing is on the template, you need to take the bit outside and throw it as hard and as far away as you can and then buy a good bit.

And I heartily second what ARandall said. You need to remove the bulk of the wood with a Forster bit, and only leave a very small amount for the router, and take that remaining wood off in multiple passes.

A router can do amazing things, but it still requires time and patience to achieve a perfect cut.

Windir

Reaction score
I have read your replies, and i agree, i should have removed more material before routing. However, i won't use (my) forstner bits because they're dull and simply won't remove the material. I used regular drill bits, which worked just fine. I did remove most material from the edges so there would be even less material to remove. Still i ended up with this.
Once i can afford to purchase new bits, my current bits will go on ever-lasting holiday, to trash can.
Cheers.

mux164

Reaction score
It's all a learning curve you will get there, i still make really goofy mistakes check out my saf build threads and you will see I'm not lying.

Just square up the neck pocket and glue a piece back in there and re cut.

What I see is the body looks fine, just the neck pocket. I recently messed up a pocket on a Tele build. I have access to a thicknesser so I'm planing the top off and re doing it.

Trust me You will be right. Just a bit of planning and not rushing and you will see good results