And NO ONE took a knee...imagine that.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I will toss this in, before returning to the discussion of strings. I believe in everyone's right to protest whatever they want. However, I believe that our freedom of speech is just that, the freedom to say what we please. However, nowhere does it say that we are free from the repercussions of the content of our speech. "You" are free to say whatever you want and the rest of us will judge "You" upon the content of what you have to say. IN the civil society, that balance is what keeps the discourse civil.
And that is why I am very against any kind of hate speech laws.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I will toss this in, before returning to the discussion of strings. I believe in everyone's right to protest whatever they want. However, I believe that our freedom of speech is just that, the freedom to say what we please. However, nowhere does it say that we are free from the repercussions of the content of our speech. "You" are free to say whatever you want and the rest of us will judge "You" upon the content of what you have to say. IN the civil society, that balance is what keeps the discourse civil.
Major truth here!

Tone deaf

Reaction score
And that is why I am very against any kind of hate speech laws.

#metoo

There is no need for hate laws. The very first kernel of American law (that was Made in America, the Magna Carta and English Common Law are the basis for much of our legal system) reads "All men are created equal." It doesn't say anything about color, sexual preference, gender, religion, intelligence, ability or any other characteristic.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I will toss this in, before returning to the discussion of strings. I believe in everyone's right to protest whatever they want. However, I believe that our freedom of speech is just that, the freedom to say what we please. However, nowhere does it say that we are free from the repercussions of the content of our speech. "You" are free to say whatever you want and the rest of us will judge "You" upon the content of what you have to say. In the civil society, that balance is what keeps the discourse civil.
Well said,brother

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very few baby boomers were hippies and even fewer still went to Woodstock.

"Hippies", if truth be told, were far outnumbered by those that conformed to societal norms at the time.

Blame the generation if you want, but Hippies had little to do with ruining the economy.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was born in '57, didn't go to Woodstock, yet considered myself a hippie. Then, I discovered the power and the allure of the almighty dollar & started praying at that alter.

Deus Vult

Reaction score

"Hippies", if truth be told, were far outnumbered by those that conformed to societal norms at the time.

Blame the generation if you want, but Hippies had little to do with ruining the economy.
Average age of Woodstock attendees estimated to be 22. So that puts the average attendee born in 1947.

Yep. Boomers.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Average age of Woodstock attendees estimated to be 22. So that puts the average attendee born in 1947.

Yep. Boomers.
"Baby boomers are those people born worldwide between 1946 and 1964, the time frame most commonly used to define them. The first baby boomers reached the standard retirement age of 65 in 2011. There are about 76 million boomers in the U.S., representing about 29 percent of the population."

It's estimated that 200,000 people attended Woodstock.

Hard to believe that 2.5% of baby boomers had such a massive effect on the econony.

I guess I should have tried harder to get there, I would be filthy rich and kicking back by now...laughing at people like me who've had to work hard...

pnuggett

Reaction score
Were all people in their late teens and early 20's hippies back then?

I blame Beatniks for everything.

oicu812

Reaction score
#metoo

There is no need for hate laws. The very first kernel of American law (that was Made in America, the Magna Carta and English Common Law are the basis for much of our legal system) reads "All men are created equal." It doesn't say anything about color, sexual preference, gender, religion, intelligence, ability or any other characteristic.
Where were you in the "A real hate crime. Andy NGO" thread? I say the same thing in that thread and get crucified, but you get blessed here.

It's estimated that 200,000 people attended Woodstock.
Try 4 to 500,000

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Where were you in the "A real hate crime. Andy NGO" thread? I say the same thing in that thread and get crucified, but you get blessed here.

Try 4 to 500,000

View attachment 393132
Andy Ngo is afforded the same protections as any of us. He was violently assaulted. That is a crime. The perpetrators should be facing jail time. My point isn't that hate crimes don't happen, they do. My point is that everyone is protected by the law and specific "Hate crime" legislation is unnecessary to protect them, if the existing laws are appropriately applied.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I just want to give a shout out to both TonesaurusRex and Tone Deaf as examples of what is right about our country today. The fact that you both have strong differing opinions on important but contentious issues and yet you both remain committed to the idea of being respectful to each other and each others views is heartening to say the least; bravo to both of you. I hope people here take note of how you both are behaving, that's how you do it. Fine work from the sons of liberty, well done!
My best friends, throughout my life, have had opinions that differ significantly from mine. We have had countless intellectual battles throughout the years, yet we still love and respect one another. That is the foundation of the civil society. It is when differing opinions are criminalized and demonized that the wheels start coming off. A lot of it has to do with the coarsening of society. People can say things today that were verboten in the past. Civil discourse requires a respect for the other party and a respect for decency. It doesn't mean we're sipping tea and there are doilies on the table. It means that we respect each other's right to believe something different from what we believe.

Life would be insufferably boring if we all had the same opinions.

Tone deaf

Reaction score

I agree, The hippies are just emblematic of that generation. I went on in a later post to clarify that it is a distinct subset of that generation that has been the problem.

oicu812

Reaction score
Andy Ngo is afforded the same protections as any of us. He was violently assaulted. That is a crime. The perpetrators should be facing jail time. My point isn't that hate crimes don't happen, they do. My point is that everyone is protected by the law and specific "Hate crime" legislation is unnecessary to protect them, if the existing laws are appropriately applied.

Exactly. You will find that view is contrary to what many were saying.