Analysis Paralysis: I Can't Decide Which R8 to Keep

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score
Can you record them in a mix. Mix tones are vastly "different" than at home. Which feels better in your hands/plays better and/or allows for more confidence?
Good call. I can definitely do some recording.

The second is currently setup a little better and has slightly lower action. Aside from that, they both feel so incredibly similar that I'm not sure I could tell them apart. Neck shapes are practically identical.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Keep the one with the best feeling neck.

Same neck?

Keep the one with the stiffer neck and micro adjust the t.r., bridge & stopbar, pickup height, string composition until it does it all.

FKO

Reaction score
Return both and find one that hit all the right spots. Or you will have sleepless nights doubting your choice.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Pluck the low E string open, then immediately bend the G string up a step and a half at the ninth fret without plucking it.

Whichever guitar that drops the low E less in pitch has the stiffer neck, and usually several benefits can be associated with the stiffness.

You could also adjust the truss rod in very small increments in the .006 thru .014 relief (on a clock, half hour increments). There will be a sweet spot, somtimes backing off, sometimes increasing tension, where the whole guitar wakes up resonance wise. It will be very noticable which one has more, the sweet spots will be different on each one.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
P.S. a truly stiff neck won't drop any in pitch on a R8, until you're really cranking the G.

If the E drop more than a 1/4 step, the guitar is not what I consider a keeper. I've tested several cs lp's that were worse than this. Not all of them are keepers regardless of the price tag.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
I'd find a way to keep both of them lol. I think whichever one you end up sending back you will always have that slight pang of regret and "did I make the right choice"?

Still, I can imagine worse scenario's than the one you are in. I'd consider myself quite lucky if I were you

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pluck the low E string open, then immediately bend the G string up a step and a half at the ninth fret without plucking it.

Whichever guitar that drops the low E less in pitch has the stiffer neck, and usually several benefits can be associated with the stiffness.

You could also adjust the truss rod in very small increments in the .006 thru .014 relief (on a clock, half hour increments). There will be a sweet spot, somtimes backing off, sometimes increasing tension, where the whole guitar wakes up resonance wise. It will be very noticable which one has more, the sweet spots will be different on each one.
I tried this after you mentioned this with all my Historics,... My R7 (the monster neck), the two R8s, and my R9.... Doing this thru my tuner and found no pitch change..... However with my '61 SG/Les Paul reissue,... it did have a drop in pitch, but this may be because of the neck to body joint is different to a Les Paul. My Norlin maple neck Customs had no pitch change either. Still on my list to try are my Trads and 2013 Standard. I think the Standard will cry uncle,... very thin neck.

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score
I'd find a way to keep both of them lol. I think whichever one you end up sending back you will always have that slight pang of regret and "did I make the right choice"?

Still, I can imagine worse scenario's than the one you are in. I'd consider myself quite lucky if I were you
Yeah, I brought this on myself. LOL

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score

That's interesting! I hadn't heard that before.

Both drop the pitch approximately the same amount. Which also happens to be the same as my Traditional.

judson

Reaction score
how long do you have to decide?..

keep playing them both and one may emerge the winner and make the decision for you..

trust your ears

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score
how long do you have to decide?..

keep playing them both and one may emerge the winner and make the decision for you..

trust your ears
If I'm not mistaken, it's 30 days. I'll double check. If that's the case, I have about 3 weeks left.

blackie2

Reaction score
Are you primarily a lead player or rhythm? Pick the right tool for the job.

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score
Are you primarily a lead player or rhythm? Pick the right tool for the job.
I consider myself a rhythm guitarist, however I always seem to be the only guitarist in bands, so I end up with both rhythm and lead duties.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
That's interesting! I hadn't heard that before.

Both drop the pitch approximately the same amount. Which also happens to be the same as my Traditional.
Personally I would reject both of them, a fat neck shouldn't be floppy.

A stiff R8 shouldn't drop any, or VERY LITTLE in pitch with a step and a half bend. I played dozens and dozens of recent CS LP's and spent over a year looking before buying my R8 last year. Tone, sustain/resonance, tuning stability and setup stability are all much improved with a stiffer neck.

pgfitzgerald

Reaction score
Personally I would reject both of them, a fat neck shouldn't be floppy.

A stiff R8 shouldn't drop any, or VERY LITTLE in pitch with a step and a half bend. I played dozens and dozens of recent CS LP's and spent over a year looking before buying my R8 last year. Tone, sustain/resonance, tuning stability and setup stability are all much improved with a stiffer neck.
How would you define fat?

One is 0.916" at the 1st fret. The other is 0.913" at the 1st fret.

How would you define very little?

We talking no more than 5 cents or 25 cents or what?

Just making sure we're speaking the same language. :)

L96A1

Reaction score
It appears there is no keeper here. I’d return both if neither speaks to you.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
A balanced tone is important to me too. My Traditional is excellent in that regard. Both these R8s are pretty balanced.

The second R8 has a pleasant bell like quality on the low strings. They ring clean and clear. Very similar to my Traditional. That comes through the amp as well.

The first R8 is good, but lacks the bell like quality. I might change the strings on the first again just to see.

Any difference in the high end is more difficult to distinguish. But I’d say the first just barely wins. It has slightly more clarity on the high strings than the second. The only thing that (barely) stands out is the high E string doesn’t cut through quite as well on the second.

Overall, I’m leaning toward the second.

Do other folks do this sort of critical listening and analysis, or am I crazy? LOL
O.K., I'll bite. I can't stand it when people get so ANALytical on shit like this. First off, you are asking a subjective question. Only you can decide what you like, so why are you asking us? Second, if you play in a band setting like you say, by the time you hear it with drums, bass, and whatever else in the mix, it will greatly diminish what your anal ears are hearing anyway. Just me though, lol. Hey, you asked!