AnalogMan King Of Tone

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
I missed my email notification. When I checked in, my number was a couple months past. Mike said he'd send me the next one. It arrive a week later. I've bought over half a dozen pedals from him. Can't say enough in praise of Mike, his shop, an ya, his products. Fine fellow!

Happy new KoT day!!!

Reactions: Who

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.analogman.com/kotdelay.htm

Everything is explained well here.

Analogman is a very small shop consisting of just a few people, making each pedal by hand (except the Analog Delay and Prince of Tone). They can outsource it like many other pedal brands do, but they choose not to do to maintain both quality and staff.
Question:

Does it cost money to be put on a waiting list? Seems like that's how it should work if demand was this high. If there are a ton of people just putting themselves on a waiting list who don't actually intend on buying the pedal, that seems like a flawed model and would explain a 3 year waiting list lol.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
no cost upfront, which is good from my perspective. i don't mind waiting if its not my cash being held. As a contrast i really wanted some SD pafs, but the chap wants full amount upfront and a year wait. a lot can happen in a year, I could die, he could die, or he could retire and think stuff it. lol.

i saw that chinese one on ebay and was tempted, but with import taxes and duty added quite a bit to the UK cost more than dounle the dollar price quoted., plus i messaged the seller and they never responded, so i didn't bother. I have collected all the rare parts the KOT uses, so i might if time or motivation allow build one. i have a half assed attempt based a rehoused danelectro cool cat V1 and a prince of tone circuit in same case.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
no cost upfront, which is good from my perspective. i don't mind waiting if its not my cash being held. As a contrast i really wanted some SD pafs, but the chap wants full amount upfront and a year wait. a lot can happen in a year, I could die, he could die, or he could retire and think stuff it. lol.

i saw that chinese one on ebay and was tempted, but with import taxes and duty added quite a bit to the UK cost more than dounle the dollar price quoted., plus i messaged the seller and they never responded, so i didn't bother. I have collected all the rare parts the KOT uses, so i might if time or motivation allow build one. i have a half assed attempt based a rehoused danelectro cool cat V1 and a prince of tone circuit in same case.
Full price up front is different IMHO unless they're building you something very specific that's going to take more time. Like maybe a boutique amp or something. If anyone anywhere can just email them to be added to the list, and they email people who have sent them emails in the past, is it really a list? Seems like they're just reaching out to people who were once interested in the pedal. It's cool they honor folks who received an email several years ago.

But again, I don't really understand how they can't produce more pedals, even after I read the reasons why on their website. I understand it's handmade stuff. A few months sounds like a reasonable amount of time to wait on something. But 3 years? And the email confirmation telling you you're ready to order likely gets sent to your spam folder? LOL. The whole thing is just odd to me. Seems like there's a much better system that could be implemented to get people a pedal who actually want one. There's no way there are THAT many guitar players, gear heads who want to drop $200-$300 on a pedal they've never tried, for there to be a 3 year wait for one.

Last edited:

Emiel

Reaction score
Question:

Does it cost money to be put on a waiting list? Seems like that's how it should work if demand was this high. If there are a ton of people just putting themselves on a waiting list who don't actually intend on buying the pedal, that seems like a flawed model and would explain a 3 year waiting list lol.
I think this is pretty much the case with many people being on the list that a. don't buy it immediately or b. want a buy to earn a buck by reselling it straight away.

To be honest, I don't think whether there would be a better way of selling these. Ferrari works with waiting lists too, and you'll need to pay a healthy amount in advance to get on it...

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is pretty much the case with many people being on the list that a. don't buy it immediately or b. want a buy to earn a buck by reselling it straight away.

To be honest, I don't think whether there would be a better way of selling these. Ferrari works with waiting lists too, and you'll need to pay a healthy amount in advance to get on it...
I think requiring a small deposit would help, like 5% or something. This weeds out some of the people who send an email and don't really want the pedal or plan to resell it for 3x the cost.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very surprised, especially given that the circuit itself has been traced (not to mention that it's origin pedal, the Marshall Bluesbreaker has also been traced), that more people don't simply build one themselves.

i have to imagine that many people simply:

a.) Want to support Mike and Analog Man;
b.) Want the KoT because of it's high build quality and don't get into the whole DIY thing.

On the other hand, there have to be some folks simply looking at it as an investment in the sense that a finished pedal could demand a high price on the secondary market.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, there have to be some folks simply looking at it as an investment in the sense that a finished pedal could demand a high price on the secondary market.
This. It's the "Klon" status thing. I traced this pedal. The circuit is standard fare, but with nicely designed value tweaks that just sound good.
Also, the circuit is nothing without the layout.....so unless you can DIY with a savvy ground plane and layout like the KOT, it's going to be noisy.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think whether there would be a better way of selling these.
If I took over that company today I would hire more people and crank them out. It's a pedal FFS!

BUT.....but, but, but.....I think there is some marketing genius going on here. How do you make people CRAVE to have something? Make it rare. Make them wait. The unobtanium holy grail. Us guitar players are suckers for that shit!

ARandall

Reaction score
^ That builds a hype for sure.
But its not a long term strategy because hype tends to be transitory. Once you're riding the wave its usually better to upscale - of course the exception is if you have to vastly capitalise to do so.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the list is made longer because of speculators, i think you can have four places in the queue. Although having said that i don't see a lot for sale so maybe not a lot of scalping going on. i have a cheapo clone version now cost me under £100.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three pedals in my Marshall chain: Two of them are Analogman products. KOT and a silver mod tube screamer.

The KOT was well worth waiting for my turn on the wait list.

I also have a beano boost plugged into my FX loop for the Fender Blue Deluxe RI.

Every other pedal I have bought through out the years gather dust in their boxes.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, what a revelation i had today, finally read the manual properly on my clone, turned the inside pots to max and bam! my les paul sounds like mana from heaven. suddenly all the things i have read about using the guitars tone controls finally makes sense. (its a bit OT at the moment, turned all the way up, just enjoying the extreme values at the moment). I'll prolly turn the internal pots back to mid point, but the hype about the KOT makes sense now. That internal pot is a mid boost that makes a Les Paul sing. Why its turned to minimum by default I don't know.

Reactions: Who

scrumm21

Reaction score
haha was inspired to check old emails...I had forgotten when i went on list

Website advises as of Aug 31st 2021 those who went on list Sept 25th 2017 are being served.

I went on list May 9th 2018

:rofl:

( also when I picked up his Prince o Tone, which I enjoy very much)

Latest Threads