AnalogMan King Of Tone

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't believe how much I love, love, love this pedal.

That's all....just had to say it! :D

So, I stumbled onto this thread accidently. And, I am glad that I did.

I completely forgot that I had my name on the list for years & years. Apparently, back in 2016, I was sent an email notifying me that I had reached the top of the list and was then eligible to buy one. For whatever reason, I either ignored the email, never remembered receiving it, or forgot about it...

Until I read this thread.

I searched through my email archives, and low & behold... I found the email, dated June 20, 2016. Holy shit!!!

Wondering if my time had come and gone, I sent a note to Mike, including his original email to me (from 2016), and asked if I was still able to buy a KOT.... later that day, he sent me a reply with a link to purchase one. Wow!

That is just cool, beyond words. Needless to say, I just ordered my KOT.

Kudo's to Mike for not only taking the time to find me in his systems, but also (and most importantly) for being gracious enough to allow me to purchase the pedal, four years later.

I'm stoked!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I completely forgot that I had my name on the list for years & years. Apparently, back in 2016, I was sent an email notifying me that I had reached the top of the list and was then eligible to buy one. For whatever reason, I either ignored the email, never remembered receiving it, or forgot about it...

I searched through my email archives, and low & behold... I found the email, dated June 20, 2016. Holy shit!!!

Wondering if my time had come and gone, I sent a note to Mike, including his original email to me (from 2016), and asked if I was still able to buy a KOT.... later that day, he sent me a reply with a link to purchase one. Wow!

Kudo's to Mike for not only taking the time to find me in his systems, but also (and most importantly) for being gracious enough to allow me to purchase the pedal, four years later.

I'm stoked!
Let me tell ya....i still love mine to pieces......always discovering new settings....lately I've been setting it to very subtle settings....like a klon, i think this is where it shrines

The Ballzz

Reaction score
@Freddy G
While I rarely reply to a thread without fully reading it, I simply couldn't wade through 4 years of stories about waiting lists for tid bits of info about tone! I got about as far as you talking about reverse engineering and building your own. Have you tackiled this yet? Here's the nitty gritty and questions to go with it.

All my rigs/amps operate the same even though they may sound different from each other. I get all my tonal and character variety from one or another well dialed in member of the Holy Trinity! The only effects used are a wah, chorus, built in or through the loop reverb and my addictive tap tempo delay, also in the loop (he's the other guitarist in my three piece). The only boost I ever need is for a "standard-ish" SSS Strat, and then only occasionally for solos, almost anything can be okay for any of the single pickup positions. AND........ when using the "quack tone" positions #2 & sometimes #4. I love those sounds but whenever I boost them, the "quackiness" gets lost. I'd love to use those tones for some solos, but once they get activated, the volume level actually drops a bit. A graphic EQ, set flat but with it's volume (not gain) boosted comes kinda close, but not great.

And now the main question: Can this KOT give a boost to those quack positions, without destroying the quack? From most that I read and gather, I could use one side for my quack boost and the other for my standard single coil boost and/or combine the two sides for "Holy Mother Of Hell?" Good quacks are very delicately achieved and so easy to lose, if not well pampered!

That Is My Quest,
Gene

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Let me tell ya....i still love mine to pieces......always discovering new settings....lately I've been setting it to very subtle settings....like a klon, i think this is where it shrines
I hope that I love it. I honestly don't think that I'll be playing out any longer (retirement is great), so the "need" is no longer there.

Hey, if it doesn't blow my skirt up, you'll see it n the classifieds here.

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Analog KOT
Analog Analog Man Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer w/ silver mod
Anlogmna Beano boost

Doesn't get any better than that in your chain

jwinger

Reaction score

I'm stoked!
I had a similar experience with Kingsley and the Serf pedal. I had asked Simon to built me an ep2 preamp in a box. When it was just about due to be built I changed my mind and cancelled. Emailed about a year later having regretted cancelling and he told me he had something similar - the serf - and would honour my previous wait. It shipped in a day or two. Fantastic service and fantastic pedal. Chase tone also deserve a mention for outstanding customer service

Mike J.

Reaction score
For those who wanna bridge the long waiting time with a great sounding, cheap alternative...

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@Freddy G
While I rarely reply to a thread without fully reading it, I simply couldn't wade through 4 years of stories about waiting lists for tid bits of info about tone! I got about as far as you talking about reverse engineering and building your own. Have you tackiled this yet? Here's the nitty gritty and questions to go with it.

All my rigs/amps operate the same even though they may sound different from each other. I get all my tonal and character variety from one or another well dialed in member of the Holy Trinity! The only effects used are a wah, chorus, built in or through the loop reverb and my addictive tap tempo delay, also in the loop (he's the other guitarist in my three piece). The only boost I ever need is for a "standard-ish" SSS Strat, and then only occasionally for solos, almost anything can be okay for any of the single pickup positions. AND........ when using the "quack tone" positions #2 & sometimes #4. I love those sounds but whenever I boost them, the "quackiness" gets lost. I'd love to use those tones for some solos, but once they get activated, the volume level actually drops a bit. A graphic EQ, set flat but with it's volume (not gain) boosted comes kinda close, but not great.

And now the main question: Can this KOT give a boost to those quack positions, without destroying the quack? From most that I read and gather, I could use one side for my quack boost and the other for my standard single coil boost and/or combine the two sides for "Holy Mother Of Hell?" Good quacks are very delicately achieved and so easy to lose, if not well pampered!

That Is My Quest,
Gene

Gene,
No I have not reverse engineered. As far as keeping quack in tact, I can't answer that. I rarely use the quack positions for any sound other than clean.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mine arrived. I've been messing with it for a while and I am just not sure that I want to keep it.

If I were continuing to play out, I would definitely add it to my pedalboard. But, I don't think I'm going to gig any longer, so I'm considering letting it go. I'm going to take a little longer before deciding, though.

bluesoul

Reaction score
Mine arrived. I've been messing with it for a while and I am just not sure that I want to keep it.
IMO the KOT is way over hyped. Now don't get me wrong, it is a very nice OD but nothing THAT special. I do like the KOT (and the POT), but I could easily replace it and have no regrets. But if you keep it, it won't loose any value!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold mine few weeks back, I am not at a level in terms of playing and/or understanding/hearing the finesse of the touch response yet. I am on the list and will buy again in a couple of years. My waza blues driver and Timmy are doing me proud at mo. I had a bit of epiphany today though, after I downloaded the PC demo of amplitude 5 with the vintage 20w marshall head, and whilst it may not be the best of the modelling options, I felt for the first time how an amp responds to the way you play, and it was good. That and the 16 sample latency and high sample-rate, reduced latency to under 4ms, it felt like playing a real amp.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, upon further review, I think I will sell it. it's really nice and it sounds fucking great. I just have no real need for it, since I'm not gonna gig any more.

So, if you guys know anyone who wants it - lemme know. I see people asking stupid prices on Reverb and Ebay. I couldn't ask that much. I think around $500 + shipping is a good deal. Or, not. I don't know.

Edit: Upon further review... my wife told me that I was an idiot for selling it, soooooooooooo I may not sell it.
Pussy whipped, I am
:laugh2:

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold mine for $750 which paid 1/2 the deposit on that gold top I just bought. I chucked in a nos Burr Brown op-amp.

bluesoul

Reaction score
Well, upon further review, I think I will sell it. it's really nice and it sounds fucking great. I just have no real need for it, since I'm not gonna gig any more.

So, if you guys know anyone who wants it - lemme know. I see people asking stupid prices on Reverb and Ebay. I couldn't ask that much. I think around $500 + shipping is a good deal. Or, not. I don't know.

Edit: Upon further review... my wife told me that I was an idiot for selling it, soooooooooooo I may not sell it.
Pussy whipped, I am
:laugh2:
A good deal today on a used one is 650.00. Brand new like yours... 700-750.00.

bluesoul

Reaction score
And btw for anyone who does not like to wait for shit(like me)..... 68pedals in china makes a spot on clone called “all seeing eyes”. Build quality is really good and mine sounds identical to my KOT. 130.00 shipping! Sold on Ebay. No bs on this one... it really is that good comparison wise!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to taking some pix of it, since I'm sure that no one has seen what they look like before this :laugh2:

It has the high-gain option on the Red side and the external distortion selector switch.

KOT-3.JPG

KOT-4.JPG

KOT-1.JPG

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm stoked!
Maybe the waiting list is so long because they waited 5 years for you to reply to that email from 2016 :hmm:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maybe the waiting list is so long because they waited 5 years for you to reply to that email from 2016 :hmm:

What Mike told me when I contacted him was, you never lose your place in line. As long as you reached the top of the list, you are always eligible to order. It does nothing to add to the length of the queue. They simply continue on without you, until you order. No one waits because of you.

Mike runs a pretty tight ship and he takes care of customers. You don't see too much of that these days.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Mike told me when I contacted him was, you never lose your place in line. As long as you reached the top of the list, you are always eligible to order. It does nothing to add to the length of the queue. They simply continue on without you, until you order. No one waits because of you.

Mike runs a pretty tight ship and he takes care of customers. You don't see too much of that these days.
Lol forgot to use purple. Sounds like a cool guy/company. I'm still trying to figure out how it takes 2-3 years to get this pedal. It took 1 year and 45 days to build The Empire State Building in the 1930's. You're telling me these guys can't pump out a few pedals within a few months? I know there are a lot of guitar players out there, but I imagine there are fewer gear heads who want this specific pedal. I almost think the 2-3 year wait list is a marketing ploy, and an attempt to create intense hype on forums like TGP and MLP. "That many people want this thing, wow! it must be good! Sign me up!"

There is a sense of satisfaction when you have something everyone wants. The Bogner XTC 3534 was out of stock nearly everywhere when it was first available at the end of 2019. I ordered mine from a smaller, lesser known retailer while people were put on waiting lists with Sweetwater and the other big boys. Posting a picture of the amp on the Bogner forums and being one of the cool kids felt good...

Emiel

Reaction score
Lol forgot to use purple. Sounds like a cool guy/company. I'm still trying to figure out how it takes 2-3 years to get this pedal. It took 1 year and 45 days to build The Empire State Building in the 1930's. You're telling me these guys can't pump out a few pedals within a few months? I know there are a lot of guitar players out there, but I imagine there are fewer gear heads who want this specific pedal. I almost think the 2-3 year wait list is a marketing ploy, and an attempt to create intense hype on forums like TGP and MLP. "That many people want this thing, wow! it must be good! Sign me up!"

There is a sense of satisfaction when you have something everyone wants. The Bogner XTC 3534 was out of stock nearly everywhere when it was first available at the end of 2019. I ordered mine from a smaller, lesser known retailer while people were put on waiting lists with Sweetwater and the other big boys. Posting a picture of the amp on the Bogner forums and being one of the cool kids felt good...
https://www.analogman.com/kotdelay.htm

Everything is explained well here.

Analogman is a very small shop consisting of just a few people, making each pedal by hand (except the Analog Delay and Prince of Tone). They can outsource it like many other pedal brands do, but they choose not to do to maintain both quality and staff.

Latest Threads