AnalogMan King Of Tone

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
I want one but im impatient and dont wanna pay what most sell used for.
I have heard anything bad from anyone whos actually played one, only from the typical haters that dont wanna believe the hype.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I love those guys and have been to their shop here in Connecticut to get my TS-9 mucked with. If I didn't already have that and a BB Preamp which I love on my board I'd bite the bullet and add a KOT. Worth every penny IMHO. Great sounding pedal.

Heppe

Reaction score
I signed myself up for one a few months ago, will be an impatient 18 months...����

5F6-A

Reaction score
I like what the Bluesbreaker MK1 circuit can do.... the fancy Analogman version is as tasty and far more flexible. Enjoy it, Freddy. Will you share some clips? :hmm:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like what the Bluesbreaker MK1 circuit can do.... the fancy Analogman version is as tasty and far more flexible. Enjoy it, Freddy. Will you share some clips? :hmm:
When I first tried the KOT at home I have to admit I was a little disappointed.
I thought...meh....I waited a year and a half for this?

But once I started using it in a band situation in front of a tube amp that was already hot (just going into output tube distortion) it was a whole nother ball game!

Yeah I'll share a clip of it soon....gimme a few days.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score

But once I started using it in a band situation in front of a tube amp that was already hot (just going into output tube distortion) it was a whole nother ball game!

It seems like most Fulltone pedals are notorious for that. It sucks at home and rocks in a band.
It's my favorite thing about them.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score

:thumb:

It can sometimes be tough discussing dirt pedals here as you have to figure out what context someone is using a pedal when they discuss it. A lot of pedals that sound GREAT in a band situation sound like ass at home because they're pushing a lot of mids/high mids. Tubescreamers immediately come to mind as they sound like hell as a standalone overdrive pedal at livingroom volume; but, blast one through a cranked up tube amp and BOOM!

My home sounds and band sounds are polar opposites - with my band, it's TONS of midrange to keep separation from the drums, bass and other guitar player; at home, lots of lows and highs are added to make up for the lack of bass and drums.

The King of Tone is good at home as well as live, but it really shines live though. I played this one show where we had to play through house amps so I brought my LP and just the KoT; the amp I used was a Blues Jr and I set it to be mostly clean with a little bit of hair then whomped it with the KoT. The guitar player in another band playing that night complimented that my LP sounded great but I admitted to him that the pedal had a lot to do with it.

Thrill

Reaction score
My number/group has been called fir a couple months now, just habent had the money to actually order it yet. Maybe next payday ill be able to order it.

I mentioned it a while ago when i first got the you can order now email, and actually had someone contact me and offer me some money to sell my spot lol. I waited a yeat and a half+, noway id sell it off now unless it was insane money lol. Ill get it sooner or later

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My number/group has been called fir a couple months now, just habent had the money to actually order it yet. Maybe next payday ill be able to order it.

I mentioned it a while ago when i first got the you can order now email, and actually had someone contact me and offer me some money to sell my spot lol. I waited a yeat and a half+, noway id sell it off now unless it was insane money lol. Ill get it sooner or later
It's such a great pedal....I'd give up every pedal on my board before that one.

5F6-A

Reaction score
How do you use it, Freddy? I can see you're loving it.

moreles

Reaction score
Analog Mike has been a generous resource for the effects community and a real contributor to the custom/advanced pedal movement that has yielded so many great options for players. I am reluctant to credit reviews which claim, as so many do, that this or that pedal totally transformed everything, Holy-Grail-style, tonally, for the player. If you've been playing a while, you doubtless keep moving towards sounds you have heard or want to hear, closing in as you go through guitar, parts, amps, pedals... Particularly for boost or OD, we're not really talking about some crazy new sound, are we? We're talking about responsiveness and tone in an area that has gotten loads of really great attention from 808 days through today. Frankly, I think it's probably more reassuring to hear the tonal improvements Freddy describes than to witness some kind of miracle. I got a Klon back when they were to be had for $400, based on one good review. That pedal, too, is not a miracle in a box. It's actually much better than that. Like the KOT, it's a helpful, useful improvement in the most basic part of the signal chain. It helps with the responsiveness of my guitars, and it improves the tones I can get. That pedal and the KOT are the ones that IMO really do this function wonderfully. How they help is much, much better than an obvious, major change in sound. So glad to hear good reviews of the KOT. Love to reward masterful, dedicated pedal designers!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How do you use it, Freddy? I can see you're loving it.
I use the red side as overdrive. I set the amp up so it's in that magic spot where the output tubes just start to go non-linear. Then when I want a heavier crunch I step on the red side with the tone set around 1 or 2 o'clock, nice bite. Then (with the red side still on)the real magic happens when I step on the yellow side....it's like a clean boost but not exactly that clean...I set the tone on the yellow side to about 10 o'clock so it's cutting highs, but what it really does is make a single note fat as hell, and I turn the volume up so it slams the poor motherlovin' input tube. The whole amp just screams then....notes seem to effortlessly explode off the fretboard, even with a strat.
The amazing thing about all this is that even with dual boosts and drive the pedal is so quiet. I've used pedals in combo in the past to get this same effect but the noise was always horrendous.

Goldtopper

Reaction score
Yeah, I love the KOT. When I got on the waiting list, it was like 8 months long. Then they went on vacation. LOL. So about 20 months later my group comes up. This is about 6 months after I stop working - and my girl's like "you want to buy a pedal for your guitar?! And it's HOW much?!".

But this pedal is totally worth it. I know I could probably sell it, and make around $150 profit, but what this pedal does for my sound is worth way more than the going rate to me. A friend asked me about it recently, and I told him that it won't make a crappy amp sound any less crappy, but it somehow makes an amazing amp even more amazing. Imagine you have a tone that you really like, and it's like peanut butter. Well, the KOT is chocolate. The peanut butter is great, but the chocolate elevates and compliments it. Or imagine your tone is creamed spinach and cigarette butts. Adding chocolate will not really do that much for you.

I agree with the guy above- I live in the city and most clubs have backlines and many times will discourage you from bringing along some huge rig- so when I've done gigs I bring a tuner, a Junior, some cables, and my trusty KOT. (& some adult refreshments). And I'm all set.

IronWeso

Reaction score
I put myself on the wait list just because I might want one in 18 months. ;)

Latest Threads