An odd little Fender I picked up over the Summer...

Makeitstop

Reaction score
As usual, I did some wheeling and dealing over the Summer, and here's one guitar I got in a trade for the Ibanez Artist that fell out of the rotation...

lead-1.jpg

lead-1-2.jpg

It's a 1979 Fender Lead I, which Fender introduced in '79 to replace most of their 'student' guitars (Mustang, Duo Sonic, Musicmaster), and they only sold the Lead series (introducing a Lead II in 1980) for two years. It's got a single Seth Lover-designed humbucker, controlled by a coil selector switch and a phase switch. Hardtail bridge with string-through like a Tele.

This one is in really great shape for its age, with minimal wear and tear. The finish is hard to see in the pics, but it's actually a transparent red, like an SG finish.

Two things are surprising about this guitar. First, the weight - this thing weighs nearly 10 pounds, more than a couple of my LPs! Second, the very narrow neck width at the nut - I believe it's 1.6" width. Takes a little getting used to with my ham hands, but after playing it for a while it starts to get real comfy.

There isn't a whole lot of tonal variation from the switching, which is understandable because the two coils of the HB are right next to one another - but it does deliver a pretty nice single-coil tone. Overall, a pretty cool guitar.

- D

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like it!

Even if it is 10 lbs, lol.

Guitar Joe

Reaction score
It's looking a little cramped in that case........

nice guitar!

Mule Train

Reaction score
Sharp guitar. It would be cool for a kids first or second guitar, then later on they could say "I started out on a 79' Strat!"

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They built the early ones with Ash bodies, later switching to Alder.

I can only imagine some poor kid wrestling with the weight of one of those 'student' guitars. :laugh2:

- D

Haha that'll learn em! Lol!

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Wow, not seen one of those since they came out. Not sure I ever held one in my hands, but I remember the ads in Guitar Player magazine for them. That one looks like a time capsule guitar. Nice score! Might be tempting to add a tele pickup in the neck...

Makeitstop

Reaction score
Wow, not seen one of those since they came out. Not sure I ever held one in my hands, but I remember the ads in Guitar Player magazine for them. That one looks like a time capsule guitar. Nice score! Might be tempting to add a tele pickup in the neck...

I haven't popped the hood yet, but I'm told that all those Lead bodies were routed for two pickups, so I could probably drop one in if I wanted.

But I kinda dig it stock. I'm not playing it out much, but the couple of times I did take it to a gig it performed well.

- D

jd2112

Reaction score
I had a Lead II .It had 2 slanted single coils on it.Sounded good .Was stolen in 2002 . I hope the turd burgler that stole it gets aids herpes syphilis and gohnorea and dies a miserable death.

Makeitstop

Reaction score
I had a Lead II .It had 2 slanted single coils on it.Sounded good .Was stolen in 2002 . I hope the turd burgler that stole it gets aids herpes syphilis and gohnorea and dies a miserable death.

And then gets run over by a bus!

Gear thieves are scum. Hangin's too good for them.

- D

mcphaul

Reaction score
Sharp guitar. It would be cool for a kids first or second guitar, then later on they could say "I started out on a 79' Strat!"

That was my first guitar. I bought mine in about '84 because my neighbor bought a Blonde Tele and we wanted to learn to play guitar.

I sold it to another buddy in probably '87/'88 to buy a true Strat. I bought it back from him in '07 and gave it to my son to be his first guitar.

My son wants to play drums so I never really fixed it after the repurchase. I might need to do that.:slash:

BTW: The Edge played on for a while and so did Eric Clapton iirc

Attachments

• Fender Lead.jpg
    Fender Lead.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 23

mcphaul

Reaction score
StrangerNY, any way I could get a copy of that owners manual from you?

Thanks,

Latest Threads