An interesting look at gun control.

jomo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's very simple.
I buy a gun in a legitimate manner through a gun store. They run a background check with the bureau of investigation. The chances of me using that gun in a crime, knowing they have my number are slim to none.
I buy a gun off the street from a thug with absolutely no traces back to me, I can do whatever I want with it and unless I physically get caught, I'm good to go.
Gun control will only stop the first scenario. If guns are taken from the honest citizens then only the criminals will have them. Why is this controversial?
Do you anti-gun people want only criminals to have guns? Legitimate gun carriers/owners have to go through rigorous training to carry. For the first time ever, I'm applying to carry, my training starts on the 19th of this month. I've been shooting for 20 years and I won't carry in public without proper training and a permit.

slither

Reaction score
As I said in my post, I'm not trying to change anyones point of view on this. It's futile and pointless. And yes, we have the same controls and checks and all that for those who choose to legally own a firearm. My points were one, that we don't have an overiding gun culture in our society in Australia, and the overwhelming majority don't feel that they need one in order to give themsleves a sense of secutiry.

Secondly, I felt it was unfair to illustrate the gun control measures introduced in Australia with statistics from countries that in the past used gun control as a means to disarm, weaken then eliminate a section of society, be it politcal, social or ethnic, that those dictarorial regemes felt were a threat to their power. A study of Australian history would show that we have never had anywhere near a resemblence of that level of political authoritarianism.

Come and live in Australia for a period of time and you may well see things from our perspective. I'm equally sure that if I lived in the United States that I may well feel the need to be tooled up wherever I went. Please don't judge and measure us by the standards which apply to your society. We aren't the same and our individual societies have evolved differently over the centuries since European settlement, regardless of the common language we share and our superficial similiarities.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's very simple.
I buy a gun in a legitimate manner through a gun store. They run a background check with the bureau of investigation. The chances of me using that gun in a crime, knowing they have my number are slim to none.
I buy a gun off the street from a thug with absolutely no traces back to me, I can do whatever I want with it and unless I physically get caught, I'm good to go.
Gun control will only stop the first scenario. If guns are taken from the honest citizens then only the criminals will have them. Why is this controversial?
Do you anti-gun people want only criminals to have guns? Legitimate gun carriers/owners have to go through rigorous training to carry. For the first time ever, I'm applying to carry, my training starts on the 19th of this month. I've been shooting for 20 years and I won't carry in public without proper training and a permit.

kinda like those merchandise alarms at the entrances to stores. the only people those stop are paying customers who forgot to pay for something (or the salesguy didnt disarm it at the register). the shoplifter will simply run, knowing that the employees cannot physically touch them (lawsuit).

roadsong66

Reaction score
Chicago has had a very strict gun ban in effect since 1982.

A recent Chicago Tribune article reported that over the course the last year, 508 school shootings took place in Chicago resulting in the deaths of 16 kids. If guns have been banned in Chicago for 27 years, then it is obvious that the overwhelming number of the guns used in these school shootings were obtained illegally...it also shows that gun bans do not work.

I believe there have been many non-biased studies done on CCW that has proven that cities that allow concealed carry have less violent crime.

roadsong66

Reaction score
USP45Tim,

What is your source for your article? I'd like to use it on a political forum I debate on. I will need the source or the whiny anti-gun weenies will say I am making up statistics just to support my argument.

I miss the old Avatar! Did you take it down for Easter?

kevin134

Reaction score
Chicago has had a very strict gun ban in effect since 1982.

A recent Chicago Tribune article reported that over the course the last year, 508 school shootings took place in Chicago resulting in the deaths of 16 kids. If guns have been banned in Chicago for 27 years, then it is obvious that the overwhelming number of the guns used in these school shootings were obtained illegally...it also shows that gun bans do not work.

I believe there have been many non-biased studies done on CCW that has proven that cities that allow concealed carry have less violent crime.

well, the gun stores outside of chicago contributred to a lot of problems by selling to straw buyers. Was at a store and watched some come in.. straw buyer would hold up the gun so others with her could see it, they would nod yes or no.. I told the shop when they left that I reccomend they not sell to those people if they come back.. and the fools said that if they came back and wanted to buy they'd have to sell to her or be accused of racism. Total BS, the atf will back up any shop that refuses sales, and if you sell knowingly you are just as wrong as the buyer.. I have no idea how that shop still has a license to sell guns...

ZoomZilla

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
LOL. Gun control! Gun control to me is using both hands.

But seriously, Criminals do not go through proper channels to get guns, so if law abiding citizens could not have guns, it would make them easy targets for crime. A thief would have to think twice before breaking into my house if he has no idea if I am armed. Which I am by the way. But if he knew I did not have a gun, he would come right in.

Lyrica

Songwriting Machine
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i asked my Mistress what She thought of gun control and She said, "it means the only guns are in the hands of the criminals." i replied, "and the government" She said, "that's what i said, criminals" :laugh2:

USP45Tim

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't have the original link. :( I figured it was time for a change so I put this one up. lol... But I have a feeling that the old one will be back!

USP45Tim,

What is your source for your article? I'd like to use it on a political forum I debate on. I will need the source or the whiny anti-gun weenies will say I am making up statistics just to support my argument.

I miss the old Avatar! Did you take it down for Easter?

slither

Reaction score

Thank you Mr Bones. For everyone else, read the full article attached to that link about reading into the full breakdown of those statistics quoted on gun control in Australia and how statistics can be manipulated and distorted to support a particular view on an argument.

To emphasise my original dispute with this arguement, please don't use some ropey statistics about an increase in crime in the country I live in and then compare it to the mass murders of political disidents and ethnic minorities in countries which were under the rule of totalitarian regemes, and perpetrated by the military, the police or any other government agency, as a means of entrenching and strengthening their hold on power, and use it to illustrate your views on the folly of gun control. You are comparing a small criminal element in our society with government sanctioned killing. It's a gross and unfair distortion.

What exists in your country works for you. Fine. I'm not trying to change that, or your views on that. What applies in the USA doesn't apply here. Don't then try and beat us over the head for what we do here. There are deep and complex historical and social reasons for why our respective countries have evolved with differing views on gun ownership. Let's just leave it at that.

Latest Threads